Class meetings in upper elementary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Aug 21, 2014.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

If you have these meetings, how often do you have them, how are they formatted, and how long do they last?

3. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

Do you mean like a morning meeting? When I taught 8th grade we did it for 12-15 minutes every day.

Generally it was:

Greeting (I would do a different one every day--handshake (a true one--firm grip and eye contact!), ball toss, hand signal.

Morning Message: This is where I generally would outline the chnages to the schedule and any announcements (Picture Day tomorrow, signed progress reports due, etc). Sometimes I would throw in grammar mistakes and have the kids fix them.

Share: I would switch this up. I would ask a question in my message, bring up a current event, ask a kid to ask a question, or just ask generally if anyone had anything they wanted to share. I would limit it to 2 sentences/per kid because otherwise they would tell looooong stories.

Game: We didn't always get to this if share took a long time but played Follow the Leader, Charades, Hot Potato, and some other ice breaker type games.

Closing: A quick pep talk and a reminder to have a great day.

I would count them in and out of the circle. ("Morning Meeting in 5, Morning Meeting in 4" and then "Back to your seats in 5,....)

I really looked forward to it every day--and I worked in a pretty tough school. I thought my 8th grader would think it was dumb but they really enjoyed--even the silly games and shares. It takes a LOT of practice and routines to get it down though and set meeting guidelines.

Hope that helps!

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 22, 2014

This does help. We're starting an anti-bullying program and are required to have "morning meetings." Did you students all sit in a circle or stand?

5. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 22, 2014

I had them bring their chairs to circle. We practiced how they would move them and make room in the circle.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2014

:thumb:
    Also, it is worth figuring out some way (sitting in chairs, on the floor, etc) to get the kids in a circle... not always easy in a small classroom.

7. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 23, 2014

Would the meetings still be able to be beneficial without having to get in a circle? My room is very awkwardly shaped and small.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2014

I love this thread, because I've been trying to figure out how to implement morning meeting with my 5th graders. Please keep the ideas coming. :)

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 23, 2014

MORNING MEETING WORKS FOR ALL GRADES.

And should be mandatory. Kids don't stop needing social/emotional learning just because they hit the upper grades!

Our 7th grade math teacher put a carpet in her room for small group instruction and meeting time...she is getting so much flack for it! NEWSFLASH: Kids don't want to sit in their desks for 7 hours.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2014

I don't want to sit for 7 hours. I don't know why anyone thinks a kid should do it.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

I have the same question. I do have a carpet area - rare in 5th, but totally normal at my school (which I love) - but I can't imagine all 28 of my big kids plus me fitting in a circle around it....should I have them make their chairs into a circle around the desks...?

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

Lucky you! I wish I had a carpet. Maybe you could try getting everyone together there one time during the first week, just to see how they fit?

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Oh they'll fit - that's how we do some mini lessons and all read alouds. It's the circle part I don't think will work. But I'm definitely going to try!!

14. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 24, 2014

I had long conference-like tables so my classroom set up wasn't ideal for circle either. We just sort of gathered our chairs around the tables--sometimes it was an oval or an egg but we managed!!

15. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 25, 2014

Can these be conducted in a regular seated classroom without the circle?