Class list

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsHoot, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I just got mine, and for some reason they always get me excited. :D I alWays like to imagine who will match each name and what kind of class they might be. (I like trying to guess who the future tough ones will be too.). How does a new class list make you feel?

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012

I always get excited too! Our lists were supposed to be available, but my AP said he's still working on them.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

Wow, we don't get our class list until the day before school starts. :( Makes it somewhat hard to rush to make name tags, etc.

And we're also told NOT to make name tags because changes can happen up to a few days AFTER school has started.

And they have.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 26, 2012

We get ours in a couple of weeks-- but they're never finalized because parents at our school always make some kind of silly demand saying their child can or cannot be with this person. Thankfully we only have 2 homerooms per grade so this or that and easy to change in my online gradebook.

But yeah I do love getting the class lists-- it gets my butt in gear to do work to prep :)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

We get ours about a week before school starts, but it can (and will) change up until the first day of school.

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 26, 2012

We won't get ours until sometime e during in service. However, I work at a small school so I have a good idea of what to expect. Lol.

8. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I'm especially excited this year because I may have some students that I've already taught in first :)

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

We get our rosters at a different time every year. There have been years that we have gone back for PD, and still didn't know our period schedule and class lists! We got a copy of our period-by-period schedule at the end of the year, but when I click on those classes on the computer no names come up. The funny thing is, though, that the students can already see their own schedules and teachers on PowerSchool! We always find out last!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

We have our kids for two years; my 3rd graders move up and my 2nd graders stay on as new 3rd graders. I get new 2nd graders. It takes our staff hours to place kids in the next cluster. I got my class list before school let out for summer, subject to change.

The parents find out where their kids are going in a letter in mid-July. Once those were received, I sent an invitation to a potluck play day so they can all meet me and each other before the first day.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

They tend to make me nervous because invariably, there are teachers who will say, "oh you have so-and-so, good luck!" But on the flipside, it's nice to hear, "oh you have so-and-so, you'll love her!"

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

Our class lists are always marked up for us. We know which students have IEPs, 504s, behavior needs, difficult parents, need translators, etc. So we don't really have the excitement of waiting to find out.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

We get ours before school lets out, but its subject to change. I love looking up my kids in the yearbook...it makes me excited!

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

Ours are the same. They are even labeled high, average, and low for both reading and math.

15. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

You all are making me want my classlist! School doesn't start until August 27 and we're supposed to get our list the week before school starts. Im actually in my classroom now prepping...just taking a little break. :)

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

Teaching HS SPED I pretty much know who is in my resource class; however, the class lists for the inclusion classes are always up in the air and they are constantly changing the first few weeks of school.

17. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I love getting my list! I love to study their names and check their birthdates to see if anyone matches mine, my spouse, or my children. I love saying and reading aloud their full names. I like seeing how many have the same names or start with the same letter.

I love when someone says, "oh, you have so and so...I'm sorry." It just
    makes me extremely determined to love that child more than normal and to have an excellent year with that child. I enjoy being able to say, " Oh, they are having a wonderful year! I just love that child!! "
    I know, probably not very mature on my part, but, oh well!

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

I used to get nervous as well.

Then I realized... just as students have their personalities, we teachers have ours. And just because that student didn't respond well to that particular teacher's demeanor/rules/expectations, doesn't necessarily mean he/she will react the same to mine.

I had a student who I adored. An awesome kid that would do ANYTHING for me.

I read his past articulation cards to see from kindergarten through third grade (I teach 4th) the same basic gist: "Douglas struggles with authority. Often given to fits of rage and anger. Strong-willed and quick to disobey."

Whoa...what? This was the same kid. All four previous teachers saw this with Douglas (not his real name :) ), but for me, he was a gem.

*shrug*

I don't mind challenging students that much at this point in my career. I'll take those over challenging parents ANY day! :)

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

We get a list the day before (or sometimes even of) meet the teacher and they add to it from there, through the first week of school. I hate not getting a list until the day before meet the teacher, it is such a rush to get things labeled. Meet the teacher is Thursday before school starts on Monday, so just a few days. The reason we don't get them is that less that half of students register for kindergarten in May before school ends, the rest of them come the week before school starts, or even in the first few weeks of school.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

Ditto! I also like to have an idea as to how many girls vs boys I will so I can plan little gifts, etc...

I received an e-mail today that we can expect our list Aug 6

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

Same here =(

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

We got ours mid summer.

I know all of my seniors, had them as juniors.

It's nice to be able to put together seating charts in advance.

I try very hard not to listen to "oh, good luck with him" talk, but sometimes it helps figure out who should be seated in the front, etc.

My biggest section has 24 kids. My smallest 9. I LOVE big, full classes.

23. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

We have "profile cards" that the previous teacher filled out at the end of the school year letting us know things like whether a child has an IEP, is on a SAT plan, wears glasses, is left or right handed (which I think is odd because it doesn't really matter to me either way- should it?), any health issues, whether the child is ADD or ADHD and if s/he is on meds, how involved the parents are, reading and math levels, whether they have Speech class, which bus they ride, if there are any behavior or academic concerns, etc. They actually come in pretty handy, but I do agree with what a previous poster said- I don't listen to horror stories about kids' behavior any more. I have had too many kids either mature over the Summer or something, because kids that were in trouble for talking or misbehaving constantly the year before have been fine (some WONDERFUL) for me.

24. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

Knowing whether a child is left or right handed is important, so you seat them correctly. Otherwise, a lefty next to a righty can bump elbows when they write...if you put them right-->left. Always seat them left---->right (as seen from the child's seat.)

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

We used to get our lists the last day of school, but we have a new principal and haven't heard a word and school starts in just over two weeks.

26. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

I got mine at the end of last year. Of course there is always the possibility (small) of changes from admin over the summer and the greater possibility that certain students will just not show up after summer (somewhat of a transient population.) There's also a chance of getting new ones at the beginning of the year. I don't do name tags on much before school starts just to be sure. My kids are all generally coming from the same classroom which happens to be my best friend's classroom right across the hall from mine, so I know most of them already and they know me, which is nice. I know generally what their abilities/reading levels are and it's allowed me to prepare some things over the summer. That's a huge help since it's a new grade level for me.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

Oh, I've got a list, IEPs, previous teacher notes....the whole shabang. I LOVEEEE my kids on paper already. :) I'm super excited. Only one was marked as super difficult, but like Curiouscat said, I'm just determined to love him/her more.

28. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

I would have NEVER thought of that. After six years of teaching, no one has EVER complained! :lol:

THANK YOU! :thumb:

29. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

We won't get ours until inservice week, right before school starts.

I already know pretty much who will be in my classes, because they have to apply to get in to my program, and then most of my freshmen stay in my class the next 3 years.

But for some reason getting that print out DOES make me excited. It makes it at all seem real that we are going back! haha

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

I'm at a small school (only one class per grade), and each lower grade teacher teaches a special for grades 1-4. Aside from an occasional new student or somebody leaving (maybe 1-2 changes a year), I know who'll be in my class three years before they get here. While I don't get that feeling of surprise, it's nice having a relationship with the kids before they get to my class. Although, for some of them it is kind of a shock that 3rd grade isn't exactly like music class all day...

31. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

I got mine the last day of school, along with their RTI folders. It could change, but as of now, I have 11 students from last year (we departmentalized 4th/5th, so these are 4th graders moving up to 5th).

32. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

In past years we have not gotten our lists until just a couple of days before school starts. It always makes it hard to get name tags completed.

33. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

Love reading the responses! I love looking up their pictures in the year book too. Ours may change too if new kids get added, etc as we get closer to school. Of right now, I have 11 girls and 10 boys... 21 students. I think I had 18 my first year in first!

34. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

Only 21? We are going to have 28 3rd graders per class this year!

35. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 27, 2012

Made a quick stop at school yesterday to drop off banners I had made for our anti-bullying program (made them through Vista Print and they turned out fabulous) and found my upcoming class's reading folders in my mailbox. Looked quickly and found out I'll have 16 second graders. 12 are on levels M or N (we use F & P), 1 is on level K, 2 on Level L and the last one H who will be going out for Tier 3 RTI 5 times a week. Very, very pleased. Not even sure if I'll have an RTI group in my room unless someone new moves in.

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

Even though I don't have my class list, I have started to use last year's yearbook to memorize student names; we are departmentalized so I will have all of the students for math.

37. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

We are given the IEP, 504 info, but little else. It would help sometimes to know that they have difficult parents, have poverty and/or family issues.

We get ours a week before our in-service week. I wish it were earlier so we had more time to figure out their schedules on the team, label files, etc. The roster is always subject to change and it often does those first three weeks or so of school. No matter what, it is exciting to get those names and start envisioning my classes. And, yes, it does kind of give me that little lift to finish up my preparations for the beginning of school.

I have noticed, though, that as the economy has tanked, we have more and more kids switching in and out of the school throughout the year because they lost their homes, parents had to go elsewhere to work, etc. Sad.

38. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

We also get a form like queenie mentioned with info from last year's teacher about if they are classified, go to speech, g&t, OT/PT, I&RS, etc and how they are in reading and math. It's helpful at times, but we don't get it until just after school starts, so all of my kids have a pretty clean slate from the first day :) However, I do appreciate the heads up as to where they finished the year in reading.

I currently am scheduled for 17 second graders, with 11 boys :woot: and 6 girls. It's a very boy-heavy grade this year.

39. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 28, 2012

So far I have 20 on my list of 2nd graders, 11 boys, 9 girls. Open house is Wednesday (Aug. 1st) so I am sure it will change again before then.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 28, 2012

Getting your class list sounds so exciting. I will have the same students I had last year and the same ones are in summer school. Not too exciting but it's nice to know what to expect.

41. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2012

Those sound a lot like the reading levels of the 3rd graders I'm getting :(