Class Library

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MountainLover, Jul 15, 2006.

1. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

What is a good starting out number of books to have in your class library? I am just trying to figure out how much more buying/looking I have to do.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

75 - 100 would be a good starting place. I have about 800 I would say, but that is a lot. They take up one entire wall of shelves.

4. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 15, 2006

Hit garage sales. I got TONS of young adult novels for 10 cents each! I mentioned that I was a teacher and they gave me tons more for free!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2006

I have too many ( I think I rank up there with Upsadaisy's #). But, all the books in the library are books I bought for kids so I am not stressed about them getting ruined. I am always buying books because they're so hard on them.

6. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I am CHEAP and take books from the school library and rotate them. I teach K, so we are really just looking at the pictures. The books they can read are mostly from a reading series we don't use anymore and those are in a separate basket.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

I started out with around 100 novels, but I get a few more every year. Now I have too many! I need to weed out the seldom read ones. I have close to 400. I don't really need that many considering my books are just "extras". We mostly use the library.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Around 100 like everyone said and another idea would be to put children's books on your "wish list" for your class. I did one year and got over 150 books from my classroom parents. I placed a label (very easily printed) inside the front cover saying that the books were donated by __________________ (student's name)

9. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I also have a ton of books in my classroom library- probably about 500-600 books total. You will get there too- don't worry. I am only going into my 4th year and already have a ton. Once you get hooked up through Scholastic books and get your kids purchasing some books you will gain a ton through points. You get points as the kids buy books- and then you turn in your points for books for your library.

Also, I visited libraries and got donations of some of their older books. They had a great collection of used books in good shape for dirt cheap (a box of about 50 for a couple of dollars). They had good titles that are a little older such as R.L. Stine, Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club and newer ones too! It was a great deal.

You can also make a classroom wish list at the beginning of the year to send to parents. I keep one on my website with special titles I want to add to my library for the kids. Parents sent in books and gift certificates for me to get books. It works out great! :D

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

I guess it depends on how you are teaching reading. My kids read ONLY trade books (no basal) so a classroom with 100 books just wouldn't last me. I've never counted, but yes, my books take up A LOT of room- as they would have to with no basal series.... Reading is at the core of my program- woven across content areas...One entire wall (one floor to ceiling bookshelf and 3 waist high shelves under window) is my leveled fiction,author study, poetry books. Another set of 3 waist high shelves house the non-fiction.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Mine is set up about the same way, cza cza, and I have about the same number and sizes of shelves. I don't level my books, though. I separate out fantasy/science fiction, historical fiction, poetry, biographies, and pure fun (magic eye, Dorling Kindersly, drawing books, joke books, etc.). My non-fiction is separated into history, United States government, science/ecology, animals, and reference. I have plenty of atlases and geography reference materials. It does my heart good to look at that full wall!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

And how exciting for the kiddos (and their parents) to see how organized your library is and the wealth of literature the class will have available to them!! Truly a gift you are providing your class!!:love:

13. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

not sure if it has been said or not but the place I have gotton alot of books from is Amazon.com. I always get the used ones and alot of them are a penny or fifty cents. I like the fact they are used because it helps me not be so protective of the new books. As a first year teacher I am going to send home a letter the first week and ask parents if they have any books they are willing to donate to the class. I know there are plenty of parents out there that have them laying around and don't knwo what to do with them. I have a small library and I am also checking them out from the public library because I can't afford anymore right now. Those are some ideas that I am going to use to help me.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Awwww, cza cza, I sure hope so.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I think my reading teacher in college said to start with at least 10 books per student, so for my class my first year, that would have been 180.

However, as the students get older, you have to try for books in different genres to really get them engaged in the reading process. I admit I'm like Upsadaisy and the others with a lot... I think I have 700 or 800. However, it wasn't hard to get them because I bought them at Goodwill, secondhand stores, and even sometimes the bookstore if they were really important to have.

I agree, parents really enjoy seeing you have a lot of books for their children to read, too; I hope so. :)

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

I am addicted to searching for them and really enjoy the hunt.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I started very small-maybe 25 books-and added titles over time using book club points, donations (our library sometimes has parents who clean out the closets and give the books to the school, books we already have or don't want), garage sales, and goodwill purchases. I am up near 500 now.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2006

I think mine spawn or something when I'm not around.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

HAHAHA! That is so funny! I'm in the same boat 'daisy!

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I do garage sales and flea markets too. I started off with around 100, and in the last two years I've got about 3,000. Of course, books are my weakness. I can't go in a bookstore without buying at least 2 or more. I also am addicted to Scholastic. I just can't help it.

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

I am envious of Miss W right now... I can just see my kids faces if they walked into a 3000 book library in our classroom. They get excited enough over the 500-600 that we have. I agree with you though Upsadaisy... they multiply when I am not looking. I went in to work on my room the other day before all of the meetings start and was absolutely amazed at the mess that greeted me where my reading corner is going to be. They had moved things, cleaned my carpet and just piled the books in the middle of the reading corner rug. I am going tomorrow to try and sort out the mess. I am trying to figure out why they took them out of the tubs :confused: I had them pretty well divided still had a little leveling to do but was much further than they are now.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Melissa- When I close up my room for summer each year I put each bin of books into a plastic grocery bag (they usually fit snugly around basket but some baskets I have are larger so I use dept store bags then) and then tie the bag shut tight around the basket. That way if the bookshlef tips when they are moving and cleaning at least all the books of a gnere/level/etc are with like books with the basket so labeled. It's so much better than having to re-sort every August!!

23. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

I find quite a few books at second hand book stores - the ones that you can earn credit by bringing in used books. You can get books for half price and if you have any credit built up, you can use that too. I have spent about 30 bucks before and have got around 20 books. They have quite a selection, too.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 18, 2006

When I buy books, I don't worry if I have them already. There are a few (not many) that I have 2 or 3 copies of. That's okay. I don't feel bad about getting rid of ones that I can't repair if I have a 2nd copy.