Class List

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by TeachGrd1, Jul 13, 2005.

1. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

I went to school today and picked up my class list. I was shocked to see that I only had 16 students on it. I know that the list will likely change between now and school start (August 17th), but I am curious as to how much. Is there an average that your lists have changed throughout the years? My dad was joking and telling me that I will have around ten additional students! I didn't think it was a very funny joke! :)

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2005

I usually add 1 or 2 students from the time the first list comes out (in June). Right now I am only slated for 21 this year.

4. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 13, 2005

At least you have your list. We are all asking for ours but our new principal is being very tight lipped about everything. It sure would help to set up my room if I knew how many people I would have.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 13, 2005

We start school with students the 29th. I have yet to see an official copy of my class list. I saw an "unofficial" copy (before they fiddled with it in the main office) before school was out because I am slated to teach ESL students for 1/2 of my class list. I have been over to school 2 mornings this week getting things ready before preplanning and hoped our new administrator would mention the lists but she hasn't so far, even after I went into the building (I am in a mobile) just to let them know I was on the premises. Oh well, it will be an interesting time getting names on everything before the open house the 28th.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 13, 2005

I never get my class list until the day of Open House, which is the day or 2 before the start of school. I am usually madly trying to label everything right up until the time parents come in for Open House and even then the list is not always complete or correct.

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 13, 2005

We are looking at 27 each in Kindergarten this year. We don't get to see our class list until the first or second week of August.

8. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

Yikes, hearing numbers like 27 makes my tummy cringe! After 25 you atleast get an aid, right?

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 13, 2005

In California, the primary grades (1,2,3) are limited to 20 students in a class by law. 4th and 5th usually have around 30 in a class, and I think they get an aide at 32. I don't know about the middle school grades.

10. dee

dee Companion

Jul 14, 2005

I am so excited about my roster this year, I have 15 for now. Last year my numbers fluctuated from 17-20. I never had over 20, though my initial roster had 22. 2 students never came. The kindergarten numbers for last year, which is my first grade crop for this year was always @ a low number. I am excited about this.

11. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 14, 2005

I have had 27 kinders with no assistant. We have 2 assistants per grade level. So that means 10 kindergarten classes get to share 2 assistants. We get one for about one hour a day but they need to work with a specific group of kids (pulled out). So, basically we have no assistant.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2005

Margo,
    I feel sorry for you and the kinderbeaners...........that is a lot! How do you manage? I bet you are EXHAUSTED at the end of each day! Do you have lots of parent helpers?

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 14, 2005

Thankfully the numbers are dropping. Florida passed a class size reduction act a couple of years ago and that is helping with my numbers. Now, I usually run 20-24 kiddos. I am exhaused at the end of the day. Luckily, I have very good classroom management skills so the kids are easy to control. And, no, we don't have a lot of parent volunteers. Parents are not allowed to volunteer in their child's classroom. They may volunteer anywhere else in the school, but their own class.

14. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jul 14, 2005

We won't get our list until the day before school starts. I think that I am going to have 20 (1st grade), but I won't know for sure until I get my list. It is so frustrating!

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

This past school year, I had 23 kids in my 2nd grade class. 8 of the wer special education (inclusion district). I do not know how many I will have in class or how many are classified... I even call over to speical services to ask for the list of kids I am going to have or at least know how many I will have this year. They won't tell me anything. I asked so that I can gather things and create modifications for children who are classified. Very stressful!!! :eek:

16. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 18, 2005

This past year in second grade I had 23 students the first day of school. 25 the second day. Highest count 28 it settled to 26. Usually, we had our lists at the end of the school year with additions at the beginning of school.

17. mitchfaw

mitchfaw New Member

Sep 21, 2005

Parent Volunteers in their child's class

Can you elaborate about the reasons why parents cannot volunteer in their own child's class? We're having an issue around this. Parents are insisting on being in their own child's class, but teachers feel it is inappropriate (I don't have a preference either way).