Class Dojo and rewards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 27, 2014

I've made a mistake and I need to fix it.

I set up a rewards system for my 2nd graders with prizes ranging from 5-200 points. With the exception of 'fancy pencil' all the prizes are free (like homework passes, 5 min extra recess with a buddy class, sit on a rolling chair, etc.) That's not the problem.

The problem is that I planned to keep the points all year and this isn't going to work. I have some students at 50 points and some at....3. :( The kids at 3 points are no longer motivated and I can't blame them.

How do I fix this? I think monthly or weekly might work better. I know some teachers reset points by day (I've done that as well.)

I'd like to know how you tie Dojo to rewards and the frequency that you reset. How would you handle the "I'm sorry you have 73 points but I'm resetting them and we're starting over" conversation? :confused:

Thanks for your input!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

I reset mine every week. Whoever is in the top 5 at the end of the week get to eat lunch with me outside. I do feel like it gives everyone an opportunity every week to be that person. There have been different kiddos each week.

I would just be honest and say I don't think the way we're doing it isn't working, so we're going to change it. I think it's early enough in the year that they would understand.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2014

Right now I am resetting them everyday. We have school dollars "PAWS- positive something something I can't remember". Because the behavior in my room is so incredibly bad, if they are in the positive, they earn a buck. After next week, it will have to be 60%.

I don't know how you do it, but I use the random button constantly. Before that was an option (years ago), I found myself only really looking for negative behavior. So the random button is my savior!

Then I look at percentages. In the past, 70% has always been the class goal. Kids with 80% and 90% have been rewarded.

Even if you reset the bubbles, they don't go away. You can go into reports and find out how many points they have year-to-date. I'd set up/keep a reward and change some of the rewards to weekly. This way you are not totally going back on your word.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 27, 2014

For 2nd grade, each week should be brand new. Otherwise those with tons of points can slide a bit on behavior and still get rewarded. Also, as you stated, some who are not being successful will give up.

Incentives can be tricky...and sometimes some adjustment is needed. For example, some tie it so much to normal "good" behavior that the quiet ones have an easy time getting rewarded, and the real active ones (often a few boys) never feel like they have a chance. To help this, I choose a way to get points as participating in class and other things that more active students can get extra points for.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

I reset them every week, but their points go for a participation grade every week.

I wouldn't do 5-200 points prizes, I would do 5-50. So a kid who has 5 points may cash it in for a prize (you reset his points), or wait for a 10 point prize, etc, up to 50.
    This way no one is really that far ahead, and the ones with 3 or 5 points are not that unmotivated.

I don't know how your kids earn the points, but you can maybe motivate the low point students to make it easy for them to earn a few more, to give them a little bit of success and get them on board again.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2014

I don't ever reset. For every 10 points kids get a dollar in classroom currency. They can either spent it right away on a prize or they can save the dollars up for bigger prizes. I have little library pockets on a board where we keep them with their names on them. Every Friday I read through the list of names of kids who have earned another dollar this week and they decide what they want to do. I simply keep a checklist on paper of which students have received their dollar for 10, 20, 30, 40, pts etc. Some students earn a dollar every week others earn it every other week or so. No one ever loses out on their dollar and everyone works at their own pace. It might sound complicated but it's really not.

I would also recommend assessing why some students have so few points when others have so many. What do they have to do to earn the points? Right now my students' points range from 9-21, so it's not too much of a difference.

8. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Oct 10, 2014

My Class Dojo is fairly simple. If every person in class reaches 500 points the whole class gets a movie party. I give positive rewards for EVERYTHING, so it is fairly simple for nearly every student to earn about 20-50 pts a day. I estimate it will take about 2 months to get to the movie party. The brilliant part is that it is a whole class effort to get to the movie party, so every students really tries hard to behave and to encourage others to behave.

Once the movie party happens (I'm really hoping it will happen by Halloween for them :]) then I will reset the bubbles and start over for another movie party.

Hope that helps ;]

When I did student teaching in 1st grade my mentor reset the bubbles everyday. You had to reach a certain pt number each day to get a treat at dismissal. Fairly simple.

9. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 10, 2014

When I did mine last year I kept them all year but did everything in increments of 5. So at 5 you would get this prize, at 10 you get this, and so on… It kept the kids going and allowed even those kids who had minimal points to work towards things constantly.

It worked well. :)

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014

You give 20-50 per student per day?! Isn't that time consuming? My students barely earn 20 in a week. I need to better about giving them out ah.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2014

I give 200-300 points out per class, per day. Which is 400-600 points per day. For 66 kids.

