Class meetings?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Jul 11, 2012.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

I just got finished reading Positive Discipline and clasrsroom meetings are integral to the program. Has anyone done classroom meetings- had students help brainstorm and problem solve?

Also, what time of day have you typically done class meetings?

I did a morning meeting last year, but it was mostly for a morning greeting and a time where kids could share something about themselves. I'm wondering if it might be better to do meetings at the end of the day... But imnot sure if there is one time that works better than another.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

We use the Olweus anti-bullying program so I tend to save the problem-solving discussions for those meetings. We do come together every morning as well.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 11, 2012

I like Responsive Classroom and do a morning meeting each day. I just got a new book by Caltha Crowe (she wrote several of the Responsive Classroom books) called How to Bullyproof Your Classroom. It references the Olweus program at least twice. The main ideas are to respond to all mean behavior; and teach bystanders to stand up to bullies. She says the idea is to make bullying as socially unacceptable as hitting.

I appreciate this book because it does not refer to people as bullies or victims. Instead, it talks about the child. The child who is doing the bullying. The child who is the target of the bullying.

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

We met in Magic Circle after recess & if the students requested it.