Class lists

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Aug 4, 2009.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

Hi everyone!
    Just wondered when you get your class lists? I ask because I am feeling frustrated with the fact that we get ours SO very close to when school starts. The last minute push to label everything and learn the names drives me CRAAAAZY!! lol:whistle:

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I agree 100%! I teach kindergarten and in an effort to get parents to preregister they are told whose class their child will be in early, so we have a few of our names. We have a visit day for parents & students to come, meet the teacher and bring supplies, so we (kindergarten) will be given the rest of our names this Thursday. Our first day of inservice is next Monday, with open house the following Monday. Usually we aren't given class lists until a few days before open house, which means you must scramble to get names on everything. I don't think everyone realizes how many times we write names to get our rooms ready! Off the top of my head, I've counted 16 things that must have every child's name written on.

4. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I think ours are "finalized" two weeks before. It drives me nuts too. Worse though, is that the finalized is truly in quotes. In the three years I have been teaching there, there have been last minute changes literally a day or two before school starts, royally messing up my number system, and making me have to change everything. It drives me batty!

Good for you learning the names before school starts though.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

We got ours before school let out in June....it's a tentative list pending new registrations though. I still never make name tags until a couple days before school starts because of all the movement....sometimes parents complain loudly enough to have their child moved.....:confused:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

We got tentative lists the last day in June. "Final" lists will be given the Thursday before school starts; I anticipate changes right up until the end of the first week of school.

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

We start our PD on a Monday with that evening being our Open House/Meet Your Teacher Night. If we are lucky, we will get our "tentative" class list the preceding Thursday (but more than likely Friday). Not sure if our principal does that because of our parents who would demand changes or what?!? So, yah, if we are lucky we have them the "weekend" before we start back.

8. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I got mine in the middle of July. My school is a rural school with one class for each grade though, so unless someone new moves in or a family moves out there is little change from year to year.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

I have mine already- a full month before school starts!:)

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Last year, at my old school, I got my names the day before school started. :confused: This year, at my old school, the kindergarten teachers will not know who their students will be until after staggered enrollment. AHHH! :eek::eek:

At my new school, we knew our kiddos, minus the new registrations, before the end of last year due to staggered scheduling having to be placed. I love it!

11. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Surprisingly, I got my class list yesterday! Last year I didn't get it until the week before school started.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

We're lucky to get it the Tuesday of the teacher work week. We live in a transient area, so we have a lot of changes even in that last week of school.

13. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I received my tentative list last week about 2 weeks before school starts. I know I will not have a final list till the first or second day of school.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

Final list? What is that??
    Our lists change daily, right up until school officially begins-and even then, we can expect changes until the end of September. We also have a very transient population, so we lose and gain kids all year round!

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Same here-a lot of last minute movement of families. Last I heard, our school's enrollment has gone up by about 100 over the course of the summer and we are a fairly small school. We are supposed to get our lists next week.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Doesn't that make labeling so much fun? :D