Class rules HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jaszmyn, Jul 9, 2005.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

I will be teaching for the first time in august (Kindergarten). I have been reading the first days of school and came up with a short list of rules and a sketch of a discipline plan the I think may work in my classroom. I did my studnet teaching in the same county that I will be teaching. It is a urban, low to middle income nieghborhood. My principal said I should have no more than seventeen students and a Para that rotates between the three kindergarten classes. Here are my rules....
    1. Follow all directions given by an adult
    2. Keep hands and feet to yourself
    3. Be kind to others
    4. Always do your best

I kept it simple, but let me know what you think...or if I may have left off anything important. Since I have very little experience I would like to know what you guys think about these rules and the kinders (I did my student teaching in first grade).

I really like the pull a card method of behavior management-- let me know what you think about this or what is better.

Thanks in advance for your valuable input :) :angel:

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 9, 2005

I do use the pull a card method and it works for me. I have even gotten other teachers to try and they also love it! :) Your rules look great. Always keep it simple-one suggestion though (from experience) for rule #2 you might want to state it; Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.
    Good Luck in Kindergarten. I have been in Kinder for 6 years and love it. Will you be teaching in an allday, everyday program or alternate days? Enjoy the rest of your summer, if you can! :)

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

Oh!! I also liked Use your manners as another rule and walking in the hallway and raising your hand before you speak . But I only wnated a fewsometimes you can't decide whats important.

And I don't know how to word the rules when I write them for my studnets as a class on the first day of school. Should they already be displayed or is it okay to narrow down the rules that we want for our class on the first day together as a class. I did not know how well this idea went over for the younger ones. Maybe I am under estimating there ability when entering kindergarten.

As you can see I am a plie of ???? PLEASE HELP

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

It is an all day program. Thank for the suggestion on rule #2. What are your rewards and consequences for your pull a card and how many colors do you use I was thinking 4- Green, yellow, orange then red.

6. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 9, 2005

You can always make up your rules as a class with your kids. I do that and most of them seem to know what are important rules. The kids seem to take more ownership of the classroom that way and sometimes police themselves. I do a VERY guided rule making lesson during the first week of school. They "help" me come up with the rules that we will use. Never underestimate your Kindergartners. You will be amazed every day at their ability level. One hint-be careful when talking to other adults, even with spelling out words. You will always have one smart little cookie in the bunch! :)

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 9, 2005

I use a 4 color system for my cards-green, yellow, red, black; like the colors on a stoplight. When my kids get to black-they know they are in serious trouble-principal's office, another classroom for a time-out (6th grade works wonders! :) ) a phone call home-one that they make.

I also start with a popsicle stick at the beginning of every week! Once they lose their popsicle stick, they lose it for the week. If they have their stick at the end of the week, they might get a surprise-a sticker, verbal praise, candy, etc. I don't do this every week, so it is a surprise. Everyone starts out on green every day, even if they have lost their stick.
    When they pull their stick or green card, it is more like a warning, unless it is a physical act (hitting, kicking, biting, etc.; then automatic timeout) yellow is a time out in the classroom, away from the group(still expected to participate, but not sitting with the group), red another time out or lost recess or both-depends on the "crime", they can also get a note home at this stage. Teacher discretion on red for notes home.
    I keep track in my grade book as to what color each child is on every day. It makes good conversation at conferences, sometimes :)

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2005

For rules in my K class I read a story the first day called, "The Monster That Came To School". It is a humorous story the kids can really relate to. I have patterns of different monsters they choose from to cut out, decorate, and color. They are then hung up in the room and displayed all year as a reminder of the monster they DON'T want to be. Also, after reading the story, we come up with our classroom rules together. They know how not to be a monster.......that is how we label our rules list that I post on a visible wall and keep up all year as well. It is called ...."Rules for the monster that came to school." They then have two visual reminders of the rules, one of the monsters they decorated, and the other is the list. They came up with awesome rules........better then I could have alone, and they really take ownership of them! Also, I do something like pull the card, but I use clothespins with the childs name on them. THey all start on green everyday, and if they need a reminder about something, I change their clothesin to the Yellow slot. A second warning puts them on red, which means they will lose five minutes of group time and must go to the table and put their head down. They know thats a biggie because they lose out on doing something fun! It almost never goes past that, because they hate when they can't participate with the rest of us. The next time I change their clip in a day, they go to black (lose five minutes of recess). I've rarely had to use this one! The red one usually gets them everytime. If bad behavior STILL continues, they go to the principal and must talk to him.....also, a note goes home in their folder! I don't think I've had to use that more than once or twice last year. As a reward for staying on green all day, I put a sticker on their incentive chart. Once they fill in a row(five across), they get to pick from my treasure box. They love this. It gives them control over the choices they make. They take more responsibility for their actions. I keep a daily record of the color they are on, and record the daily average of "staying on green" on their quarterly progress report. WHEW! I guess I got long winded, but wanted to give you some details about what has worked for me! Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck. Kindergarten is SOOOOOOO great! :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 9, 2005

