class helpers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by nascarkat, Aug 14, 2005.

1. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 14, 2005

I know I've seen this on the board, but I'm having a hard time finding it. What type of classroom helpers do you use? I'm teaching 2nd grade and I need some ideas. Any suggestions?

3. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

When I taught 2nd grade I had: line leader, middle line leader (both of these jobs were to keep the line straight and quiet in the hall), librarian (take returned books to library), calender, (they read the day, month, year, and weather for each day), mail papers back (they mailed homework back in student's specific mailboxes). I hope this gives you a few ideas.

4. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

I teach Kindergarten, but many of these jobs would still be okay for second graders. I give each one of my students a job every week. I will attach a copy of the labels I use. I will try to take a picture this week of my Happy Helpers set up. It's simple. I use the gingham library pockets. I printed out the following labels and attached them to a solid colored piece of construction paper and then attached them to the library pocket. I laminated each of mine, too. I attach each child's picture to a popsicle stick and put it in the pocket. I like to keep the job names stationary and move the children's sticks because not all of my Kinders can read the job names from the beginning, but they memorize their order.

5. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for the labels, Lanie. Thanks, Daisy, for the ideas! Both are helpful!
    Kathy

6. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 15, 2005

Here is a list of other jobs I have in my room (I have enough for every student and we rotate weekly), maybe you could use some of them or maybe they will jump start some ideas for you...

2 - table washers (ours are for lunch, but you could have them clean desks)
    2 - floor sweepers (same as above)
    2 - door holders
    caboose
    line leader
    lights (turns on/off lights as we enter/leave the room)
    tv helper (turns on/off tv for AM announcements)
    2 - housekeepers (make sure room is neat at end of day)
    2 - dusters (dust off computers, tv, bookcases, etc 1-2 times a week at end of day)
    2 - messengers (take notes, run "errands", take attendance to office, etc)
    2 - paper passers
    2-3 substitutes (listed as #1, #2, #3 and they take jobs in that order)
    2 - lunch monitors (remind students when to whisper)

I hope this helps.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 15, 2005

I have a student of the week (line leader, calendar), Classroom Messenger1 & 2 (take and recieve notes to office), Supplies (passes out supplies), Helper (also passes out supplies), Computers (turns on & off the computers), Trash/Duster (makes sure our room is nice and neat before we leave), and Greeter (opens the door and greats guests-we're outside and keep our doors locked).