Clarification, please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Feb 6, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 6, 2008

I hope to interview next week for a second grade teacher position at a very low-income urban school. The school, however, is designated as a Professional Development School, and has recently come up out of "school improvement" (basically improved test scores). That's all I know about the school, other than it is strictly an elementary. Here is where I think alternate certification programs have a real failing. I have no real idea what a professional development school is/does, and whether or not I would benefit from that designation as a new teacher of "above-average" years. In the entire 2-parish (think county) area in which I live, there are only 2 positions posted for which I am certified. I interviewed for a K-2 Librarian position, but they decided not to fill the position this school year. This 2nd grade position is the ONLY other position in the area, and I know that I am not the only person job searching! Any clarification / advice / words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

pwhatley, I don't have any words of wisdom. I don't think I've ever heard of a professional development school. Have you tried googling it?

4. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Feb 6, 2008

At my school (I'm still in college) we have to attend a professional development school for our methods classes and student teaching. I think it's like a school that helps pre-service teachers with experience in those types of classes. Now I'm in NY so it may not be the same in your state. I also know that these schools have to go through some sort of program type thing to become a PDS school.

5. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Feb 6, 2008

My understanding is that a Louisiana PDS school has a partnership with a University. You'll see more pre-service teachers at a PDS school, but it will also allow more one-on-one or small group tutoring for kids with needs.
    I don't think the PDS designation would hurt your resume at all. You may have some tough competition for the position, though, from teachers who worked there while in college and know the principal and teachers.
    I would interview, and ask for a tour if at all possible. Get a feel for the climate of the school. It could be a great place to start!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

This type of school sounds interesting. I bet it would be a great opportunity for your first position as a teacher.

7. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Feb 6, 2008

My school is considered a professional development school. We have a "prgessor in residence." She comes to school once a week and works with any teacher who would like her assistance. She has sort of adopted one particular teacher and visits there often. She also supervises any student teachers we get from her university.

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2008

It sounds cool, Pwhatley. Go for it. :)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 6, 2008

When I worked at a professional development school we met once a month and to read books and to discussions and so on how to better improve as teachers. But I think the term could mean something completely different at a different school. I would just ask them what is meant by PD school.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 6, 2008

I'm waiting to see if the principal calls me for an interview. I can't help but think that it would be a great place for a new teacher to work. The only negative I can find right now is that there are so few openings and many applicants at this time. When I entered the alternate certification program (January 06), there were TONS of openings, but I was not confident enough to try for any of them. Now, when I am certified (I hope -- it hasn't come in the mail yet), there are none to be had! From reading here, I gather that it is much worse other places -- at least here, you can generally get a job without a Master's degree. Oh, well, I have to have faith that He will send me where He needs/wants me. Patience has never been one of my virtues. Thanks for all the bolstering!