Class Dojo

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 10, 2015.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 10, 2015

This tool seems so cool and I'm thinking about trying it this year. I might implement it into a point system...like if you earn 5 points on it, you get to pick a prize of that value, etc.

But I'm wondering one thing. Is there a way I can clear those points? Say John has 8 points and decides to use points to get a 5 point notebook, leaving him with 3. Is there a way to adjust those points? I hope so!

3. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

The teacher I worked with last year had a -5 points that was labeled 'cash-in' so that even though parents were seeing the loss of points they knew it wasn't for a negative behavior.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2015

You can reset points. Then you can run reports for specific dates if you need information later on (after you've cleared).

I, personally, would not do a negative cash-in. I really pushed percentages with my kiddos and their parents. I would run quarterly reports and send them home with report cards. Taking points away to 'cash-in' will hurt the percentage.

To give you something to think about:
    I usually relied on the 'random' button. I felt this was the most accurate assessment of behavior. When I taught 3rd, I would give them rewards based on their weekly percentage. 70%, 80%, 90%, and a very rare 100% all earned a different level of reward. I also rewarded kids with a 'movie lunch' in the classroom every time they earned 100 positive points.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2015

You can clear points, but I don't think you can clear only a certain number... I'm pretty sure it's all or none, unless you take negative points. I wouldn't do that, though, for the same reason as giraffe.

6. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 10, 2015

I just give mine a recording sheet. On Fridays they could see how many points they earned and then record it on their sheet. If the used points they wrote that number in the deductions column. They could keep a running record week to week.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2015

Unless they've updated, you cannot.

You can clear just one student's points. That is what I was thinking- clear that student as soon as they hit five. Write down their name or whatever to reward them later.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 10, 2015

Love class dojo and will use it in a better manner this year. I would clear mine of points after a couple of weeks. I would set standards such as in a couple of weeks students are expected to make at least 'x' amount of points such as 8 points in 10 days. If they accomplished at least the minimum then they would be eligible for a reward. We would then reset and start over for the next few weeks cycle.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 11, 2015

You can use Class Dojo in so many ways :) I even used it in high school with a lot of success.
    You can clear a whole class, or just one student, but you clear all their points. So you either clear the points when they reached 5, or you use a negative point, such as 5 points Cash in, I actually don't see the problem with that. It does mess up the overall report of the student, but do you actually use the report?

10. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 11, 2015

Thanks so much for the replies! I'll have to play with it and get more familiar with it. It sounds like the easiest thing to do is create a "Cash in" option to deduct points. I wouldn't be using the report part so I don't care much about the percentage.

On another note though, I'm reading a lot of reviews about it and I'm finding a lot of PARENTS aren't fond of this tool. Some reasons are because it's public for the rest of the students to see and it hurts their child's confidence if they don't have a lot of points or receive negative feedback. So now I'm on the fence about it..lol.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2015

It is only public if you display it. I never did because it isn't anyone's business. I would display the overall class percentage.

As I said before, I used the random button. During arrival, morning work, transitions, walking in the hall, etc... My goal was always 70% or higher. I had discussions with my students to explain what the percentage means- if your name comes up 10 times and you are on-task 7 of them, I consider that acceptable. I consider 8 pretty good and 9 really good. I would explain that 100% is rare. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone gets distracted. It is OK.
    I also explained to my students' parents and they understood what I was looking for and most of them liked it. I did have a few that would freak out over every single negative point, but over time, they caught on to my goals for the class. I usually averaged 150-250 points per day using the random button (for the whole class), so most parents were pleased since it gave them a true picture of their child's behavior.
    My biggest issue was that the parents of students with lower averages never would look at the reports- even with phone calls and letters home. I usually made a parent contact if their percentage was less than 50%.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2015

I don't make it public.

I do not believe in behavior management until there is a need. Last year I used Class Dojo in late October to reward being on task and using Daily 5 correctly. In February I used it for solving their own problems. I never took points away.

13. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 11, 2015

You have to think about it this way though: If you're using a clip chart or similar behavior system, the other students can see that, so it's just as 'public' as Class Dojo points if you display them.