Clasroom interview tomorrow, HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by nirvae2, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nirvae2

nirvae2 New Member

Aug 15, 2011

Classroom interview tomorrow, HELP PLEASE!!

I had an interview for a preschool teacher assistant position and the director said that she likes me and my qualifications are great but she needs to see me in the classroom. I have worked with children before but I'm scared because I don't know what they are expecting from me or what I'm suppossed to do.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Hi and welcome!

I would go in with a lesson planned, just in case.

Let's see, they've probably done all the typical summer things to death... what could you do that would be fresh??

(As so often happens, I'm in totally over my head here-- this is my mommy voice, not the voice of a high school math teacher.)

You could talk about comparisons-- big, bigger, biggest. (or Small, medium,large) You can bring in 3 stuffed animals, and have a whole story that goes along with each one. Then move on to loud, louder, LOUDEST, and so on.

But dress for a day either interviewing or working on the floor, and be prepared to go wtih the flow.

4. nirvae2

nirvae2 New Member

Aug 15, 2011

thanks

I'm preparing a quick flexible activity right now

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

If you are applying for a teacher assistant position though, you can have an idea for a lesson if the need arises, but don't try to overtake the classroom. You are there to assist the teacher, follow her lead. Help a student who is behind or may need one on one assistance, etc.

6. pink

pink Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

Get involved with whatever the kids are doing. If they're at circle time, sit down with the kids (they will most definitely welcome you and probably try to sit on your lap!) and participate in the song or story. Address minor behavior problems (redirect kids back to activity if they are focused on you, ask child to stop if he's touching/bothering another child), but like the previous poster said, don't step on toes! If they are in their centers, join a group of kids and participate in their play, ask a lot of open ended questions, and model appropriate speech and language. This is what I expect of my assistant aside from her duties of preparing snack, cleaning tables, etc.

7. nirvae2

nirvae2 New Member

Aug 15, 2011

So many good advices!!!! thank you so much for your help. I'm taking all these into account

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2011

how did it go? :)