class pets for COLD classroom?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by shaggymo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. shaggymo

shaggymo Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Any ideas for a low-maintenance pet that can withstand chilly evenings (our heat is turned off at night and weekends)? I'm thinking of possibly a betta fish or a toad, but not sure how the cold weather would affect them. Thanks in advance.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2008

Ant farm!

They have these neat farms packed with gel instead of dirt. They are transparent, and you can fit them with a colored LED light (red, blue, green)... they look super neat!

I'm actually planning to get one in my classroom, but I have to find a way to justify it to administration. (I teach Latin.)

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 5, 2008

I think the ant colony could be a microcosm example of the Roman empire. You could give all the ants caesar (sp) names! That would be very funny.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

Betas like it warm. What about a rabbit?

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 5, 2008

Class morale and participation? I'm assuming you are paying.

I've looked at those and I have these nightmares about them breaking. I have young kids.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2008

We have very cold classrooms in my building and teachers have everything from Beta fish to toads to Iguannas to hamsters. There are heat lamps over everyoone who cannot stand the cold nights and weekends.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

Box turtles are a very easy classroom pet and you can let them run around and visit. If you don't give them heat during the winter they go through a natural semi-hibernation state, or you can give them a heat lamp or heated basking rock. Just know if you get a box turtle (or two) they are LONG-TERM pets. They can live 20 or 30 years. My female is pretty old (her bottom shell is smooth - no age rings), but my male is probably about 7 or 8 years old. My kids absolutely love them.

9. Yen

Yen Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Goldfish are super easy to take care of, and they can withstand temperatures until almost freezing! :eek:
    My husband and I did a lot of reading about our little goldfish when we brought him home. :D

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2008

Cassie that sounds like a cool ant farm! We studied an ant farm last year in 2nd grade during our animal unit. This would have been awesome to have!

11. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Feb 5, 2008

I second the vote for goldfish! They are hardy enough to live outdoors in winter in many areas.
    The gel ant colonies are super cool, but I recently visited numerous classrooms that had them. All of them reported that their ants had died within the first week. They had all ordered the ant colonies from the same place, so it is possible that it was a "knock-off" product and something was wrong with the nutrient gel. Can anyone give advice on a brand of gel ant colony that has been successful?

12. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

I would not suggest you to get a betta fish since they favour warmth and that's what they are used to, the tank also has to be cleaned once a week. A toad on the other hand doesn't have such a long life span and is very particular of the habitat in which they live. A few years ago, I purchased a small fish tank and got students to bring in their own bugs that they find outdoors, some of which included beetles, ants and spiders, this was a fun experience.

13. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

Rabbits should not be left in a room with no heat... well... at least in the midwest. I didn't look to see where the original poster is from.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

Christy, do you let the kids handle the box turtle?

15. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

Chinchillas like the cold. We actually had one at our school and it died because the air was turned off one weekend. They are so soft and pretty active.