Class Rules- Need input!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by AZMrs.S, Jul 11, 2011.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I am getting ready for my first year and these are the rules I have come up with so far:

1. I will be respectful of my teachers, other students and school property

2. I will follow directions and be an active listener

3. I will be kind, fair and honest with my words and actions

4. I will show effort and finish all work.

5. I will not interfere with my teacher's teaching or with someone else's learning.

.... This is what I have (adapted from my ST) but I am still not loving all of them.... What do you think? What would you change?:help:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 11, 2011

I would take the "I will" off. Instead of "I will be respectful..." I would word it as
    "Be respectful..." and "Follow directions the first time and be an active learner.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

The rules themselves are fine, but I would spend specific time teaching exactly what they mean. Active listening might be a new phrase for a 2nd grader. You might be able to eliminate show effort and finish all work--that just seems like something you would expect and it wouldn't necessarily have to be a rule. I am a fan of the shorter rule list the better. I am moving down to 3rd grade this year, so I will have to be more specific with my rules, but in the past (for 5th grade), I have just used one rule: Make smart choices. We always made a t-chart of smart and non-smart choices at the beginning of the year and left it up for a few weeks, but that one rule covered all my bases.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I have found that it's easiest to stick to a few basic rules and explain expectations for them often! My rules are:
    1. Be Respectful
    2. Follow Directions
    3. Do Your Best

6. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

Thank you for the advice... I just still don't love them. Maybe I need to do a simpler format like Joy suggested... Any more thoughts?

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

I make a banner on Vista Print every year that has my expectations:

Respectful & responsible
    Work hard & Try my best
    Make good choices
    Keep a positive attitude
    Stay on task

All my kids sign it in the 1st week

8. pshields

pshields New Member

Jul 19, 2011

Procedures

I am one of those who does not like rules for the classroom/school. I prefer procedures. Rules are for games and made to be broken. Procedures are for practicing. I have been using WholeBrainTeaching for almost 5 years and love it. Check out there website. They have tons of things for free.

They have 5 procedures.

1. Follow directions quickly
    2. Raise your hand to speak
    3. Raise your hand to get out of your seat.
    4. Make smart choices.
    5. Keep your dear teacher happy.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

While I agree the rules you have chosen are all important ones, they seem to be a bit much for second graders to remember. I used to have more rules, but narrowed mine down to three and made them rhyme so they'd be easy to remember:

Be kind all the time.
    To speak or stand, raise your hand.
    Do not rest til you've done your best.

Of course, these are general so I have to show the students what each one looks like. Being kind encompasses a LOT of stuff, for example! This works to my advantage, however, in the long run, because if a rule doesn't cover a specific behavior I can usually fit it into one of the three...like if a child is too loud during small groups I simply ask, "Are you being kind right now?" and it fits, even though I don't have a rule that says to maintain an inside voice. I can easily get them to see that being loud enough to keep someone else from learning is not a kind act.

I think your rules could be narrowed down to 3:
    I will be kind.
    I will listen and follow directions.
    I will do my best work at all times.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

I use these 3:

1. Be kind
    2. Be respectful
    3. Be safe

Everything pretty much falls under the umbrella of those 3 expectations.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

Our school created "the 4R's" which I use as the rules in my classroom as well and show them what it looks like/sounds like to do each one:

Be ready
    Be responsible
    Be respectful
    Be resourceful

Also, I have them help me come up with their own rules first and then we fit them into the 4R's. They feel like they have more ownership. :)

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

My last rule is Make Mrs_____ happy. It covers everything!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

:D

14. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for the good ideas and feedback. I am cutting mine down :)

15. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

I have used the Whole Brain teaching classroom rules for several years and I must say, it has been very effective. I like the rules because there are hand movements/gestures that go along with each one so they stick much better. I also like how if a rule is broken or forgotten at the beginning of the year, you can just say, "Class, what is "rule number 1"? The students say, "Follow directions quickly!!" And everyone starts to move a little faster. You don't necessarily have to point anyone out. There are only 5 of them and we recite them each morning with the hand gestures and everything. You can look up the hand gestures on their website.

Our classroom rules are:

Rule #1: Follow directions quickly!
    Rule #2: Raise your hands before you speak!
    Rule #3: Raise your hands to leave your seat!
    Rule #4: Make smart choices!
    Rule #5: Respect yourself, respect your classmates & respect your teachers!

I changed the last rule because I think making your dear teacher happy is fine, but can be too abstract. I like to be very direct. Respecting yourself, classmates & teachers is a way to say "make everyone happy". And it goes along with our school pledge.
    We talk about each rule and we practice how not to break the rules and how to make sure we are following the rules. I post them on the wall so I can have kids just refer back to them early in the year if they need to.:)

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

I think one of the most important things you can do with the rules is practice and role model and then do it some more. Also remember that you will want to (need to) revisit the rules after long weekends, vacations, or when things go a little awry in the classroom.

17. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

That's what I was planning on doing... And I started with my original rules because they were what my CT used and I wasn't sure where to start. :) I like the suggestions from here though and am deciding how to simplify them :) It's good to have rules that they can refer to because then when your correcting behavior its nice to ask them to tell you what rule they broke and most of the time they know exactly which one! Haha :) I appreciate all of your feedback!