class projects

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by english9teach, Nov 16, 2006.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

I'm having a time out of my freshmen English students. I gave them a class project that was to be one mostly out of class. I didn't think too much of it because I had done this project with a freshman class last year (at another school) and everything went well.

The kids will not do the work outside of class and when I give them work time during class, they waste time. I'm afraid the majority of my students will fail! What can I do? Is it my job to do anything?

3. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Nov 16, 2006

Some kids won't work, period. I've had the most success with breaking the assignment up into little parts, and grading each part. Each part should be something that can be accomplished in one day.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 17, 2006

I think the previous posters idea is a good one. However, your other option is to scrap the project and teach the concept with books and worksheets. Boring! And hopefully the students will find it is, too. The concepts need to be taught somehow and they are obviously choosing this method over the other.