City Year or Americorps?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindsey923, Jul 8, 2011.

1. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

City Year/Americorps?

Have any of you joined one of these programs to get your foot in the door? I am feeling very down right now and I am looking for any way I can to boost my resume while still being able to pay my bills. I would love more info on these types of programs from anyone who has been through it. Thanks!

Edit: I just realized City Year is part of Americorps, so pardon my title :cool:

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 8, 2011

I am just finishing my year with AmeriCorps. I'm not sure what your bills are, but I would not rely on only AmeriCorps stipend to cover all of them. I still live at home and nearly all of my stipend went to the few bills I do have. If you have any questions I can try to answer them, but there are so many different AmeriCorps programs in existance that my experiences may be very different from the programs you are looking at.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2011

I honestly don't know a ton about the program, but I do know this part is true! I'm not sure if they try to vary the stipends based on cost of living or not, but where I live/work has an extremely high cost of living. One of my friends from another school in our district was non-renewed due to budget this year and she looked into getting a teaching job through americorps in a nearby district. They told her she would get a stipend of 1,100 per month. Her "affordable housing" (literally, it is part of the affordable housing program) apartment alone costs her almost 1,000 a month in rent and utilities. Obviously there's no way she could make it. She said it's the only interview she's ever literally just had to say "no thanks" and walk out of.