Class jobs for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Ellensmom, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Does anyone use class jobs for 5th grade? I was wondering if it is to young for them. My previous third graders loved it, but I don't know how "COOL" 5th graders would feel.

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

I had jobs. I'm not sure my 5th graders loved them per se, but there were several kids who got upset when it wasn't their turn for a job. The jobs I had were: personal assistant (a catch-all job, really), attendance taker, trash, chairs (putting up and taking down chairs in the am and at dismissal), librarian (in charge of keeping it relatively neat), emergency person (they helped me carry out the procedures for a code 300 - intruder on grounds), and bathroom monitors.

4. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I would probably have lunch counter, trash, substitute, assistant, and librarian. I don't know if I would really need anymore.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

I do jobs with my kids, and they seem to love helping. I call them Helpers and every week two students are the Helpers for the week. They do everything that I need help with. They seem to enjoy doing it that way, and it is so much easier for me instead of having to try to remember who's in charge of what. Plus, the assigning of the jobs and making it fair was always such a headache for me. :)

It also makes it easier for other teachers who come into the room, subs, or guests. I have a Smilie Poster and each week the Helpers write their names on there with a Vis-a-Vis wipe off marker. All they have to do is glance at the poster when they are in need of a helper, and subs know right away who they can ask about procedures and such without having everyone trying to help at once. :)

I figure out a schedule for the whole year and post it beside the Smilie poster. The kids seem to like knowing when their turn will be coming up and sometimes even switch weeks, if they know they are going to be gone the week of their turn. It has really worked out well for me. :)

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

I tried to this past year, but it got tiresome filling out the chart. So now I train two people to take lunch count and they do it until they get tired of it.

The car riders leave on the first bell, and the bus riders on the third bell, so all my bus riders stack the chairs, wipe down the board, and pick up anything on the floor. I usually reward them with a small piece of candy. I wipe down the tables myself at the end of the day.

No one seems to care who is first in line. (Thank goodness!)

If I have a special job, I pull a stick from a jar called "Pick a Name", and that person does it.

It's just so much easier for me.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

I have jobs for my sixth graders. Honestly, it's the stuff I don't really want to do-or have time for. This last year, because of my space theme, I had all jobs named as a position in NASA. For example, flight control monitored all other jobs, INCO/EVA (extravehicular activities) got to line up everyone for lunch (surprisingly, this was a HUGE deal for my 6th graders-they have to sit in the order they come down to the lunchroom, so the proper order was crucial), CATO (communications and tracking officer) did attendance. You get the idea.

One thing I will do differently is in the past I have changed jobs daily, but I am going to keep them the same for at least a week. Otherwise they forget to do jobs.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

I can't remember all of my jobs now, but some were cleaning off the counters, picking up trash, dusting the computers, write the date on the board, trivia answer, turn on/off computers and get them logged on for the day, hand out papers at the end of the day, etc. You know, all those things that need to be done daily, but I don't have time for always!

9. mrshparker

mrshparker Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Love to Teach, I love your idea of premaking a schedule and having a poster. I had all these jobs last year. I would rotate the kids every week but then I got tired of rotating so I did it biweekly. It got really inconsistant. I may have to borrow this with honor from you! LOL!

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I have jobs, but they don't really get done unless I remind, remind, remind them. There have been a couple of years I didn't have them just because I didn't want to fight that battle. Those years I did what Shouldbeasleep said; I just picked people randomly to do what needed done. Some years though, the kids have asked for jobs. I guess it just depends on the group.

11. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

We make jobs work by giving them play money salaries, then a quarterly opportunity to produce, sell, and buy crafts and nik-naks that they make themselves. Fine them and take away money for behavior issues, missing or abusing materials, being disrespectful...

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

mrshparker, one of my jobs is to do the rotating. That way I don't have to mess with it. I have a list of all the jobs, then clothespins with the kids' names on them. The clothespin goes next to the job, then gets moved down when time for rotating (hope that makes sense)

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I have used jobs in every grade K-6 with great success. I also match them to my theme -- this year spies/detectives. Cool names, clearly defined jobs, payment in the system (this year clues and assets) all contribute to a successful program. (Bi weekly is good, weekly is good, anything shorter is a pain and anything longer is drudgery) .

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

My 6th graders still loved the jobs, as a matter of fact it was great to hold over them for behavior. Trouble makers don't get picked for jobs. My jobs were...
    1. Paper pass out
    2. Paper collector
    3. Computer Tech (turned on/ shut down all student computers)
    4. Behavior Chart (moving magnets)
    5. Homework Chart (filling in assignments on back board)
    6. Phone
    7. Library
    8. Door
    9. Runner

15. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

Borrow away! I am sure that someone else probably shared it first with me! :) It has worked well with my kids and is so much easiser for me.

The only job that they sometimes do not like doing for the whole week is being a lunchroom helper because they need to stay in middle recess that day to make sure they are on time. :) So, I do give them the option of drawing someone else's clothespin name and asking them if they want to cover lunch up for two of the days.

On Fridays, I have the two helpers stand up and I let them know what a great help they have been and how I couldn't do without them (and I couldn't!), and then we all clap for them. They seem to appreciate knowing how much we value their service. :)

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

Is it a lot of bookkeeping? I have often been tempted to do a classroom econmics, but have hesitated for that reason. :)

17. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

Cute ideas, Joyful!! :) Last year, I was thinking of doing a detective theme and collected some sites and ideas. Don't know if they would be helpful to you or not, but I could PM you a list of links and such, if you would like. :)

18. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I teach a combination class that includes 5th graders. They are excited to find out who the helpers will be for the week. I create a jobs themed board based on what I am teaching or the season.

Some of the jobs that I have are: absent buddy, pencils, folder person, chalkboard cleaner, white board cleaner, messenger---just to name a few. As with most things, they do tend to have a favorite job, but this is a good way to teach them to try new things, and they can't always get what they want.

19. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

That would be so great! I have found a site where you can get a false identity (for play, not for real ). If you ever decide to go with the detective theme I will share as well. :cool:

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

I've found that once you trained the first group, they will train the next one that will take over. In some instances, they negotiate with each other if they want to keep a job. I just let them work it out. It's one thing I don't micromanage.

21. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Here are the jobs I had in my classroom this past year (they rotated weekly):

* Colorguard (5th grade is in charge of raising/lowering flags at my school)
    * Door Holder
    * Equipment Manager (takes recess equipment outside)
    * Bathroom Monitors
    * Milk & Condiment Server (students help with these at lunch)
    * Lunch Cleanup (our school has students clean up lunch areas before leaving)
    * Librarian (for classroom library)
    * Aquarium Assistant
    * Substitute (fills in for absent students who have a job and also does jobs that come up but don't apply to the others

Next year I am planning on adding paper passers.