I too use the card pulling system and I love it. The other 2 teachers I worked with started using it with their class. I plan on using it in my new classroom in the fall.
    Once a child gets to red they can lose their recess, playtime, or classroom job. Also I send a note home a Oops note home at the end of the day if the child did not make it back to green. I had a child who hit a lot and was very bossy at recess. She had this problem when I wasnt around so I had her on her own behavior chart. If everything at recess went okay she recieved a sticker. After she earned one sticker she recieved something special. Then she had to earn 2 stickers, then 3, then 4 then 5 etc.. This helped ween (sp?) her off the behavior chart. It worked well with her.

I also write the rules with my class. Like another person said it helps the kids take ownership of their rules.

10. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

There have already been some great suggestions so I won't go into full detail about what I do, only to add to some things.

Don't be afraid to roll-play with your kids about how to handle situations with words. I make a big deal about this at the beginning of the year. A lot of kids have to be taught how to say what they feel- instead of going with the quick and "easy" route of hitting, name-calling, pushing, etc. Some children who exhibit a lot of this physical communication have not yet learned how to voice what they want. We work on using the old "I" statements. "I don't like it when say that/do that, I want you to stop bothering me, My feelings are hurt when you say that."

I also do a lot of talking about how they feel. How they feel when they make a "green choice" and how they feel when they make a "yellow or red choice." Kids that start out making a lot of those yellow and red choices really need to know what a green choice feels like and that what they feel is pride, pride in themselves.

That's how you begin to move the kids from external motivators to internal motivation. Obviously we all use external motivators, but ideally you want them behaving because it's the right thing to do and they can be proud when they make good choices.

Remember that kids learn what they live and many aren't taught these things at home. Their parents may tell them to behave but never teach and show them what that means. (You've seen Nanny 911 and Super Nanny right? ;) )

11. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

(I have to add more..)

I also do the color-card and pull yellow and red. (I describe it like a stop light- green means go- keep doing what you're doing, yellow- slow down and think about your choices. Consequences for yellow might be removal from the group, 5 min. of missed recess or free-choice time, 5 min. in another classroom. Red- stop, you cannot be with the class until a parent is called or until you are back under control. Red is more for physical infractions- we have a "Hands Off" policy at our school and the kids learn quickly that they do not want to be on red.

Kids that are on yellow can earn their way back to green in my room- they need to learn self-control and if they can get their talking, following directions, listening, etc. back in control, they can go back to green. If they are on red- very rarely can they go back to yellow- definitely not back to green- but they have to show real remorse and significant improvement.

I also do a "Shining Star" award. You know those kids that are great everyday? I always feel like they get the short end of the stick when it comes to behavior, or for that kid that is really trying to do his/her best, so once in a while I'll put a Shining Star in a few kid's behavior pockets and they get a special sticker, candy, etc. It makes for a nice suprise reward.

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 10, 2005

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. I feel like I am on the right track. I will check out the "Monster comes to school book". Can you remember the author maybe I can find it on amazon. The monster cut outs- are they ike die cuts or a drawing. That a GREAT way to introduce the pull a card system. Any other great books for behavior management?

