Class jobs for kindergarteners??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Teacher13, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

What class jobs do you have? How do you organize/ rotate jobs? Any pics of the job boards? Cant seem to fine an easy way to organize it! Thanks

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2006

I put all of my students names on rings, alphabetical order. I have one student helper for the day. They help me with daily things such as calendar, line leader, putting materials on tables and putting them away, etc. Makes it very simple and easy. Also, by the end of the year, they notice it's in abc order and they try to hypothesize who is the next helper.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 22, 2006

I just made my job chart today. I made 9 jobs, line leader, caboose, chair fairy, weather man, calender, counter, attendance, door holder, and vacation. I have each student have a number and just put their number under the job (this hopefully will work well for am/pm class) and I will rotate a new number through all the jobs and take one number out. This way they all get a new job and do it all. Hopefully, this will work. We will see soon right?

5. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Do you rotate weekly?? Do you let kids pick their jobs or rotate through the class list?

6. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I let my kids pick their jobs on Mondays and they kept those jobs for a week. I have a job system that I really like, you are welcome to email me for the website. It has a lot of neat jobs that are a little different from the standard door holder, line leader, etc.

7. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Hi! I'm still creating my jobs, but once I have a class list I will just go down the class list. I keep track by using this class list page from Mailbox. Each time I change the jobs I check off for the students who have it. That way each student gets a chance to have a job. The jobs I'll most likely have are: line leader, teacher asst., equipment manager, etc.

8. sdhamilton

sdhamilton Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I have:

Library (takes books to the Library)
    Boy Leader
    Girl Leader
    Lunch Clips (move clips back after choosing lunch)
    Morning Meeting Helper
    Office (takes papers to the office)

I use those cool little Magnet People and have cards with each child's name. I randomly rotate these around so that each child has a job within 3 days.

Hope this helps!

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2006

I've run the gamut from no class jobs to everyone has a job. I often don't have any jobs and then doing tasks becomes a privilege or an outlet for someone who needs to get up and move. Or sometimes I just have a line leader and the children rotate through that job. Last year everyone had a job. I just printed a list of jobs with picture icons (Microsoft Word clipart) next to them and laminated it with a posterboard backing. I wrote each child's name on a clothespin. I clipped the clothespins next to the name of each job. At the beginning of each week I rotated each clothespin down one space. Students understood the rotation and could see how long until it would be their turn.

Some jobs I had two of so they completed the job in pairs. Some of my jobs were (I'm sure I'll forget some):

Line leader
    paper passer (2)
    glue passer
    scissor passer
    librarian (organized class library)
    chair stacker (2)
    floors (cleaned up at end of the day) (2)
    table washers (also done at the end of the day) (2)
    substitute (covered for absent students or students who had lost job privileges) (2)
    vacation (no job for the week!)
    soap carrier (we carried our own soap down to the bathroom - before I created this job I always forgot it!)
    attendance
    lunch count

Eek! That's all I can remember right now!