Class Pet?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by alielizadubois, Feb 3, 2007.

1. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Feb 3, 2007

I am interested in getting a pet for my classroom (though sometime in the future as I currently share a *very small* classroom with two other teachers, but there is talk of giving us a new classroom...)

I welcome any stories, expereinces, recommendations, etc.

I am not as interested in a mammal, as I do not want something that produces an odor, such as hamsters...

More so I am leaning towards fish/reptiles (I have experience keeping reptiles, so I know that they are a lot to keep up with, which is why they are not a likely option... though I have a plethora at my house, and could stand to see one stay at school... but not on breaks, of course...)

Anyway,
    let me know what info you have to share!
    Thanks!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

Get a hermit crab or two. They are small, clean, don't smell, and are easily cared for. I have three and I love them. I only have to clean the bedding once every few months or so. I keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium. The startup can seem pricey, but it's a lot cheaper than a hamster or guinea pig in the long run.

4. jefe025

jefe025 New Member

Feb 7, 2007

I've had a few reptiles in my room and they are pretty easy. I have a bearded dragon that has been in my class for 8 years. He is pretty easy to take care of and the kids love him. I also have corn snake, it's an albino so it's bright red and orange. They are very mellow snakes that have a great reputation. They don't grow to be huge and only eat between two and four times a month. Cleaning is pretty easy too. The kids really enjoy the snake and it has helped some of them to break prejudices they have had toward snakes.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2007

I've had hermit crabs before when I taught preschool. They were cute, but my younger kids got bored with them because they would never come out of their shell. I think they would come out at night when we weren't there and sleep during the day. I don't know, but I would love to buy a class pet for my kids that isn't too much work to take care of. Fish are out of the question for me due to the past experiences I've had. Every fish my class had died, and smelled. (Not to mention, I have a fear of fish, so I would avoid cleaning the tank regularly). But I would love suggestions as well.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2007

turtles?

7. Youngteacher226

Feb 7, 2007

Miss Frizzle, are turtles easy to care for. What all do you have to do to keep them healthy in a classroom? I'm sorry I sound stupid but I don't think I've ever even seen a live turtle in person. Just on t.v. (Can you tell that I am not a nature type of person?) And I am a pisices and I'm scared of fish.:eek:

8. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 7, 2007

I don't know if I'm spelling this right. Axolotl, axilotl? My daughter's class has one and all the kids are amazed by it...because it's unique and looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. I'm thinking of getting one for the class I'm in, if the teacher will let me.

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 8, 2007

We have had hermit crabs, fish and, when I was feeling particularly apathetic (and sick of dead fish), pet rocks, which are the ultimate for those looking for the don't smell/don't die type pets.

The rocks were actually the kids' favorites - we decorated and named them, made up bios and every so often I would move a few around and the kids would have to find the "escapees".

10. Youngteacher226

Feb 8, 2007

Is this a kind of turtle?

11. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 8, 2007

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

Box turtles are really easy to care for. I have two, Sheila and Chance, and they are actually in one of the low, long plastic totes. (18 X 36 or so). I've had them for about 7 years now (they are LONG-TERM pets, so be prepared). Their bedding is inexpensive. I have a half log (from PetSmart) that they like to hide under, a fairly deep water bowl (they like to get wet) and their food bowl (lettuce, fruits, veggies, flowers, etc). Sheila is much less shy and actually enjoys walking around the classroom. The kids take care of them (feed/water daily and help clean the box each week).
    I also have a millipede, a red-eared slider, fish, and rats.

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 9, 2007

Do you have to worry about salmonella with turtles and such?

14. Youngteacher226

Feb 9, 2007

What type of tote do you keep them in? Any plastic tote? Do you buy the water bowls and logs from the pet store? I'm just trying to figure out how easy this would be. I would love to invite a pet into our classroom. How often do you feed the turtle, once/twice a day. Do you have to clean them or just the box?
    Sorry about all of the questions but I think my kids would love a turtle.:p

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

I would worry about allergies.

16. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

Don't think you can be allergic to turtles.:confused: Hamsters, yes. Turtles, ??? :D Keep allergies in mind when you choose a pet. Especially since you won't know the allergic reactions of the kids from year to year.