Class Pets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iteachbx, Aug 22, 2011.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2011

I'm sure this has probably been discussed, but I'm fairly new here and I was wondering if anyone had any class pets?

I recently got 2 African dwarf frogs for my classroom. But they are like having fish, they never come out of their small habitat and they only need to be fed twice a week, the habitat is cleaned once every 3 months. I'd like to possibly get something else.

If so, what grade do you teach? What kind of pet is it? What type of permission did you have to get before bringing it into the classroom? Who takes care of it daily? Who takes care of it on weekends/breaks/summer vacation?

If not, why do you not have one? Is it because you have no interest, or its too much work, or your not allowed?

Thanks for the input.

3. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I currently have a hamster and I had a beta fish (RIP Michael Jackson...yes the kids named him that). The fish was cool because the kids could see him all the time and it was very tranquil but...its a fish. It just stays in its bowl and also, I always took him home for long breaks (he was fine in school over the weekend). Just imagine how miserable it was to manage a fish bowl in my car sloshing around while I drove to and from school.

I actually think the hamster is easier (but he's nocturnal). Its easier for the kids to help me clean his cage because I can safely put him in his little travel box or ball and the students can take everything to the bathroom and scrub it out. With the fish, the bowl was glass and the rocks were glass and it just wouldnt have been pretty.

Plus if the class is being good and we get all of our work finished, I put the hamster in his ball and we watch him run around on our rug.

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Just be sure you know in advance, if you get a needier pet, how it will be taken care of on weekends, school breaks, and snow days.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 23, 2011

I used to have a fish tank with one beta fish in there. The brightside is that the fish was VERY easy to take care of, pretty, the kids liked him and that was a coveted class job -- being fish feeder.

THe bad news was that the kids were always saying our pet was lonely and begging me to get another fish. I tried to explain to them that our fish can't have a friend because they would fight.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 23, 2011

I have always had a classroom pet! I currently have fire belly toads & a beta fish. The toads are very active & the kids love them. They sometimes suction up the side of the tank which can be distracting if the kids see them.(But it is very neat). They also sometimes make a soft barking sound (which I love). I've had toads in 4th-7th grade classrooms. I don't use a permission slip for them b-c the students don't touch them.

When I taught 7th grade I had gerbils (that liked to reproduce). :D I had a permission slip & students took them home on the weekends & breaks. I had 1 girl who came back with gerbil babies twice.

I had a guinea pig & rabbit when I taught 4th grade. I had a permission slip. Students did not take them home. We had fun though making a circle and letting the critter run around. Students were in charge of feeding & cleaning the cage.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

I very recently got a leapard gecko. He's adorable. He is nocturnal and we aren't seeing him much or interacting with him much (but the poor thing doesn't get to sleep much, they are always at the tank staring in at him! lol My co-teacher got a pacman frog. He hides in his moss all day. :lol: She's waiting for him to grow! :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2011

I've had an African clawfrog for 18 years and he is always out swimming around.I feed him a worm every single day. What kind of set up do you have for your frog? Mine has a plant and a rock for hiding, but he is always out and about.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

I am hoping to get some Dart Frogs in my classroom soon :) Thanks to DH (who is a total frogger :)

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I teach 7th grade math and I have a bunny (a very big bunny - it's his breed) My P has a farm and is very into animals so she totally supports it. This year is her last year and she retires. I worry the new P will put an end to it :(

But for now he is with us and the kids LOVE him. Face it a bunny is unique and not a usual classroom pet.

He is actually my bunny so he comes home with me every night, back to school with e in the mornings, and home with me for holidays, summers, and weekends. He has a home at my home and in the classroom.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

The habitat came already all set up. It's a small clear plastic box with a top filled with water on the bottom there is gravel, two rocks and a little piece of bamboo. It was all only $25.

12. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I have a large tank for the many fish. It is similar to one you might see at a doctor's office. (I cant for the life of me remember the size in terms of gallons of the tank.) I personally paid for the set-up (several hundred dollars), but I have not regretted the investment one bit. The kids absolutely love looking at the fish. We also get new fish every year and the kids get to choose from several species and name them.
    As I said, it was expensive at first, but I was able to work with a local pet store and I received a great deal. I had to save up to purchase everything. If something happened, I would definitely do it all over again. The large size of the tank and amount of fish ensure the kids are engaged. Good luck finding a pet that fits you and your classroom!

13. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Sep 1, 2011

I have two guinea pigs named Bacon and Bert. Bert is the black one, Bacon is brown, white, and orange.
    [​IMG]
    The kids will help with feeding them as the year goes on, but currently I feed them daily. I change their bedding once a week. On weekends they are given an extra large food bowl and extra hay and they do fine. On breaks they come home with me. They're my buddies and I don't send them home with students because I remember how kids treat pets from my own days of being a kid.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2011

I love those names!

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2011

I use a 10 gallon glass aquarium. It's got a big white rock that he can hide under and two plants that he often smashes himself under between the rock and a plant. Most of the time he is swimming around. Yesterday the kids sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to him. They just love him!

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 1, 2011

I don't see the point of having a classroom pet unless you plan on incorporating it into the learning. I think class pets have a lot of potential, and should be utilized.

17. RVpets

RVpets New Member

Sep 13, 2011

You guys should check out the Pets in the Classroom grant program. It provides up to $150 to pre-K-6th grade teachers for the purpose of purchasing a classroom pet and/or pet supplies. It's really easy to apply for and you hear back within a week as to if you will receive it. Google "pets in the classroom" and I'm sure you will find the website-)