Class Dojo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jul 12, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I was informed that the Kindergarten teachers at my school used Class Dojo and that it would be wise for me to stick to the same system. Is it an effective classroom management tool? Would it be worth my time to set up an account for my new classes? I'm slowly started to feel like I might be overwhelmed with all of the new procedures and little management systems I already have to do. ( School wide incentives, school wide clip charts, school wide CHAMPS, etc...)

:|

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 12, 2014

That just sounds like a lot of management systems. I don't understand the point of having so many.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

I have used it with both Kinder and 1st and thought it only worked for a short time before they got bored with it. Honestly, the same kids keep getting the higher number of points so the ones it is harder for get frustrated. There is a component where parents can check in and see points, although I never used that because I thought there would be a lot of questions-why did he lose a point here, etc. Maybe that would help boost their enthusiasm about it a little more, I don't know.

5. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 12, 2014

I tired it and didn't like it at all in first grade. I felt I was too tied to the computer/iPad and the sounds were getting annoying. I went back to the behavior chart with the clips and used that the whole time I was there. Loved it and it was perfect for my class.

In your case, I would try it out and use it since everyone else is. You can stick with it or stop it and explain to your team why.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

I use Class Dojo, and I do like it. I think the first thing you should do is go to Class Dojo and decide for yourself if there is a simple way you would like to do this.

I agree that you want to keep your classroom management system simple. This is true in all grades, but especially in K and 1st.

I don't agree at all that because your colleagues are doing something that you must do it. It is nice that they share their ideas, but insisting you do the same things is wrong. You have to decide to do what is best for your classroom.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 12, 2014

I use Class Dojo toward the end of the year when I need something new. I've debated using it year round but I don't want to lose it's effectiveness.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

You could easily come up with a way to integrate Class Dojo with another system. It's very user friendly and easy to customize. Example- lost a point if you move your clip down, gain a point if you move your clip up. I like it because it keeps behavior data for me and it also automatically emails a weekly report to parents. They also added a new feature for you to communicate directly with parents- like text messaging without exchanging numbers. It emails you when you have a message. So convenient!

9. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I echo the sentiment that you do not have to do what your co-workers are doing and it sounds like there are a lot of 'systems' in place. Makes me wonder why the teachers feel like they need all that.

This won't be a popular opinion in the era of cute behavior charts and reward systems found on Pinterest but I whole heartedly agree with this blog post: Thinking about Class Dojo...why not just tase your kids instead? (dramatic title I know but she has very valid points)

http://www.teachingace.com/thinking-about-classroom-dojo-why-not-just-tase-your-kids-instead/

She puts my thoughts into writing much more eloquently than I can!

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

:agreed::thumb::thumb:

This is a great way to implement Class Dojo--especially your first year. You may want to try implementing it only between Thanksgiving and Christmas and let the students know this is only for those 3 weeks.

Then try it for the last 3 weeks of school again. These two 3 week parts of the year are the hardest for students to focus and Class Dojo can be really helpful then.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

I use it. This past year I set up for individuals and my tables. It worked well for tables all year long. For individuals it worked ok. The problem with classdojo as I see it, is for those whose parents would log in I saw a huge difference in behaviors almost over night. Especially if it was a good kid having a bad day. Now for those parents who didn't log in, couldn't log in I saw no change in behaviors. I think any management program you use is going to be only as effective as the parents allow it to be.

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 13, 2014

I used Class Dojo with my students the past two years. I divide my class into four "houses" and their Class Dojo points are totaled for each house at the end of the month to determine which house receives a reward.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2014

How very Harry Potter of you. ;)

14. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 13, 2014

I have never read/seen a Harry Potter movie, but have been told the same thing! I actually visited the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta and adapted the idea from there.