Class size...just curious :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by collteach, Aug 15, 2005.

1. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 15, 2005

I am just curious everyone...how many students are in your class this year (if you have started school)??

I have a much larger class this year than last. I have 27 children currently enrolled...but school doesn't start until August 25th, so I am sure we will get a few more enrollments...that is how it goes in a military community. I have to honestly say that I am quite nervous about having so many students. Even when I taught middle school, the largest class I had was 25. I am very worried that I won't be able to reach all of my students or that I won't be able to do a lot of the fun, hands-on activities that I did last year when I had 20 students.

I think the biggest worry that I have is that the kids come from VERY small 3rd grade classes....they did not have more than 17 kids in any of the 3rd grade rooms...and they expect A LOT of time and attention from their teacher. I dealt with that last year because the 3rd grades were even smaller the year before.

So, if any of you have larger classes....can you give me some tips or advice??

Thanks so much :)

3. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

Collteach

I am scheduled to have about 22 students in class this year, but we don't start until 9-6

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 15, 2005

5. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 16, 2005

HOLY COW! I really don't think it is fair that some people have 14 students....and yet I am expected to teach DOUBLE and have them master the curriculum just as well as those kids in tiny classes. I AM JEALOUS!!!

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 16, 2005

I have 20 -2nd grade children for this year and 6 of them are special education children. Last year I had 23, and 8 of them were special education children.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 16, 2005

Yep. WE do what's best for children...I'd love to even have 20! There is no room in my room for anything else except desks! I'm about ready to stack them on top of eachother.

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 16, 2005

I have 23 kindergartners so far and that was of July 27th. I haven't checked in as for August registrations (which are usually high) so not sure of how many I have at this point. Our district supposedly puts a "cap" on the number of students, but this my 3rd year and the "cap" doesn't mean a whole lot! I am hoping to not have more that 25 otherwise I need to go scrounging for more tables and that can be tough when we are all looking for extra tables! :(

9. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Aug 16, 2005

Well my first year of teaching I had 16. Then I had a class of 27 that went down to 22. Then this past school year I had 13 that went down to 11. This year I am supposed to have 21, but there are to rumored problems with bussing with the area we get our students from, so now I am not sure how many I'll have! I guess I'll find out on the first!

10. Turtle712

Turtle712 Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

my list is at 23 fourth graders and i think that is perfect! my friend on the other hand has a class full of 33 kindergarteners (with one aid)!! I think that is way too many children in one room! :eek:

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

16 students. I am not supposed to get over 18. We will see.

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 16, 2005

I'm at 15 kids in home room..the lowest I've ever had, but that puts me in line to get the next couple new kids. I have 21 for math and 15 for reading.

Pam

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

I'm down to 20 in my class as of yesterday...but when I go in tomorrow, it could be different!

14. dee

dee Companion

Aug 16, 2005

Well, I am holding at 11 and I am ecstatic. I do have two no shows. We started last Friday.

15. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I have 24 in my homeroom. My partner teacher has 24 as well, which means 48 all together in the fifth grade. We gained one today and we don't start school until Tuesday so I am sure we will gain at least one more!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2005

I have 14 in my homeroom class- the teacher across the hall has 12, and the teacher next door has 13. One has 16. The two fourth grade teachers who are co-teaching have the same as me, or one may have 15.

14 is the smallest I have had.

In math, I may have about 20-25. Maybe a few less.

Last year, I had 18 in my homeroom and I was fine with that... there were 21 in my reading group and I was still fine with that.

In internship up in St. Augustine, I had 25 second-graders, and I was also fine with that!

However, for the school newspaper this year, I have THIRTY. Yes, thirty. Twenty girls and ten boys in either fourth or fifth grade. (hums "Hail to the Chief" with a hint of violin) I may be slightly worried... yet it'll be invigorating in all... :)

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 16, 2005

I just started student teaching yesterday, and so far we have 30 second graders in our class. There is even one first grade class that has 32 kids. It is ridiculous. It is a low socioeconomic district, and I believe this district receives the most funding in the state, but yet they can't hire a few teachers per school to lower class sizes. I'm new at this, but I would think that if they truely cared about student learning they would lower class sizes. This makes me sad. :(

18. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I've got 16 first graders.

