Class Dojo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bobby, Feb 19, 2013.

1. bobby

bobby Rookie

Feb 19, 2013

Anyone who uses Class Dojo....any tips or good ideas? I know a lot of teachers use it and like it (keeps track of student behavior via avatar and point system).
    I'd like to try it out, but am not sure how to handle rewarding students. Should I use the behavior points in a weekly store where they use their points as currency? I think it's a great way to keep track of behaviors and rewarding students, I would just like to go about it in an easy and productive manner!

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2013

The problem with using the points as currency, is that you can't reset a student's score... so you would have to dock points from them for being off task, or talking out or something...

I just decide at the end of the week that anyone over a certain number gets a small prize. I change the number, mostly because some days I use it more frequently than others.

4. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Feb 19, 2013

I love Class Dojo, even at the high school level. When I first start using it, the students have to reach a certain number of points (in my case 15, but other teachers I know set it higher because they give points more frequently) to get their "secret code" in order to make their own monster. That's a great motivator for initial buy in.

After that I do Monsters of the Week for whomever had the most points that week. For my class 1st place gets 3 pieces of candy, 2nd place gets 2 pieces and 3rd place gets one piece. You could easily adapt that for raffle tickets, class store currency etc.

I also tell the kids their their percentage of positive behavior in Dojo will be their behavior grade on report cards, even though I don't really use it for that : p

I have threatened to send the Dojo reports home to curb bad behavior as well.

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 19, 2013

My 8th graders LOVE Dojo. They beg me to do it every.single.day. That's a little too much for me, so I usually limit it to once a week, usually while they do group work. I just observe them working in groups and award points to students that I see are on task. I very rarely give negative points...I just don't award that student and move on to someone who is on task.

The top 5 kids with the highest number of points gets candy. They like the competition more than anything. When my co-teacher and I first started using it, we were literally dumbfounded at how well it worked. Just throw some weird looking monsters on the board, give 'em points and they're on task, discussing and actually WORKING in the way that we've always dreamed that group work would run! It's funny how something so small can make such a big difference!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 19, 2013

Oh we ditched the monsters and put our PHOTOS up. It is legendary. I use it daily, but not as often as the beginning of the year. I am at 87% positive reinforcement for the year....3,336 "good" clicks, 493 "bad" clicks. :lol: Points reset weekly. Top 3 winners get their names on a winner board. First place gets a dress down pass.

I also randomly do little rewards for overall percentage. Like I might just decide at lunch that everyone over 90% positive gets a lollipop. This is very rare, but fun. They never know when I'm going to surprise them, and they're SO salty if they don't qualify.

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Feb 20, 2013

I love it, but I have been inconsistent. I think it works great. I normally give them something from the store that we have here. They enjoy that.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Feb 22, 2013

Does the system notify you when the emails are sent to parents?

9. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

Mar 1, 2013

I have been using it for the pass month and love it as well! I'm a K-6 resource teacher, and so far it has been a huge help with my behaviorally challenging 6th grade class. I'm also using it with 4th and 5th, and will start with 3rd on Monday.

Rewards: 20 positives earns them their "secret code" to change their monster and setup their account
    80% positive for the whole month earns them into a reward party at the end of the month. (which is basically 20 minutes of snacks, music, and playing some math games)

I try to give way more positives, but I do give negatives for "off task" after I've given a warning and for no homework or agenda.

Sometimes the kids nag for points, and it gets a bit annoying if I can't get over to my computer, but the benefits outweigh that. I'd LOVE if I could have internet connection on my ipad and use it that way.

We had our reward party today and only 2 kids didn't make it in. (The are often off task, complain, and don't do their work). They were really upset, but they are motivated by it to complete their work most days. Maybe next month they'll get in!

I like the idea of a "Monster of the Week" and resetting points each Friday. I want to try that! I have a feeling it would be the same kiddos every week, though.

10. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Mar 4, 2013

I try to tweak the points I give so it doesn't end up as the same kids each week, but it is hard. Occasionally I go not by highest points but by percentage positive, most volunteering or most improvement etc to get some of the other kids in there.

11. Krista78

Krista78 Guest

Aug 19, 2017

Ive taught in div one for most of my teaching career. I love class dojo. My only issue with it is deciding when to award points. I find adding points throughout the day bothersome and it interrupts. Does anybody have a suggestion for when to award them. Maybe a certain designated time before lunch and a certain designated time before the end of the day. I would have to keep a record if I was going to award them at a certain time in the day. All suggestions are welcome.
    Krista78

12. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Aug 19, 2017

This won't work for everyone, but my dojo points are tied to my clip chart. After school, I award dojo points for every rung a student moved up on the clip chart. I also give out random ones occasionally in the hallway, etc. Dojo is my main form of communication with parents so the parents see the points most days. Also, whenever students reach a multiple of 15pts they choose a prize such as sitting in the teacher's desk or bringing in a stuffed animal to school. It seems complicated, but worked for me.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

:eek: Points and clip charts?!?! :(

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2017

I would first think: what is my behavior management going to look like? What do I expect from the students, and what consequences will exist if they don't follow those expectations?

While I'm personally against these heavily extrinsically-motivated behavior systems, and our school does not allow the use of Class Dojo, if you're going to use it, ask yourself what you want the rewards to accomplish, what kind of time you want to invest into it (in terms of instructional time), and how complicated you want it to get.