Class lists

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Aug 4, 2009.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

Hi everyone!
    Just wondered when you get your class lists? I ask because I am feeling frustrated with the fact that we get ours SO very close to when school starts. The last minute push to label everything and learn the names drives me CRAAAAZY!! lol:whistle:

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I agree 100%! I teach kindergarten and in an effort to get parents to preregister they are told whose class their child will be in early, so we have a few of our names. We have a visit day for parents & students to come, meet the teacher and bring supplies, so we (kindergarten) will be given the rest of our names this Thursday. Our first day of inservice is next Monday, with open house the following Monday. Usually we aren't given class lists until a few days before open house, which means you must scramble to get names on everything. I don't think everyone realizes how many times we write names to get our rooms ready! Off the top of my head, I've counted 16 things that must have every child's name written on.

4. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I think ours are "finalized" two weeks before. It drives me nuts too. Worse though, is that the finalized is truly in quotes. In the three years I have been teaching there, there have been last minute changes literally a day or two before school starts, royally messing up my number system, and making me have to change everything. It drives me batty!

Good for you learning the names before school starts though.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

We got ours before school let out in June....it's a tentative list pending new registrations though. I still never make name tags until a couple days before school starts because of all the movement....sometimes parents complain loudly enough to have their child moved.....:confused:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

We got tentative lists the last day in June. "Final" lists will be given the Thursday before school starts; I anticipate changes right up until the end of the first week of school.

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

We start our PD on a Monday with that evening being our Open House/Meet Your Teacher Night. If we are lucky, we will get our "tentative" class list the preceding Thursday (but more than likely Friday). Not sure if our principal does that because of our parents who would demand changes or what?!? So, yah, if we are lucky we have them the "weekend" before we start back.

8. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I got mine in the middle of July. My school is a rural school with one class for each grade though, so unless someone new moves in or a family moves out there is little change from year to year.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

I have mine already- a full month before school starts!:)

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Last year, at my old school, I got my names the day before school started. :confused: This year, at my old school, the kindergarten teachers will not know who their students will be until after staggered enrollment. AHHH! :eek::eek:

At my new school, we knew our kiddos, minus the new registrations, before the end of last year due to staggered scheduling having to be placed. I love it!

11. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Surprisingly, I got my class list yesterday! Last year I didn't get it until the week before school started.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

We're lucky to get it the Tuesday of the teacher work week. We live in a transient area, so we have a lot of changes even in that last week of school.

13. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I received my tentative list last week about 2 weeks before school starts. I know I will not have a final list till the first or second day of school.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

Final list? What is that??
    Our lists change daily, right up until school officially begins-and even then, we can expect changes until the end of September. We also have a very transient population, so we lose and gain kids all year round!

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Same here-a lot of last minute movement of families. Last I heard, our school's enrollment has gone up by about 100 over the course of the summer and we are a fairly small school. We are supposed to get our lists next week.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Doesn't that make labeling so much fun? :D

17. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Same here. We get a list around the last week of school. The parents find out on the report card that goes home the last day of school.
    I checked with the office last week to see if anyone had moved. - Not that we know of. I'm keeping blank sets of everything ready in case I get a move in or two. (there are 3 first grades so I don't typically get too many, they spread it out)

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

Sooo fun! We found out our lists 5 mins. before meet the teacher last year. I label everything but have a blank space where there name goes. Whenever I get the list, I use the clear labels and stick their name on the previously made labels.

19. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I checked with my school last week and this week for a class list. No Luck I think they will be ready the week teachers are scheduled to go back. It would be nice to have the names ahead of time.

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

We got our lists last week. I don't put any importance into them because they always change and I always have a handful of students that never show up anyhow. I give each student a number, which saves me the time of labeling things with their names.

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 4, 2009

this is why I laminate things and write names in vis a vie marker. That way all I have to do is wipe off and rewrite until our rosters settle down in September.

