Class Dojo in middle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 19, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2014

Anyone use it with 6th or even older? Do the parents buy in? Kids?
    I need to find something that works!!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 19, 2014

Definitely! I used it last year for 1 class who were very immature and had rough days, they were 9-10 graders. I only used it for classroom management

This year I use it in 3 English classes, for academic purposes mostly, but do use it a little for classroom management. They're grade 9-12 and it works great. They love it.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 19, 2014

My whole 7th grade team is using it! They dig it. We also got a few 6th and 8th grade teachers on board. It really took off when it was a schoolwide thing.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2014

Do you give any rewards? If so, what?

We have positive behavior 'bucks' that can be redeemed, but we are a K-6 school and the prizes are things like bouncy balls. My kids have never said anything, but I think that they likely find the prizes lame.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 20, 2014

I recently subbed for 8 periods of 7th grade math...they were all disappointed that I wouldn't be giving them dojo points that day, lol.

7. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

I'm using it in 7th grade and for classroom management. This is my first time using it so sometimes I forget to give points. But there are students who ask me can they help me with things around the class to earn points, which did not happen much last year.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 20, 2014

Different teachers do different things with the points. Honestly, we made a school store (also with things like bouncy balls) and it was mostly K-4 motivated by those prizes. The old kids wanted dumb things like sitting in their teacher's chair. :lol: The store currency is our school bucks, so some teachers make a system with Dojo that goes with that. (Ex: 30 points=3 bucks.)

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2014

I set up my classes today. We have school bucks, too. I'm thinking for 1st quarter that I will give them a buck for every day they end up with at least one point. I want to have a semi-high success rate at first. MOST of my kids are good and their worst offense is being chatty. Unfortunately, I have several really, really 'bad' kids that bring the whole class down- in both rooms.

(My homeroom I have one child who is an extreme behavior problem. I have about 3 more that are also behavior issues. The other homeroom has 4 with extreme behavior, and another 3-4 with really bad behavior.)

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

You just have to make the points worth something tangible, that's all.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 21, 2014

I will say....we operated last year with 80% of our kids or so doing the right thing. Another 20% were "behavior problems" with various levels of issues. After we implemented Dojo, we've gotten about 15% of those kids under control. This allowed us to really target the other 5% with meaningful plans, behavior contracts, wraparound services, etc.

It is so nice to not be running around and putting out fires all the time. I am able to run a check in/check out system for just the kids who really need it.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2014

We are starting a check in/check out system. I filled out paperwork for 4 kids on Thursday.

I'm hoping something will work. If not I'm in for a really long year!

(166 days left, 31 until our first 'day off', and 46 until Thanksgiving. Not that I'm counting or anything.)

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 21, 2014

I've been using a system called ClassCharts. I really like the features they have, and it seems a little less elem-focused, and more general.

However I'm not too happy with some ease of use issues, and the fact that it's a web-based application, while it makes it easy to use on anything, means that its speed is based completely on our wifi which is slow. They're coming out with an offline app though.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 21, 2014

This will help. I have kids check in daily for weekly depending on the case. We spread them out among willing adults. The daily kids come before school, before lunch, and after school with basically a behavior chart that each period has to sign. (0-3 for each goal.) Then, issues are discussed. The adult also checks homework completion, agenda usage, etc.

It's really important that this adult is NOT the child's teacher. We found teachers...um...impatient with the difficult students they see regularly. :haha: Also, I think it sends a great message that the school community is behind you, not just your teachers.

Besides Dojo, we have also implemented Second Step for 6th-8th grade. They get it once or twice a week....really explicit social/emotional focus. Teams have been asked to carry the theme of the week (Ex: Empathy) into all subjects, but I don't know if that's really happening. I'm not sure which of these initiatives has had the biggest impact....maybe a little bit of everything.

Could your classes do something like a 10 minute morning meeting/community meeting?