Class rules HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jaszmyn, Jul 9, 2005.

1. natalie22

natalie22 New Member

Jul 31, 2005

I am a first year kindergarten teacher. Would you recommend me making one for my class? I have seen the pull card in every class for the past 3 years. I need something new for myself.

2. Kathy S

Kathy S Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Natalie,

I don't know what others would say, but I think the card system is too public for 1st graders. By that, I mean, I feel it's is almost a breach of confidentiality regarding the behavior of children who are still learning how to successfully function in school.

However, I actually feel that way, no matter how old the children are. I would not want my behavior posted publicly for anyone to just walk in and view. I think it's disrespectful, and tends to advance the "labeling" of children among the other parents who can see this when they are picking up the children, or drop by for a minute.

Just my opinion though.

Kathy S.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2005

One way to overcome that obstacle is to use a number instead of a name. Each child assigned a number.

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 31, 2005

Instead of looking at the pull a card chart system as a breach in a five year olds cofidentiallity(sp), I see it as a way that students can monitor their own behavior and have something visual to help them monitor their behavior. I like it because the students can earn their way back to green but they still have to endure the consequence of whatever color their on.

Also this system is a great way to be consistent and fair with the rewards and consequences. And yes all students are different and require special circumstance but you students will appreciatte the consistency and the students self control will benifit.

Natalie22,
    I would reccomend this system if you are still thinking of it, becuase you said you have seen it observed three or more times--This means that you have a good idea of what it is about and how it operates. For your first year i would reccommend doing something manageable that you are familiar with. But of course you can always put your own spin on it-If their are some things you don't like.

5. bell2825

bell2825 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Kinderkids,
    I, like the others, am totally interested in your Monster Story. Would I be able to get a copy also. I still have a whole month off so there is no rush for me. We don't start back until Sept 6th but I bet we go later than you do also!! I have seen patterns for monster faces in old Mailbox Magazines. Go Away Big Green Monster has faces you may be able to copy.

6. missmc

missmc Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Kinderkids - I would also LOVE a copy of the Monster story for the first day of school. I'm a new teacher and this idea sounds wonderful! I go back on August 15th and the kids come August 22nd. My email address is *******. I would really really appreciate it! Thanks for the cute idea.

7. natalie22

natalie22 New Member

Aug 1, 2005

I completely understand. What do you think about not having a behavior chart at all? I could just deal with each issue as it comes and teach the students how to change their behavior. If I have to make note of something I can keep it in a folder, but still maintain solid consequences (i.e. 5min recess, note home, talk to principal, etc) Thanks for your interest.

8. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Natalie22,
    I did not have a behaviour chart in my room last year. Things went quite smoothy, however, there was a period just before Christmas where it would have come in handy! I am really hoping someone can answer my questions about the pull card system as I am unfamiliar with it. Perhaps I will use it for 1/2 a year?!
    You can still run a classroom just fine without a behaviour chart. I used verbal warnings (3), so they new what was coming, and the consequence was either time-out or loss of activity time.
    Just to let you know, I had a run-in with a parent a couple of years ago about my behaviour incentive chart. The parent was angry that anyone could walk into my classroom and see who the 'trouble-makers' were because they didn't have as many stickers. Her child, of course, was the student who gave me the most trouble. I did take the chart down afterwards, however, I simply changed the system to give the stickers out to the kids to out on their shirt/hand at the end of the day. This way there was no display in the classroom, but the kids could still earn their stickers!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

My incentive charts are always different and changing for each child, so for a parent to complain about wouldn't make sense in my system, as kids don't get stickers when absent, they do when the right choices are made, some days they don't if they had problems. Usually kids are always in a different place on their incentive charts for a variety of reasons. The most important thing to remember is to be able to explain to parents why you use this system, how it works, and to be able to back up your reasons for using it. I tell the kids that no one is perfect, and they will all experience getting their clip changed sometime in the year.....and usually, thats the case! They couldn't judge behavior by the charts, as that was no indicator. Also, in my experience, the parents already know which kids are "the stinkers" because they hear it from their child. I like this system, and haven't had a complaint about it yet. again, if names are a problem, children can be assigned numbers, and privacy for visitors in the classroom isn't a problem.

10. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

In my school we are required to write our "ground rules" with our students. It's a great way for them to show ownership in the classroom. I also have them brainstorm different disciplinary actions that should be taken when rules are broken. Don't get me wrong, I always know what I want the rules to be, but I help guide them into thinking they came up with them on their own.

11. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Aug 1, 2005

I will be teaching 2nd grade in the fall. What are some other ways you do classroom rules/behavior management? In my school, the kids dont have recess..so what do you suggest I do when they get to a different color? Does anyone use a different plan other than cards?

12. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Hi kinderkids-
    would you by any chance, have those monster patterns available? Or could you possibly direct to where I could find them? I think your monster idea sounds great!!!

[QU

OTE=kinderkids]For rules in my K class I read a story the first day called, "The Monster That Came To School". It is a humorous story the kids can really relate to. I have patterns of different monsters they choose from to cut out, decorate, and color. They are then hung up in the room and displayed all year as a reminder of the monster they DON'T want to be. Also, after reading the story, we come up with our classroom rules together. They know how not to be a monster.......that is how we label our rules list that I post on a visible wall and keep up all year as well. It is called ...."Rules for the monster that came to school." They then have two visual reminders of the rules, one of the monsters they decorated, and the other is the list. They came up with awesome rules........better then I could have alone, and they really take ownership of them! Also, I do something like pull the card, but I use clothespins with the childs name on them. THey all start on green everyday, and if they need a reminder about something, I change their clothesin to the Yellow slot. A second warning puts them on red, which means they will lose five minutes of group time and must go to the table and put their head down. They know thats a biggie because they lose out on doing something fun! It almost never goes past that, because they hate when they can't participate with the rest of us. The next time I change their clip in a day, they go to black (lose five minutes of recess). I've rarely had to use this one! The red one usually gets them everytime. If bad behavior STILL continues, they go to the principal and must talk to him.....also, a note goes home in their folder! I don't think I've had to use that more than once or twice last year. As a reward for staying on green all day, I put a sticker on their incentive chart. Once they fill in a row(five across), they get to pick from my treasure box. They love this. It gives them control over the choices they make. They take more responsibility for their actions. I keep a daily record of the color they are on, and record the daily average of "staying on green" on their quarterly progress report. WHEW! I guess I got long winded, but wanted to give you some details about what has worked for me! Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck. Kindergarten is SOOOOOOO great! :D[/QUOTE]