I don't exclusively give positive points. I used the random button to communicate to parents what their child's behavior is truly like.

My goal for the class is 70%. In the past, my classes were usually in the 65-80% range. Obviously individual students ranged from like 20-100.
    This year we're lucky if we crack 40%.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014

Wow that sounds like soooo many. Last year we were normally in the 80% range for positiveness. Now we're probably 90-95 or even above having the same kids for a second year.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2014

I mostly do it only have a transition. I will take a minute or so and keep hitting random and giving out points. If they get noisy in the middle of a lesson, I stop and pull out my phone or iPad and do it. Since they transition so many times per day (morning, special, switch, special, switch, remediation, switch, lunch, switch) it is easy to get in 20-40 during each transition.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014

I've been using Class Dojo for 3 years now.

First of all, if you remember nothing else, remember this: You are the lord, god, and master of class dojo points. You can manipulate them any way you wish.

I have mine weighted so that some things earn as little as one point, or as many as 5. My 5 pointer is called "general coolness" and is reserved for the times when a really good kid gets behind on points because I've been using one point awards to motivate the bottom feeders.

All of my negatives are one point except for one titled "nuclear option" which is loses a kid 5 points. I've never used it. But I do keep the kids on notice that I can.

Also, sound is key. The kids absolutely must hear the sound and see the name. Well, they must hear the sound. They can see the name if they want to see the name. I actually have fake classes where I freeze or turn off the projector and then use the fake class to generate the losing-point sound so the kids think someone is losing a point, they just don't know who. One of the fake students in the fake class has like -200 points right now.

I also have a separate class of my actual second graders called "North Korea." In North Korea, all the avatars are the same grey monster, and you can only lose points in North Korea. The only option to get a point is called "rehabilitated lost point" if I make a mistake. North Korea is not linked to their parents so I can take all the points I want for the most trivial reasons and the kids don't get in trouble unless I say they are in trouble.

I reset the bubbles a lot. More than once a day. That's because the kids know that resetting the bubbles just changes what's displayed - not their actual totals. A few times a day, I show them the report with the graph and everything so they can see their points and percentages. They are starting to understand that you can have a high percentage and low points or visa versa.

Lately, I've been experimenting with class goals - "If we get to 100 points by lunch time, we can sneak into the computer lab later." and so on.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2014

I also weigh points. "Working hard" is worth 3 points and only given when they are truly putting forth a lot of effort. "Good deed" is worth 5 points.

My negatives are weighted based on the biggest issues I have. Right now it is being out of their seat. It is worth -3. Being disrespectful is -3 as well. Earlier in the year they were constantly throwing paper in the trash can from afar. I made "throwing things" a 5 pointer and within a week it was nipped. It is now back to 1 point for occasional lapses. Cootie catchers and note passing is another former multi point offense.

16. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Oct 12, 2014

I keep class dojo very simple. Students have to earn ten points. Once they have ten they get a prize. I don't ward points for any and everything. I use the ram don button 3 times a day. Students can earn points as a class if they get a compliment, or no one gets in trouble during support class or lunch.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014

How do you go in and weigh points? Always wanted to do that.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 13, 2014

I'm wondering the same thing. Or do you take 5 points by clicking 5 times?

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

Now when you go to behavior there is an option to weight it from 1 to 5

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2014

You log onto the website version and go to edit class. It should pop up the positives and negatives. Click on them and there is a box to check for weighing. I think. It isn't in front of me at the moment.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

Some of my "Needs Work" behaviors are:

Unladylike or Ungentlemanly Behavior
    Unauthorized, Unmanned Drone Flight
    Unnecessary Noise
    Abuse of Gravity

Also, here is one of the coolest Dojo tips I know, but it's for parents. Tell them that whenever they look at their child's points, to change the avatar. That way, the child knows the parent has seen it.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

Thanks! This will definitely help me increase the number of points I give out. Really trying to push participation so I'm going to bump that to 5 points.

23. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2014

I've never looked into this website. Sounds like something my class would respond to. Is it complicated? Or can we start simple and build from there? Also, could I start it in the meddle of the year?

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

First of all, I love your humor, Sarge! How do you use the "North Korea" class? I'm very curious...

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

When I started it was in the middle of the year two years ago. It's very user friendly and you can personalize everything. You can make it as simple or complicated as you'd like.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2014

I like the unnecessary noise!

I've been tempted to make a "looks busy but isn't actually doing anything" category :lol: