"Class Dojo" anybody?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jyusae, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Should I give it a try?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2013.
  1. No way!

30.0%
  2. Definitely!

70.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never heard of it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jyusae

jyusae Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

Hi all!

I've heard great things about CLASS DOJO and how teachers can monitor student behavior and participation, while students and parents can have access to see their progress (at home).
    Therefore, I was thinking of trying it out this upcoming school year.

- Has anyone ever tried using Class Dojo for 7th/8th Grade?
    - If so, how were the results like?
    - Is this program better for younger grade levels instead?

Thanks!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

I used it last year with my 7th graders. The kids were really into it at first. Then they got bored with caring how they did. It was hard for me to keep up with it due to intermittent wireless connection issues.

Not for me.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I picked "No way!" but I would have preferred to pick "Probably not". I don't trust my own organizational skills enough to be able to keep up with this system. I wouldn't completely rule it out, though, especially if I saw it implemented successfully in my school by other teachers.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 29, 2013

:agreed:

I have watched videos about this system, and I definitely know that I wouldn't be able to keep up with it in the midst of teaching every day.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I loved it for about 3 weeks. I teach 6-8. My 6th graders were really excited about it just for having monsters. My 7th graders were excited about it only because they thought somehow it might convert into extra credit (I mentioned it as a maybe after a hopeful student asked). One of my 8th graders asked after the introduction video for it, "What ages does this say it is for on the box?"

In the end I found it more troublesome than useful for me... but that's a personal thing. I just found that in some classes I was being more consistent with it and others I completely forgot about it. In the end I just quietly retired it and took down my posters that talked about it.

Some teachers -really- love it though. I would maybe just give it a shot and see what you think.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2013

All I use it for is full class behavior tracking for my class competitions. Tracking 150 kids was just way too much for me. I have trouble tracking that just on paper that is constantly right in front of me.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2013

I also had connectivity issues so I stopped using it. I didn't absolutely love it anyway.

9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 30, 2013

I use this for my study hall only. I don't use it for the classes I teach because I have a whole system set up based on time, and this would mess it up. I liked it in study hall because I don't teach, and the kids were pretty into it. I'd say it would be better for younger kids...7th grade is probably the highest grade to use it in.

10. vazqueja

vazqueja Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I used this for my 6th graders but not my 8th graders. The 6th graders loved the fact that they were able to be a "monster". It is time consuming which is why I only did it for 1 marking period.

At the end of the week, students with 100% for the whole week would recieve a sticker. At the end of the marking period those stickers were extra credit points. (1sticker = .5 pts) They loved the idea of the extra credit so they were into the DOJO thing and always asked about it!

But like I said and other said, very time consuming! so it's up to you, but I dont think the 8th graders would enjoy it as much.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2013

I used it for my 2nd graders.
    It isn't needed all day all year.
    I would just use it when I needed a little boost with discipline. Then I used it for a month or so.

I also use it when I need to document one child's behavior such as how many times did xxxx talk out in class.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

I used it in 6th and will use it again in 7th. Since we can share students now, we are looking into doing it across all 5 teachers.

I think it can be done at any age. It's all in how you sell it!