13. marselyn

marselyn New Member

Jul 10, 2005

Hi Jaszmyn,

I have taught second grade for five years and finally have created a behavior stragegy that I absolutely love. It's called the Terrific Tiger Behavior Plan (our school mascot is a tiger). First I created a bulletin board with a tiger background, the goal is for the students to stay a terrific tiger (therefore leaving their tiger on the tiger part of the bulletin board). Then I created a color wheel: green means a warning, yellow means 10 min off of recess, purple means a loss of recess, blue means a loss of recess and sitting by themselves at lunch, red means all of the above and a call home. When students are spoken to, they are instructed to move their tiger around the color wheel.

The first day of school, students color in a key that explains each color. We also list rules and, honestly, it all boils down to one rule: Be respectful of yourself and others. But the 5 I cover are: follow directions, body to yourself, try your best, raise your hand, be appropriate (I summarized here). I send home a letter that explains the classroom policy and lists rewards given as well. I sign this letter, as well as the child and parents.A calendar is also given to the students. At the end of every day the students have to color on their calendar, what color they earned that day. Parents are asked in the letter to check the calendar and talk with them about any concerns. There is also a space for comments to write to me. Rewards: Every Friday, students receive 15 minutes of extra recess at the end of the day if they have not received a red, purple, or blue all week. At the end of every nine weeks, students who remained on orange (tiger background), green, yellow, receive a movie and popcorn party. I am constantly giving praise. They respond so well to that. When I catch them being a "Terrific Tiger", I say so in front of the class, and explain why what they did was so great.

Even though this plan is great on its own, consistency is the most important. If you tell the child one more time and you will move your tiger, then the next time, they need to move their tiger. The other students notice everything so if you are not consistent students thing "Well, if I got away with it that time, I might get away with it next time. Soon, things are out of control. One more thing- model, model, model. Don't just tell your pumpkins not to do something- model what they could do instead. Say to a child: "Instead of saying "Get out of my face." instruct the students to say " Please give me some space." . . .

Best wishes
    TEACHING ROCKS!
    marselyn

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2005
  14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

I have that story at school.......it is a photocopied story, and I can't recall the authors name at this time . When I go to school, I will check for you. The monsters are adorable blackline masters. Several different styles for the kids to choose. Perhaps you can find some patterns in a coloring book (monsters inc.? or some such thing) or maybe you or an artsy (sp?) friend or art teacher could draw some. I'm sorry I am not more help at this time.....I've had the story and patterns for quite a few years and just can't recall where I got them... :sorry:

15. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 10, 2005

The PreK, K, and 1st grade teachers use a behavior bear rainbow chart. They have five to six colors on the rainbow. The first color is best blue. The second color is good green (warning). The third color is ok orange (5 min off recess). The fourth color is yucky yellow (10 min off recess). The fifth color is pitiful purple (note or phone call home/ 15 min off recess). The sixth color is rowdy red (no recess/ office visit/ phone call and note home). I have seen some teachers use a pocket chart and have the kids move a clothespin down the rainbow. This past year an artsy teacher drew bear faces and used scrapbook paper as a background and made the rainbow. The teachers bought little bears and put magnets on the back. The students moved their bears across the rainbow.
    One of the teachers photocopied bears and had the students color the bears to match their rainbow. The teachers used colored dots to mark the child's behavior in their folder each night.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

17. Lisa H.

Lisa H. Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

I teach pre-k and have 3-5 yr olds. I love this idea of clothespin or cards, it can be modified a little, but I think would really work. I have some very aggressive children and there is to much hands on, hitting, pushing etc. I can't wait to give this a try. Thank you all for the ideas!

18. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for all the great ideas...You guys have sparked some creativity inside of me and maybe I will try something with the pull a card method with a creative spin!!

19. Mrs. L

Mrs. L Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

I would add "get permisson before leaving the room" , add objects to hands and feet too. Raise hand before speaking, Mrs. L

20. MNgirl

MNgirl Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I am also teaching K for the first time, starting in Aug. One of the teachers I used to work with told me that when her child was in K the teacher used Bee cards, their were three cards and each card was worth ten minutes of free time at the end of the day. Every student recieved three cards to start the day and if they missed behaved or didn't follow directions they lost a card. At the end of the day if they didn't have cards they had to sit at their desks.

