civil War Project

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tiredteacher, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tiredteacher

tiredteacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone out there has any good suggestions for a project that my honors class could do regarding the Civil War. I would love to find something that is hands on or something that will get us out of the classroom. Thanks
    Bryan

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2008

What aspects of the war are you looking to do? There's so many things you can do it is hard to suggest if you don't narrow it. History Alive has a great activity about the siege of Vicksburg. I've used the song "Follow the Drinking Gourd" in talking about the Underground Railroad and then had students write coded directions to their home. We've used the card game war to simulate battles using appropriate troop strengths.

What topic within the war are you looking into specifically?

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

Scholastic has a great Civil War simulation (it's a book) that my students loved! It took a week to get through it and the students did a variety of journal responses throughout the experience.

5. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Are there any re-enactments that go on where you live? They would dig that. Plus the PBS documentary that Ken Burns did is pretty interesting and showing a bit of that may help as well. Make sure you cover the battles and the personalities of the leaders. Kids eat that stuff up because it makes those people more human.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2008

I also did a history lab on civil war slang terms that was a ton of fun.

7. jessi.lewis

jessi.lewis Rookie

May 9, 2008

hey, could you give some more information on the civil war slang terms activity? Thanks! :)