Class Dojo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mommytotmn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Mar 27, 2015

I am thinking of introducing Class Dojo to my students. I thought it would be neat to try it out for the last quarter this year and possibly use it from the beginning next year if it works for me. Anyone use it and how do you like it? How do you set up rewards? I teach first grade.

3. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Mar 27, 2015

I started it in January with my Kinders and I really like it. We discussed what would gain/lose points as a class and thought of rewards they would like. My rewards range from show-and-tell, writing with a pen, choosing our brain break, leading calendar, stickers/stamps, and the big prize they are all working towards: lunch with a teacher.

I initially tried to keep up with the rewards as they earned them but I was having some difficulty with it so every two weeks I tell them their point total and then let them choose when they want to get their reward.

My favorite part of the Class Dojo is the parent interaction/contact. I've had more conversations with parents in the last month than I did all of the first semester. It's really easy to send a message to parents without wasting time looking for a phone number or trying to convince them to come in. And they love that I can send pictures of their kiddo working throughout the day.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2015

I love love love ClassDojo. I have used it for several years now. I love the new parent messaging system. To be honest I am not one for giving students a reward for doing what they are supposed to be doing anyway. (following the rules and being good) So that being said I do take the top boy and girl from each week and put them in a school wide drawing at the end of the 6 weeks. I also let who has the highest total pick our next monster on GoNoodle.com (brain break videos) if you don't used it check it out. i keep it up and going all day. I also have it one my phone so I can use it when not in the classroom if i needed to. I teach kinder now but used it when I taught first grade.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 29, 2015

I didn't like it. i found it too inconsistent to apply the positive and negative marks. Took too much time and effort, never felt like I was consistently getting the points to the students accurately.

6. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Mar 29, 2015

I started using it a few months ago as a replacement for positive reward tickets that I handed out to students in my class. It has worked much better than I expected. I tell students each time why I am giving them a ticket and then they hear the positive sound of getting a ticket. My students really like it. I teach in a middle school self contained behavior classroom.

7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Mar 30, 2015

I teach ESL 1st grade to students with extremely low levels of English, so it works great with me. I correlate it with their sticker behavior charts. If the have positive points at the end of class (they only see me four times a week) they get one sticker for their chart. If they receive ten points they get two stickers. If they have negative points they don't get a sticker at the end of the class. I really like it because my kids need instant feedback with visuals. It's also great because I downloaded the app on my Ipad and am able to walk around the room and use proximity control while giving feedback on Dojo.

I used it a few years ago when I taught 7th grade. I didn't use it for my English classes, just for my dreaded study hall period (of 50 minutes). The kids loved it and I didn't even use a reward system. I think I let kids go a minute early from class if they had the most points, but it was great to help kids stay motivated to do their homework and not screw around all study hall.

I hope you have fun with it! Try it out. Worst case, you can stop using it.

8. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 30, 2015

I just started using it last week. I teach kindergarten and, like you, wanted to try it with this class to see if it would be something I would want to implement at the beginning of next year with my students. So far the kids are really enjoying it and it seems to be helping. I am still debating giving rewards. If I do, it will be similar to MissyB's, show and tell, write with a pen, lunch with the teacher, etc.

9. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Apr 1, 2015

I really like Class Dojo. I used it with my fifth graders, periodically pulled it up on the smart board so they could see their points. We also did treats at the end of each week for those with the highest points. My favorite part about it is that the sounds of points being added and taken away helped my students to regulate their behavior themselves ("ooh I hear Ms. Allaphorisitic taking points away so we must be doing something wrong. Let's talk more quietly, sit down, etc.")

10. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 1, 2015

It is a life saver for me. I keep it up constantly on the smartboard and if the kids know I'm giving or taking away points, they instantly get busy and do what they need to do. I reset points daily, do top student of the day who gets to choose from the treasure box and lunch bunch on Fridays if they have a weekly average of 90% or higher. The kids really like it too.

11. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Apr 4, 2015

I often tell new students that Class Dojo runs our class. I use it for attendance, timers, random student picker, homework points, walking points, team work points, and the list goes on. My kids LOVE IT. I teach third grade, and have seen it used for younger kids and older. During student teaching in first grade my mentor teacher used it for a day-to-day points. Earn 15 points by the end of the day and you get a treat. Pretty simple.

I use it as a whole class behavior incentive. I usually go by the day before a big holiday break. So for example, if by the day before October Break the entire class has earned 500 Dojo points then they win a movie party with snacks. I have amped up the points each time, and each time even my most behaviorally challenged kiddos have stepped up to the plate, not wanting to be the one to not earn the party for the class.

I always have it up and on my phone as well. My class is consistently the most well behaved during assemblies and school functions because they know I am secretly giving points.

IT'S AWESOME!!! AND FREE!!