Class Books

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachnRox, Aug 30, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Aug 30, 2008

Looking for class book ideas....what class books do your kids like to read over and over throughout the year?

:) Rox

3. georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

Mem Fox's Hattie and the Fox and The Magic Hat. Make sure when you read them you animate them. When I read Hattie and the Fox I give every character a different voice and The Magic Hat we read like we are from England. Also, My students love reading different versions of the Three Little Pigs. I found some interesting ones. I found on the was The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig. Also, They like a book call Suddenly and The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear. Lots of books are my favorites but to make them your students favorite takes animation on your part you know bringing the book to life.

4. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Do mean class made books? At the beginning of the year, we do a birthday book with their birthdays in it. We do math books (counting, addition). We do a name book with our pictures. This year I'm going to make more with actual pictures from around our school (I have a lot of lower students). For example, have little Jimmy do a couple of things on the playground, and take pictures, then write the story of it. Also, use wordless books (or copy pictures from a book but not the words) and have the class make a story to go along with it.

Use different sizes and shapes (for example, a book about winter might be shaped like a snoman). Non-fiction books about things we have learned about (use as an informal summative assessment).

5. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 4, 2008

Yup that is exactly what I mean! Thanks for all the great ideas!

6. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

Other ideas at the beginning are simple books where the students fill in just a word or two. The rest of the sentence is already wrote for them (For Example: A book shaped like a ball, or a cloud, or a slide that says "At recess, I like to _________"). A book based on Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

A book with pictures of people that work at your school (principal, lunch guy, custodian, etc...) that says who they are and what they do (kids can help write that information down).

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 5, 2008

Right now we are making a class book about the class. I am doing one person a day, and we are writing a little biography of that person. I am going to laminate it and make it into a big book.

8. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Sep 8, 2008

By the end of the school year I have made enough classbooks so everyone can take one home.

some ideas:
    Things I can do in one minute...
    My hands can....(paint handprints on)
    If you took (class pet) to (name of school)....(If you take a mouse to school)
    The (color, animal) is.... (a rewrite of the mixed up chameleon)
    Ways to make 10 (kids show difrent ways to make the number 10)
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Things Im thankful for (for thanksgiving)

theres a whole bunch more...

ps. There is a great book out there from scholastic that is all for class books!