Class pets?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2008

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on class pets. My class has been begging me to get one. I am really not to hip on the idea because a) they take a lot to take care of, b) they need someone to take care of them when we're on vacation, and c) they die. But I really do have a good group, and they are very willing to work hard for it, and I'm really not a big meanie, more like a softie!

So what are some recommendations? One of my friends suggested parakeets. Any ideas? Especially what NOT to get!

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

Parakeets are ok, but they can be really noisy. A turtle maybe? One of the sixth grade teachers here has a turtle, all the kids like and and take turns taking care of it. Doesn't have a smell that I am aware of either. :)

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

My kids love my frogs (African Clawed). Kids love snakes and lizards. Another option for vacation is to let a kid take the pet home or give the pet away at the end of the year. I've toyed with the idea of raising frogs and letting students take frogs home with parent permission.

5. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

I like having aquariums in my classroom.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 19, 2008

I've had gerbils, rabbit, guinea pig, & toads. The furry ones would go home with students over the weekend & breaks. The rabbit was the best b-c the kids could interact with it. They would make a circle & it would hop around.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

I love, love, love my bunny. He eats any paper or book or cord on the floor, though. The kids are really good about watching him when he's out and hopping around (he gets run of the room when he comes in). I found frogs super difficult to clean up after (their aquarium was full of pebbles) and the crickets STINK. All my hamsters got out, although I always found them right away. But they do escape, no matter what you do.

Any pet you get, make sure you get as a baby. That bonding is so important, and then they know from the get-go that they are going to be around kids. Our first rabbit was donated by a student who did 4-h, and it was booooooring. It just sat there and poo'd. He must have been 3 or 4 at the time. I sent it back home with her at the end of the year. Our current bunny is a dream, and it's because I got him when he was as big as my hand, and he has grown up around the kids. He loves to play, and he has a huge personality. He is also trained really well for the classroom.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

I am very against class pets in the general sense - there have been a few debates on them try and do a search. If they are YOUR pet and they just happen to live in the room during the year then it might be manageable, IF it connects to your curriculum. If they just want to have a pet to have a pet... then... no.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

geckos are pretty mellow to take care of.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2008

I'm curious as to why you say no? I'm leaning that way too, but I need ammunition...

11. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 21, 2008

I have three class pets - Webkinz. The students are able to take them home each weekend (I rotate), and it is easy for me!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 22, 2008

The class pets are always my pets. I take care of them when the kids aren't there (unless I am leaving town, when I have a friend or a student watch them.) BUT I think having a pet in the classroom is great. A lot of kids don't have pets at home, so they have the experience of having one. Also, my students always have the responsibility of taking caring of the pet. They feed it and help me clean the cages/tanks. Plus they are just fun. I do connect it to the curriculum, a bit. It's never the central aspect of our curriculum, but I do incorporate it a bit. I also keep magnifying glasses next to the aquarium and tank. When kids are done with their work sometimes they go over and look at the frogs or fish. I used to have gerbils but they were sort of a problem.

13. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

I teach preschool and each year at least one child has allergies to fur (dog and cat). Is the fur of rabbits, hamsters and other small animals different?

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2008

We can't have class pets, so my class "adopted" three sweet potatoes -- Fat Albert, Skinny Joe and Mr. Potato Head.

We set them up to sprout and the kids talk to their "pets" every day.

All three have started sprouting and the kids love it!

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 22, 2008

A stuffed animal classroom mascot is the best. You don't have to clean up after it. You don't have to buy food. You put it on the shelf during vacation. It doesn't make any noise.

We also grow sweet potatoes. I never thought about calling them classroom pets. Great idea.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Nov 23, 2008

I also have a webkinz class pet, and the kids get to go and use the computer and everything, it is a GREAT pet, it never poops, bites, gets sick, or dies!

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2008

Heh heh -- sometimes I feel bad chuckling at the kids who believe anything :)

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2008

We have an anole lizard. He is very easy to take care of.

19. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 24, 2008

About the allergies...
    I found the hard way I was allergic to bunnies and rabbits. Got hives on my face where the fur touched me. So yes it is possible to be allergic to rabbits.

Gerbils or hamsters on the other hand; I grew up with them in my home when I was younger because my mother had a severe fur allergy. They didn't bother her and she didn't bother to touch them :lol: (something about not liking rodents I guess.) So those worked out well and they had some personality.

20. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 24, 2008

I would suggest a stuffed animal or a plant. The teacher should be the primary caretaker of any animal in the classroom. If this is not something you like, a stuffed animal would be better. You can always order ladybugs and butterflies through Insect Lore to have "a pet" for a few weeks.

21. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 24, 2008

I just remembered I used to have those little animals that grew 300 times it's size in water. The kiddos loved watching it grow and shrink... they ranged from dinosaurs to cats. I got them from a dollar store and they aren't alive, the best kinds of pets :)