Class Made Big Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jan 16, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 16, 2011

Anyone ever done anything like this? My students love making book and love reading big books so I figured this would be a great idea.

What have been some topics you have used? I teach first.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

We usually made them based off of another book. We made them based on The Mitten, the Froggy books, Very Hungry Caterpillar, etc. We also made one about ourselves as authors, which the students loved.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

We just finished one from "Each Orange Had 8 Slices." They used paper collage to illustrate their work. The youngest ones tried to be very impressive with something like:

On my walk outside, I saw 11 cats and each one had 8 kittens. How many cats? How many kittens? How many in all?​

and when they got to the illustrations... it changed to something more like 2 cats with 3 kittens. Haha. Adorable book, too.

Oh, and we don't make Big Books because it's too much to fill with art. I use 9x12 construction paper sheets.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 16, 2011

We made several "Our Book About____" using our favorite books. We would retell the story. I would give each student one sentence of our retelling to illustrate. Once they were finished with their pages, we'd practicing sequencing by putting the pages in the correct order. I'd laminate it and bind it, then send it home with the actual book we retold for parents to read with their kids. I had a comment sheet and the kids loved hearing what the parents had to say about their book.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 16, 2011

mopar how did you make a book with the mitten?

I guess I understand and know what books I can use but I am not sure how to transfer it for something the kids can make into a book.

7. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jan 16, 2011

When I taught 1st grade two years ago. We read the story "The Enornmus Turnip", we wrote a story similar to that our story was called "The Great Big Strawberry". We wrote it together and the students illustrated the book.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

I made a picture of a large mitten that I copied. After reading the story, we talked about the animals and how they moved into the mitten. We wrote down some animals and ways to get into the mitten.

Then the students worked on drawing a picture of their animal while I either helped them to write their sentence or they dictated their sentence to me.