Class Pet?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Annie227, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

For those of you that have class pets - any suggestions? I have a hedgehog that I would like to take to my 3rd grade class (he'll commute home with me each night & on weekends). I was thinking about not bringing him in until the 2nd week of school and spending time during the first week talking about respecting animals & proper care. If we get time in the computer lab during that week I'd like to have them do a little online research about hedgehogs. I think he'll be a great learning tool when we go over animal adaptations and would like to weigh him regularly while he's still growing & use that data to make charts. I have a small class (14.... SO much smaller than the 33 I had in CA) and think it would be a great experience for me & the kids. Looking for pros & cons from ones who have tried this before. Thanks!

3. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I had a Grow a Frog last year. It started out as a tadpole is now a fat frog. The kids loved him, but I am keeping him home this year just because of space in my classroom. It is much easier to keep the tank clean at home than at school. I also don't worry about him over Christmas Break!!

Pets are great, but I found out even a 'little' frog is a lot of work when you have a lot going on in the classroom. With 14 kids, it would probably be a LOT easier!!

4. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

A teacher at one of the schools I was at had a hedgehog and it slept all day long and was awake at night..so I would say no hedge hog. The Guiney pigs are cute (kinda) and playful but they squeak a lot so i guess it depends on if yours was 'vocal' or not.

Something I thought I might do if I decide to get a classroom pet would be to have them earn the pet first. Sort of like how people give the class a letter when they get a compliment and when the spell it out they get a party but instead when they get a compliment or they all do something really great they will get a letter and it will spell out CLASS PET. That way they feel like they have earned it (even though I wanted one anyway)

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

Before bringing the pet into your room be sure no one has allergies. A few years ago I wanted to get a class pet only to find out one child had severe allergies and I couldn't get one. If there are no allergies then go for it, class pets are so much fun. One year I had hamsters and when the kids worked they would roll around on the floor in one of those balls. It was so much fun!

6. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Hedgehogs are great, because they are usually less allergenic. Also, since they sleep all day they won't disrupt class. Mine was really easy to wake up and enjoyed being held, and then was happy to go back to sleep. I would say that if your principal says it's ok, go for it! I like the idea of bringing it in the 2nd week. However I think it might be a lot of work to transport daily, and stressful on the little guy. My aunt leaves hers at work except on breaks.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

I had gerbils and they were a lot of fun. For the first couple of weeks of school, only one person a day got to play with them and feed them. Once everyone had a chance, then two kids a day got to play with them. This gave the gerbils a chance to warm up to the kids. Have fun with the hedgehog... is there a reason he can't stay at school? I think I would get tired of bringing a pet back and forth. What if you have errands after work, or something? You couldn't leave him in the car. As long as your classroom is safe, keep him there.

I always left the gerbils at school over the weekends also. I just fed them extra (they hoard food anyway) and it was never a problem. Families would take them home for the breaks.

I had to get rid of them, because they were both males and began to fight... otherwise I would still have them. They went to two families at the school, so hopefully we will still see them!

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I have goldfish in a 55 gallon aquarium in our library. The kids are so fascinated by them, even the big 8th graders who are usually too cool for everything love them! We had a time where students could give suggestions for names, but they had to be library related in some way. We ended up with things like Rascal, Amelia Bedelia, Dewey Decimal, etc... Fish can be fun and if you have a filter you don't have to clean the tank too much.

9. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

i have a betta fish...he is easy adn requires little maintaince!!!

10. ShellBeWoo1970

ShellBeWoo1970 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I will be getting a hermit crab! YES, I have a JOB!! :) I will be teaching 4/5 year olds, Pre-K, at my alma mater's new Child Development Center. :))

11. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I think you have a great plan, Annie. I think the size of your class will help and I love that you will have them do research about hedgehogs. We had a beta fish this past year and it was a great experience. Pending no allergies this year, we are going to introduce a bird into our classroom.

Good luck!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2007

Congrats on the job!

As far as the 2nd week thing goes, I would also wait a little longer. Not only is the earning their or at least writing a persuasive letter a good idea, but also you can let it be your 'hook' when the newness of school wears off.