Class Meetings: Topic ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Aug 23, 2014.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2014

Does anyone know of a site where I can find topics for class meetings (something appropriate for K & 1st)? I had my first class meeting on Friday and it went well. We talked about feelings. I already know that on the next one I want to discuss mistakes and embracing mistakes, but I would really like a reference for topics for when I need ideas.

Thanks!

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 23, 2014

What is your overall goal for that time? Are you trying to find character trait topics, build community, or make academic connections?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

Be driven by what's going on in the Class room....conflict resolution, goal setting, social skills, character taits....

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2014

All of the above.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2014

Here is a good article on class meetings; you may already be familiar with the ideas, but it's always good to see it in print:

https://www.teachervision.com/classroom-management/interpersonal-skills/4864.html?page=2

When I had class meetings, the kids really liked to pass an object around the circle. When they had the object (stuffed animal, etc), it was their turn to speak.

From the book, Tribes:
    At each class meeting, announce a different prompt or format for sharing. The Tribes book offers a wealth of ideas for this purpose. For instance, it is effective to go around the circle and finish sentences, such as:

"One thing I like about our classroom is...."
    "I'm grateful that...."
    "One good thing that happened to me recently is...."
    "I wish...."
    "I'm bigger than a ______. I'm smaller than a ________."
    "I hope that...."
    Interview Circle

Another idea is Interview Circle where one student sits in the middle and the other students ask him/her three autobiographical questions. For instance, they ask about brothers and sister, pets, likes and dislikes, etc. The interviewee can choose to pass on any of the questions. I model how it works by going first. The kids enjoy calling on their classmates and learning about each other.

8. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 23, 2014

I agree with this. If there aren't any issues one week, maybe you can let the kids brainstorm topics beforehand and then create a meeting based on what they want to work on.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

This is helpful. Thanks!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2014

I still have the Morning Meeting book available, Tami. You can have it if you'd like.

My most troubled class did benefit from morning meeting. It was hard to get them to even look at each other at first. Some couldn't sit in a circle and needed to use a chair. Using a welcome song or chant was also helpful.

11. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Sep 11, 2014

Tribes is a good book for all sorts of things.

12. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 12, 2014

I have no topics in mind, but choose the topic that helps the students and shouldnt get bored of the topics and thanks all fr the awesome mentions and topics

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2014

Today we met about conflict resolution. It was really nice :) I introduced a wheel of choice that we discussed. Then they each chose one option to remention to the class.. Last, they did an activity where they chose 4 conflict-resolution strategies and illustrated them.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2014

My school does different monthly themes for character enrichment some are self-discipline, respect, empathy, compassion, kindness, honesty, patience, etc. You could use these as some of the topics.