19. melissa74

melissa74 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

This is my sixth year of teaching and my smallest class, 13!!!!! I have had 22 or more all of the other years and have to say I am looking soooo forward to a much smaller class! I think we all deserve a year like this!!

20. FLteacher22

FLteacher22 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

I have two classes - my morning class has 24 students and my afternoon class has 25 fourth graders

21. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Im curious to know how all of you have such low numbers for 4th and 5th grade. I teach in CA and our "law" which doesnt exactly have to be followed is 20 students to 1 teacher for grades k-3. But then our 4th and 5th grades are at anywhere from 30-38. I am teaching a combo class this year and as of now I have 14 3rd graders and 6 2nds.

22. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Aug 17, 2005

Class Size

I have 16 First Graders as of now... but it can always change before school starts in Sept. ;)

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2005

THIRTY-EIGHT fourth graders in one room?!?!?!?!?!? (gulp) Ummm, are you kidding? :)

24. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

MissKirby,

I too live in a low socioeconomic district. We have had high numbers for the last several years. Most of the students are from migrant families coming here to work in the potato, onion and garlic fields.

I don't know much about where you live, but your district could be getting an influx of students and it may not have to resources to build more classrooms.

When I started, I taught 33 second graders, half of whom spoke little English. I moved to 6th grade and averaged 33 students per class.

This year, I am scheduled to have 22! (I am not holding my breath because school starts right after Labor Day)

25. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

I wish that I was kidding! And so do our Intermediate teachers! I feel really bad for them! They only have room for desks in their classrooms.

26. k_canuck

k_canuck Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

our school (private) caps at '24' - and that's what i've had the last three years - and expect the same this year although I don't know yet - my last school (also private) also capped at '24' although i had 27 the first year and 28 the second. Back in Canada I had 32-35 5/6th graders in my class for 3 years!!! don't miss that at all!!

27. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

I have 18 First Graders. They hired new teachers because they want to keep the numbers around 20 or less.

28. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 20, 2005

I had 23 on my roster for Meet the Teacher night, but 2 didn't show up. We still had to hire a new teacher. We had room for 3 the week before school started & 31 showed up to register 3 days before we started. YIKES!

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 20, 2005

The most we can have in the 4th or 5th grade is 32. Our superintendent made the decision a couple of years ago that 4th would be kept small because of the LEAP test. That gave us 4 4th grade teachers and class sizes that ranged from 15 - 20. It's a very small group of kids this year so we weren't able to keep 4 teacher ( We would have each had 12 or 13) so I was moved into an opening in the 5th grade. So far I have 19 kids, but we are adding more every day. School for the kids starts Wednesday.

30. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

As of right now, I have 19 students on my class list, but I have a feeling that that will change before the first day of school!

31. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 20, 2005

Last year I had 19 3rd graders, this year I have 21. So, it's not too far of a jump.

32. futuremrs_noble

futuremrs_noble Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

I have 19 as of Friday, but come Monday, the first day of school, that will change. The other three classes have 19, 25 (high level) and 15 (inclusion).

33. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 20, 2005

My K class has 16 right now...afternoon is not as desirable for most parents as is the morning schedule. I had three no-shows and one who took advantage of a drop in the morning program and moved into it. This is my first year, and if it doesn't increase, I'll be thrilled, but I imagine I will pick up any new students throughout the year since the two morning classes are at max (20). We started school on Thursday.

34. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 20, 2005

On the first day of school last week, I had 31 on my roster for my middle school class. Only 20 showed up. Now, after a week, I'm holding steady at 24--which is perfect!

35. snoopyfan

snoopyfan New Member

Aug 21, 2005

I have 25 1st graders. I had 17 the first 2 days of school. A teacher quit and they divided her class among the rest of us. The first 2 days were a dream! I'm told they'll cap us at 25. I hope so!

36. Lson

Lson Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

Class sizes

This is my first year at college so I haven't been on prac yet but my daughters are in years two and three. Their class size is 29 and 30. The teachers do a fantastic job and students on the whole flourish. There is a good amount of parent help at these year levels which takes some pressure off (for the most part). The teachers appear to use learning centres quite a bit- I could see with the right activities this style would be very appropriate. :D