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

I got mine at the end of the year, but it has changed a bit...

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 5, 2009

Who Labels?:lol:
    I usually have the kids label their notebooks, but for my mailboxes and such, I use numbers. That way, when I gain or lose a kid, I can just reissue numbers.

24. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

We don't usually get a 'final' list until one or two days before school starts, but I got the current list last night! It's always a gamble starting to label things before the first week though.

25. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 5, 2009

We don't get our "final" class lists until a week before school starts. I completely agree...it drives me nuts too. But they have to wait until registration. So I understand that I guess.

26. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 5, 2009

That's nice for a 5th grade teacher...but a 1st grade teacher like me can't count on the kids actually writing their names neatly & correctly...especially on the first day of school!!! So I label everything. (a lot of my kids couldn't spell their last name at the beginning of last year!)

27. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

I use numbers on my reusable things (cubbies, etc.) but for their personal items, I use labels with their names. It also helps when the kids are passing out folders or whatnot.

28. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

We haven't gotten our class lists officially. But our class is on our gradebook program already, so I just go off that.

29. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

Before they started doing registration on the computer, we would be lucky to get our class lists 2 days before school started. That made trying to run 1st day papers for six different classes interesting. We have one copier and 1 mimeo for the whole high school and there would be a line for two days. And then there are all those kids who show up on the first day that aren't on your roster because the guidance counselor changed their schedule this morning.

30. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Since I loop, I already know almost all of my kids. I did have one withdraw last week, so I know I will be getting someone new. Truth is, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to things being in ABC order. I don't label anything until a day or two before school starts :)

When I go back down to Kindergarten, I usually have a tentative list before school lets out in June, but there is always movement!

31. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

oooooh, I didn't even think about hacking into our program...I'll have to do that when I'm in on Friday ;)

32. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I have had the same 23 students for the past 3 weeks since I received my roster, which is interesting all in itself. Normally it changes a bit in even just a few weeks. These kids must be velcroed to me or something. If it stays the same for Open House two weeks from tomorrow, I'll get a good laugh out of it. :)

Oh, and to answer your question, we receive our lists as early as the mid-July if we come to the school to pick it up.

33. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

We get ours 3-4 days before school starts. Not sure why, I would like it sooner to begin to learn their names.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

At my old school we wouldnt get class lists until the day of meet the teacher night. So it was a mad rush to get things labled. Principal was a control freak and that was her way of controling one more thing to make our lives miserable. My new principal gave us our list yesterday. Of course its a work in progress anyway. We moved into a new town where it sounds like they don't have much movement in or out of the schools. Of course at our grade level there will be one more, someone will get my daughter. I have been wanting to register her the last three days but our old district wont release her (and the other two kids) records until Monday. Has something to do with their programs. It's ticking me off though. I have "free" time right now. Next week is going to the week from heck with NTO and getting all the kids ready before I start back on the 12th.

35. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

We get ours on the day before school starts. Last year, my P put two kids in my class that weren't supposed to be together. I complained loudly enough that he called me the night before school started at 8:30 to tell me that the child had been switched.

The year before, they were moving kids around the first week after realizing that all three severe behavior problems were all in my class.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2009

Ours can change up until the first bell on the first day :mad:
    Last year, we had about 12 changes on my grade level AFTER open house (which is the Thursday before school starts)

37. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

I posted I got my class list on Tuesday. I go up today to work on my room and I am not there two seconds and I get a class change. It's a good thing I hadn't done anything at home the day before.

38. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2009

Ours can change until the morning of Open House (some of you call it "Meet the Teacher"). Last year's class was interesting- I gained two students the day of Open House, and two didn't turn out showing up.

In the hallway, I put up a bulletin board where I can write on names with a permanent marker 15-20 minutes before our three hours of Open House begins. Last year, the theme was "Welcome to the jPod" and had iPods, which was AWESOME. The year before was about "building a foundation" and had paint buckets. It helped to add names right before Open House.