21. Mrs. L

Mrs. L Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

One thing not good about the Bee cards is if the child is naughty right from the start. There is no incentive if he loses all cards before snack, to behave for the rest of the day. I use time outs when needed. I have taken free time away also, the play time at the end of the day - but the little ones need automatic consequences. Once a time out is done - its done. usually they shape up afterwards. If not, them taking away a few minutes of recess, or play time is useful.

22. Kathy S

Kathy S Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Jaszmyn,

Things like "Use your manners as another rule and walking in the hallway and raising your hand before you speak" fit in with your "be kind" rule. We just remind them that the other classes are working so we want to be kind and not interrupt. Same thing for raising hands. Rudeness is never kind.

Kathy S.

23. bbates

bbates Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

This is also my first year in Kndergarten and i would love to use your monster story also. If you locate it, can you email the story? :)

24. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

Thanks alot of my rules can be combined and thats great becuase I difinatley(SP) don't want to many. Thanks for all your suggestions, but one more question?---Should I have a theme around my behaviour management--I was going to use the same pockets for class jobs as well-- like stick craft sicks in thier pockets with their cards or do you guys think this is to much on one board. I am really limited on board space so I wanted all of my classroom management to be on one board (behavuor cards, jobs, and class rules display). Do you guys think this is to much and whats a good theme for this type of display. What have you used in the past. I am leaning towards a train theme ---but I am not finding many decoratives. rogs and leapin are popular.

Thanks in advance for your T-reffic feedback

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

I'd be happy to send it to you. In fact someone else asked me for it too. I may not get it for a week or so, when do you start? I will send it off to you asap. :) I will send you an email through atozteacher stuff.

26. bbates

bbates Rookie

Jul 22, 2005

Our students dont return until Aug. 15th, but I am going to go to the building beginning next week. Thanks.

27. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 22, 2005

Kinderkids,

I would like this story too-PLEASE!!! I also start Aug. 15, and pre planning on Aug. 8. I searched the internet and put in the title and still could not find it! I think that it a wonderful idea. Maybe you could post it as a topic under the forum--thanks

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2005

Jaszmyn,
    I'd be happy to share! As I said in my other post, I can't get to it until later next week........floors being waxed and can't get to my things. But when I do, I will be sure to get it out to you. I hope you get is much use out of it as I have these many years! Do you have some monster patterns? I am not sure how I could get those to you unless I had a snail mail address. If you want them, pm me with that address and I could send you the monster patterns as well throug the snail mail. :)

29. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2005

I'd also like a copy of the monster story...here's my email (kimrandy1@yahoo.com). Thanks so much!!
    Kim

30. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

Our rules

I like to start with 3 very simple rules:

Respect the environment
    Respect others in the environment
    Respect yourself

Then I like to have the children come up with a few. In the beginning I get a lot of "Don't do this, Don't do that" but I try to guide them to turn it around so it is more positive. Instead of "don't run" we might say "Use walking feet" or "always walk".

I give lots of lessons about how to show respect and what respect means and we do a lot of role playing for the other rules so the kids can see what good behavior looks like.

31. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 23, 2005

jkkroll,

Respct and using manners is very important to me in my classroom. Are there and picture books that emphasize respect or manners that you have found useful and successful with the kiddos. Respect can be very complicated at this age. I once had a student tell me that their parents said to respect adults, so he took this to believe ONLY adults. I often find myself just telling students to be nice, but they really can't distinguish just being friendly with repect.

Any great book titles out there anyone for manners and respect. I would greatly appreciate it. I teach in a urban area and the manners thing is way out of hand! Any ideas for character education as well.

In exactly what ways do you illustrate respect and manners in the classroom for the first few weeks? (role playing, books etc.. )

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  32. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 23, 2005

Oh Kinderkids,

I do have a diecut pattern of a monter--I found it at a resource center.
    Thanks soooo much! No hurry on the story just get it to me when you can.

33. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

Jaszmyn,

I have used the "Little Miss" and "Little Mr." books to jump start discussions about behavior. Mostly, we do a lot of role playing with puppets and each other. Practicing the behavior in a quiet safe setting before any problems arise can be very helpful and empowering. Then when issues do arise you can give a gentle reminder of what they have already practiced.

I work in a Montessori Classroom and grace and courtesy lessons are the first lessons that we give every year. Sometimes something as simple as knowing how to apologise for accidentally hurting someone or how to blow your nose properly can be a very important lesson for someone who has never had exposure to the proper way.

34. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 24, 2005

I checked out the little miss and Little mr. books they are funny and cheap maybe I wil pick up a couple, any follow up activities.

35. mrsg

mrsg New Member

Jul 24, 2005

I also agree that your rules should be simple and few but as a first year teacher remember the difference in rules and procedures. You will need to teach them all the procedures that you would like used in your classroom. (This will take a little while to introduce and will need to be practiced and reinforced.) I learned this the hard way!!! Before you start school know how you want the procedures carried out. (Examples: procedure for going to restroom, sharpening pencils, going from chairs to rug, entering and leaving room) Without good procedures you will have a very exhausting year. Good luck and have a great year!

36. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

Do you know any creative ways to teach procedures besides role playing and drawing pictures.

37. natalie22

natalie22 New Member

Jul 30, 2005

Awesome

That is awesome. I am making one!!!

38. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

Procedures

For all first year teachers (and beyond & teachers new to Kdg):

1- Decide on what routines you want the children to follow.
    2- Plan the steps to accomplish each routine.
    3- Do NOT ASSUME they know how to do the routine.
    4- TEACH the steps to the children - step by step.
    5. PRACTICE it WITH them: 4X the first day; 2X each day after that for a week.

Other important procedure to remember are:
    *hand washing
    *(If you don't, they will STUFF everything into it. Show them how to take alllll their papers at once and put them in. Or..how to slide binders in first and them papers or art projects down next to them, etc.)
    *sitting for group time
    *clean up your work
    *storing supplies
    *How to HANG UP YOUR JACKET. (They do NOT know this!! You'll be amazed at how many jackets get hung up by the cuff, draped over a hook, stuffed into the hook area, hung on a button hole, etc. You have to TEACH this step-by-step using 2-3 kids at a time.) And if you don't do it on the FIRST cool day, you'll suffer a mess the rest of the year.
    *standing in line
    * And by the way, have a regular procedure for deciding WHO is the Line Leader each day. Pulling a stick out of a can isn't as good as having a regular Line Leader List on the wall and going down that list one name after another. Why? Because 5's always think they haven't had their turn in a million years!! They like to KNOW when it will be; they like to PREDICT; they like to look at that list and figure WHEN it will be. But, be fair - if someone is absent, give them their missed turn upon their return. We put a dot of blue sticky tack next to their name to remind ALL of us of the person we missed. Doing so, helps lessen anxiety for the rest of them for when they're absent in the future - John knows that he's supposed to be Line Leader tomorrow but he's
    sick tonight - and he's confident his turn will be saved for him!
    * How to line up and WHERE to line up when the Recess Whistle blows. (Go outside and practice this one when no other classes are outside. Have them walk/run away from you until you blow the whistle at which point they have to stop/turn/run back to you. Do this several times. Make sure they know exactly where your class should line up.)
    *Go out the first day and explain Playground Safety Rules for TWO-THREE pieces of equipment - no more. That's all they can remember. Let them explore those items watching to see if they're remembering the "rules". Then go one to 2 more items.

If you introduce a Center/media without explaining the PROCEDURES for
    either its use or cleanup - you're asking for trouble!

This list was created by ArdisK at the kinderkorner listserve. Which is a wonderful resource!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KinderKorner/ Here is the website if you want to join

39. Kathy S

Kathy S Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

natalie22,

I'm not sure how old your children are, but the conduct chart, though appropriate for elementary, is not really appropriate for preschool and preK. Also, the times listed for sitting out would better fit elementary children. For little ones, the rule of thumb is one minute for each year of age.

Kathy S.

40. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I too would absolutely love the monster story!
    Thanks for the great tip!!

iluvkindy

41. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Pull Card System Questions

I have been reading about this 'pull card' system so many of you use for classroom behaviour management. I've never heard of it. Can someone please explain to me how it works. Does everyone get 3-4 coloured cards? Where do you put these cards? What do you do when someone moves from the green card? Where do you put that green card? Do they hold it? Does it go to the back of the pack? Please let me know because it sounds like a great system that I would like to use this year. :angel:
    Thanks,
    iliuvkindy