Class Money

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Tri'nTeacher, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2006

Hello!
    In my student teaching assignment my master teacher used class money as a classroom management tool. I absolutely :love: the idea. So I've been searching the web for a money template and I ran into a great website that actually customizes the money for you.

So the question is where did you get the tempate for your classroom money? If you already have classroom money what do you have printed on it? Also how much money do you start the kids off with?

Looking forward to your responses. :thanks:

3. allyd

allyd Rookie

Feb 17, 2006

A teacher that I know bought cheapo paper money at the dollar store and put her picture in place of the picture on it. She then photocopied it and calls it "Smithbucks". She used her last name to title the money. The students love them and they look pretty neat and were very inexpensive!

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 17, 2006

My sons class also uses 'bonus' bucks. They pay rent, taxes, insurance. Some have jobs they get paid for, money is the payment for assignments & behavior, then they get to go to the class store. His teacher, just draws rectangles on paper and wrote in the dollar amounts with various faces (smile, laugh etc) for the middle picture. Then she ran sheets off on the ditto machine and cut them apart.

5. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 17, 2006

I love the idea of "rent" and "taxes." I ordered money from some website (I can't remember the name right now) and I called them "Deserving Dollars." They look pretty close to US money! I ordered the PDF file from the company who made it so I am able to copy as many as I need.

I'm debating on how much money I should start the kids off with. These are first graders and I only get to see them in 30 minute increments when they come to me for reading.

Thanks for all of the ideas I am keeping track of them when for when I get my own classroom.....hopefully in the fall (fingers crossed).

6. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Feb 17, 2006

One of my colleagues uses money for a rewards system. Her last name is Pais, so she calls her money "Paisos"! When they've earned enough money, they can go "shopping".

7. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Feb 18, 2006

What sorts of things do you let your students buy? For what grade-levels do use the money system for? I teach 1/2 multiage and would love to implement this maybe next year.
    I have coin stamps that I thought of using for the system.

8. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

I saw it in a fourth grade classroom, but I think that it could work with any grade. The early elementary grades focus more on coins so that would be perfect for them.

I really love this as a classroom management tool. The kids really hate being charges for not bringing their homework and they make sure they've got it before they come to school. Also, in the older grades you can charge the kids for bathroom breaks, replacing lost pencils, no name on work, etc. etc. it really is a motivator!

Students buy anything the teacher can get for "free" or "close to free." My master teacher would put all of the free little McDonald's Happy Meal toys in there. She also would create "free homework", "free time" passes, "lunch with the teacher", "popcorn and a movie at lunch." She also buys things in bulk from Oriental Trading Company (pencils, erasers, pencil boxes, arts/crafts). She also would keep her eye out for the .99 cent books through Scholastic and order a few copies to auction.

Another great idea that my master teacher has is that she collects all the little gifts her students give her in a box. She then trades that box with a colleague at another school. All of those little gifts go up for auction as well (I know the kids really mean well when they give you those gifts but there is only so many little stuffed animals a teacher can keep :D).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  9. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Feb 18, 2006

Oooh... what an excellent idea to trade those little gifts you just can't hold on to!

Thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone have a "price list" or a list of payments/fines to share?

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Feb 18, 2006

I used money with my 5th graders. I gave them a penny for lining up quietly, getting a compliment in the hall, cleaning up, turning in homework - easy stuff. I gave them 5 cents for passing Accelerated Reader quizzes or getting problems correct in Math Olympiad - harder stuff. THEY HAD TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR MONEY!! If they did not earn very much or lost their money, they had to depend on the kindness of their classmates. I had a buying day every six weeks. We built little houses out of candy or cereals. They had to plan their house from a price list and give me their plan before they could build their house. They had to add up the cost of their house. We had fun and they were learning while being rewarded. So sneaky and no one could say that learning was not taking place during that time

11. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

Those sound like REALLY great ideas!!!!!!!

12. herins

herins Companion

Feb 20, 2006

I photocopied masters from our math textbook of all the Canadian coins. The pennies are on orange cardstock, and the rest are on grey. I then cut them out and laminated them (they're square cuz I didn't feel like cutting them all out). I give my students a penny when they work hard, speak French, walk quietly in the hall, etc. They can trade in for nickels, dimes and quarters. I give them a dime for their birthdays (oooooh!). A mother opens the "store" every Friday afternoon and calls them to shop one or two at a time. She keeps track of how much they spend or save, so I can tell who I'm neglecting to reward. In the store, the prices range from 1 cent to 30 cents. I have had stickers, pencil sharpeners, erasers, tops, playdough, small teddy bears, curly shoelaces, etc. The children sometimes buy things for other people, so around Christmas, I had small trinkets that they bought for their parents. One child even asked if he could buy the paperclip holding the stickers together. I love the system and am finding it to work wonderfully. They are soo well-behaved and understand money and the base-ten system incredibly.

13. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Feb 21, 2006

Does this work in high school?

14. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 21, 2006

For high school the stakes might need to be higher. They probably would love free homework passes, movie tickets, gift certificates (in small amounts to local restaurants), school gear w/logo or name on it. I think a raffle would work extremely well with this age group.

15. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Feb 21, 2006

High schoolers might also like things for their cars- air fresheners or tokens for a car wash.
    Last year, the PTA gave each teacher an "entertainment book"- don' know if you're familiar- they're books full of special price coupons that are usually sold as fundraisers. That would be a great resource for some gift certificates- even if you have to buy the book yourself (I think 15-20 dollars), there's no way you'd go through all the coupons yourself, so why not use them in class!

16. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 21, 2006

The Entertainment book is an EXCELLENT idea!

17. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Mar 10, 2006

To save time photocopying...we did checkbooks in 4th grade...we had a parent volunteer put together checkbooks for our students and the kids had to write us checks for fines and to buy things, we could deposit money if they got a reward...it was awesome and way less work on my part!! :)

18. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

I love the idea of paper money or coins and allowing the children to "earn" money and lose it if necessary. But how do you all keep track of the money and how much is lost? And where do the children keep their money as they earn it? Just thought of those things in case I teach younger children like 1st grade. Thanks.

19. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Mar 28, 2006

My son, who is in second keeps his money in his desk, hidden. It is their job to keep track of it. They made wallets one day and that is where it is stored. I, personally would worry about kids getting into other kids money and would want to store their wallets for them, but that is probably a lot more work especially when it was time to be paid or pay for something. They do not use coins. Once a week they get to shop at the class store. I believe the teacher pays on the spot for behavior and payment to her is expected asap.

20. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Mar 28, 2006

I had 5th grade when I used money. I paid on the spot and they kept their money in a holder that they made. They were supposed to keep it in their desk folder and they had to keep up with it themselves. For younger grades, I have seen little containers, cups, banks, or boxes kept in one place in the classroom.

21. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

The best place to find "trinkets, and treasures, ect." for your bonus bucks systems in the classroom is from
    http://www.smilemakers.com. It's a wonderful site which gives teacher discounts on bulk items and their materials are much better quality than Oriental Trading Company and you get a good discount with them instead as well.

Troy In Los Angeles, CA
    AspieTeacher

22. msladybugzz

msladybugzz Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

About 15 years ago I used a token / ticket system in my 2nd grade classroom. I got to thinking they could be learning the value of coins instead, so ever since then I have used money as a BIG part of my routine, in every grade from K-4.
    I have several sets of plastic coins (Oriental trading) and very child has a crayon bank (also Oriental trading, about $1 each and have lasted 8 years so far!). Kids sit 4 per group/table and each table has a plastic carrying tub holding one red, blue, yellow, and green bank (so kids know which is theirs). They are not allowed to play with their bank or count money except at the end of the day.

Kids earn a nickel at the end of Guided Reading group (if they worked hard) and a nickel for submitting homework, etc...
    They earn a penny for each act of participation (positive response or action) during a whole class lesson (DOL, Math, etc...) A tub of pennies is kept in an open margarine tub on the center of each group. They learn very quickly that any positive verbal reply from me "yes, good job, that's right, excellent," etc... earns a penny. After about ten days, this happens automatically -without me "telling" them to take money. They take a penny and put it in the slit in their bank. It sounds like this would be intrusive to the lesson, but actually - it enhances it as EVERYONE is participating actively. When we do calendar, kids sit "pretzel style" and I toss the penny to them for participation - they put it in the center of their lap and are not to touch it until they get up from calendar to return to their seat. (Otherwise I simply take it back.)
    Kids learn the concept of counting coins because I select a few "Bankers" on Friday and they help me trade to larger coins and bills. After that they can go to one of three price determined treasure boxes ($1, $5, and $10) that contain items like OrTr toys, McD Happy Meal toys, etc... and things donated from kids/parents when they clean out closets. I do have to save about 30-45 minutes for this on Friday, but it is worth it to have all of my kids actively participating during my lessons (hence learning more)!
    It is also a behavioral deterent as I have kids bring me money after one verbal warning for disruptive behavior.
    The only problem I have ever had in ten years of using money is one child stealing from the center tub when he went back to the room for something. He lost his money/bank for a month and I have since warned each class of this - never happened again.
    Once a parent (from another class) said I was bribing my kids. My reply was something like - I expect to be paid when I work hard, why shouldn't my students?
    Hope this helps and good luck to you!

23. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

This is a topic I've been very interested in as my team teacher and I are going to do this as well. I bookmarked a couple of the discussion threads and an awesome site that outlines a classroom economy in its entirety.

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

I wish I had had this teacher when I was a kid. Her web site is absolutely incredible ..... you'll spend quite a bit of time and I guarantee that you'll find worthwhile ideas.

Discussion Threads:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=22730&highlight=scholar+dollars

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=11107

24. asumountaineer

asumountaineer Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I have used money in the past as rewards and I held an auction at the end of every grading period. I teach first grade, and the students earn $1 for every day they do not pull a fish (or whatever you do). I decided not to take away money, because I wanted to be fair and keep it positive. About 2 weeks before the end of the grading period, I ask each child to bring in 1 toy. It can be new or "gently used." I tell them the toy can cost between $1 to $5, but the kids like the dollar store stuff the best anyway. They keep up with their own money and they decide what they want to bid on. The toy goes to the highest bidder. My husband is a computer buff, so he designed my money for me. At my first school, our mascot was an eagle, so I had "Eagle Dollars." At the school I am currently at, we have "Wildcat Dollars." I make one dollar bills and five dollar bills. I always buy extra toys and usually parents donate more than one thing for the children that can't afford it.

25. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I LOVE the Troy school's web site. The economy unit is amazing.
    Thanks for sharing.

26. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 14, 2006

I would love to know what site this is. I might incorporate money into my teaching this year. At the end of the year, when we start the Revolution, we start over taxing for everything, and I thought last year that I would start at the beginning of the year with "fair" taxes so they would be really shocked at the "unfair" taxes.

27. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Dollar tree has student checkbooks on sale now!!! They are very cute, and perfect for the uses that have been discussed here.