Class Scissors

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by intern09, Jul 20, 2009.

1. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I don't have a set of scissors for my students (5th grade) and I am not sure if my school will provide me with the scissors (it is my first year). I emailed my mentor, but have yet to receive a response. If I have to buy them myself what is a good price? I have seen children's size scissors recently at Walmart for about 88 cents.

Does anyone know of a place to get a better price?

Thank you! :)

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

The scisssors may be on the children's school supply list. Check with the office staff to see if they can get a hand on any kind of school supply list for your grade level. Walmart has some really reasonable prices on scissors, especially now with all the sales. Even if you don't buy a whole class set, you may want to at least get enough for a small group, say 5 or 6 pair.

4. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Families receive supply lists with spring report cards. Scissors are listed for all grades. We hope families will provide them for their child/ren. Most do. Have you checked to see if your school gives supply lists out? If they do you may not need to purchase any. I also have extra pairs, about 8, for students who don't bring them or misplace them-borrowing them as needed. I like Fiskars, not concerned about the price, looking for quality. Good luck!

5. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Unfortunately we are not allowed to ask the students to bring any supplies. We are supposed to provide everything. I heard all Utah schools are this way, but my school is in a very low income area. The school will reimburse us though.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Lucky Duck if you get your money back. LOL

Last week Staples had sets of two student scissors for a dollar. If they go on sale again teachers get better limits.

Check out the Back to School Shopping section of this forum to see if other stores have better deals

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

Dollar Tree had student sized Fiskars on sale for $1, but there is a good chance your school or students need to provide them.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 21, 2009

Scissors - ugh. As a parent, I'm tired of buying scissors. Each year, the students need a pair of scissors. Last year, my DD needed 7" scirssors; this year she needs 5". I wish the teachers would get together and decide on the same set of scissors.

At the end of the year, the scissors were not returned. And the teacher is asking for scissors again for this coming year.

Not sure why the teachers do not just KEEP last year's scissors and use for next year OR give the scissors back so DD can use them this year.

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I am also from Utah and I can't give a supply list either! I bought scissors at Walmart, mine were only 74 cents. I also bought some at Staples when they were on sale. Target had 2 packs pretty cheap too!!

10. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I am almost SURE your school will provide scissors OR at least it will be on the students supply lists. I've never heard of having to buy scissors myself for students. I'd wait until you buy anything and find out from your school. I can't imagine that they won't be provided.

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Dollar Tree has them 3 in a pack for a dollar. I just keep them in class in case we use them, but we rarely do.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

We are given so much money per student to spend for supplies. The scissors we get from the district warehouse are terrible. So for the past few years I buy my own and we usually get legislative money to offset the money we spend on our own. I use that money to pay for them.
    As she said earlier, in our state many schools will not let you give parents a supply list.

13. CollegeStudent1

CollegeStudent1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Check for the sales during the next few weeks at Staples, Office Depot, Walmart etc... Esp. the first two stores. Last year Office Depot had Acme® 5" Junior Scissors, Pointed Tip/blunt tip for .50for the two pack. These scissors were 4.49 per pack regular price.When I went there they didn't have any. But to my surprise, Staples had the price match and they had the scissors fully stocked and I bought a whole bag full! Keep your eyes open and check for price match guarantees......