Class blogs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alisha, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 26, 2013

This will be my second year in fourth grade and now that I know the curriculum more, I am hoping to start a class blog. I don't know exactly what I want it to look like, but I know that I'd like my students to be responsible for some of the content (we will be a 1:1 iPad classroom this year so I want to integrate technology as much as possible).

What are some good blogs to use? I have Wordpress for a personal family blog, should I just create another Wordpress or are there better options out there? Does anyone have a blog which their students help create in anyway to which I could see a link?

I am sure that there is already a post on this topic somewhere so a link to a similar question would be awesome, too. :)

Thank you!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2013

I did this with my fifth graders last year. I used Blogger.

4. mrstchr

mrstchr Rookie

Jun 26, 2013

I was just coming here to ask a very similar question. Kidblog was recommended to me but I haven't checked it out yet. How do you plan to use it?

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2013

Blogspot (a.k.a. Blogger) works really well-- the interface is easy, the kids will not have a difficult time contributing if you choose to use it, and you can link up with other similar blogs. :) I made my own template last year, but before that, there was a site with nice classroom-oriented templates.

6. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 27, 2013

I just created a blog at my technology workshop using Blogger. It was really easy to set up. :)

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2013

I used Kid Blog last year, but I didn't really have a "class blog." The kids each had their own blog.

I was talking to my LMS yesterday about integrating technology more this coming year, and we came up with the idea of having a class twitter account. One of my classroom jobs will be "Tweeter," and that child will be responsible for tweeting throughout the day about things that we did in class.

8. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 27, 2013

Love this idea! Thanks!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

You may want to discuss what the policies are for allowing students to blog since some blog sites don't let students under the age of 13 blog and some districts have rules about privacy. I would definitely recommend that you send home a letter and/or permission slip about what the students will be doing, why they're doing it, etc so parents are aware. :)

I would love to start blogging in my classes- I was thinking of about perhaps assigning 1 student per grade per week to write a short article about something they learned in science class or something they learned about science out of class to post up on the blog. It's on my to do list ;)