Class notes

Discussion in 'High School' started by curlyone, Jul 25, 2007.

1. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I think this is the first thread I have ever started!

I am at a loss at what to do...
    This will be my 4th year teaching 9th grade Physical Science.

I am starting to prep for my classes (starting in a couple of weeks) and I am thinking of lecture and notes.

I am currently using an awesome textbook program that allows me the freedom to teach using inquiry-based lab investigations as a means of introducing concepts.

Last year, I assigned reading from the text to be discussed as a class then they have an assignment to review the content learned in lab and the reading. However, getting 9th graders to actually read is so frustrating, most would just wait until the assignment was passed out then complain that they could not find the answers in the book (they are there, trust me) I talked with my department head at the end of the school year and he suggested using overhead notes and lecture.

Okay, here is my question...How in depth should the overhead notes be? Should they be a basic outline and expect students to be able to fill it in as I lecture? Should they include every detail I want to talk about? Or maybe start the year detailed, then throughout the year slowly change them to an outline on the overhead, and maybe eventually the students taking their own notes. Oh, the decisions. I know a lot of teachers LOVE the Cornell note system, but I personally don't get anything out of it (flame away!).

Wow, I think I am a little long winded! Sorry this is SO LONG. Thanks so much for your time and advice!

eta: I do not have access to a fancy-shmancy projector to use with powerpoint. I am gonna do this "old school". Not that it makes that much of a difference :whistle:

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I like the idea of giving them less and less as the year progresses. For my low end science kids I had to give them an outline to fill in. After a while they were able to fill in the outline from their textbook. My biology students, on the other hand, can take their own notes. Sometimes I will remind them of important things that they should write down.

I have not tried it, but you could have a kid write on the over head (or board) for you while you lecture.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I like this idea, and I think it will be the most successful option. Students can get a sense of how to take notes at the beginning of the year, and they can demonstrate those skills on their own more and more as the year progresses.

One thing I do suggest is to spend a day or two teaching how to take notes. I'm finding that a lot of kids really don't understand how to pick out the most important things in a reading, so taking notes is pretty hit and miss for them. If you can spend a class period or so working on how to identify main ideas and supporting details, I think note-taking will go a lot more smoothly for your kids.

At my school we have to use the Cornell system, but I'm with you... I don't love it and I feel like sort of a hypocrite making my students do it. But, since it's one of my directives from my admins, I have to.

5. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Have you tried SQ3R or SMART reading stratgies??

The book I use for science is at a really high reading level - so I have to go through the sections and give notes on the material. Sometimes I put rough outlines on the board, but other times I have them make their own using those strategies. I figure that it is teaching them literacy skills at the same time!

I agree with students complaining that they can't find answers when they do exist in the book (shaking head . . . ). Just a little bit more effort please!!!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

I think the outline format would work well, and once in a while you could throw in a "underline this it WILL be on the test/quiz". That wakes up the kids who have zoned out!

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Towards the end of the year the outlines I would provide my kids became very basic. I would type out the section titles from the chapter and leave bank spaces for them to fill out. Or, if I was doing a presentation I would put the title for most of the slides and have them fill out everything else. It kept them on track - oddly enough.