City Classroom Theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RobyBrow, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Hello fellow teachers!

This is my first posting to the forum. I have been teaching for over 15 years. I have been on maternity leave since December, and I really need some ideas from all of you to boost my creativity.

I teach gifted students in grades 1-5. I would like to implement a "city" classroom theme this year. I have already made "signs of success" like "Kids at Work," "Stop and Read," and a few street signs, but I would love to hear what ideas many of you have. I really want to make a skyline of buildings etc. with the students the first week.

I have seen such great ideas posted here. I look forward to your replies.

Thanks for your help!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

Welcome to AtoZ. Do you teach all those grades together?

That sounds like so much fun. An enlarged map of a city would work. Get brochures from various cities' BBBs and city halls. Use atlases and graph populations of various large cities or compare cities in the U.S. with other continents. Research how cities started or how their locations were chosen. Compare the public service needs (safety, roads, garbage, transportation) of a small city and a large city. You could lead into a unit on early immigrants and their entry to the U.S. via the west coast and the east coast cities. Research slogans for various cities and make posters using them.

You can get some great music with city references.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

How about a "driver's license" of sorts for learning? You could give it to them at the beginning of the year or use it on a bboard.

I once gave my 3rd graders one when they started learning cursive. It was their Cursive Learner's Permit.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

That is adorable! I think I'll steal it.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2007

This is my theme. I could go on for hours about it. All the photos below are from last year's room, which is not my current room. My room for this next year is 97x more organized because of all this ergonomic storage I have acquired.

I have a city sign. It says WELCOME TO JASZTALVILLE, Population ___. It's wooden and on a stand. People think I'm insane. I stir things up. :)

[​IMG]

We have a museum-
    http://www.teachingvision.org/features/20062007/photos/room/museum2.jpg

and-

[​IMG]
    See Exit 3? I have exit signs scattered around the room, too.

Like this one pointing to my classroom library (though the area of the library has practically doubled each year I have taught)-

[​IMG]

We have a United States bulletin board- which is never changing for as long as I teach (I kept it all in one piece with the stuff on it, too)-

[​IMG]

And a postcard door-

[​IMG]

Oh, and there's a website in the bottom right of this image- one that REALLY stirred kids up because they thought it was real (yes, 4th graders are gullible in that respect, and so are 5th graders, believe it or not)-

[​IMG]

And I also have the driver's licenses. BEFORE this thread. :D

Last year, we were going to have a flag contest, but it never came, and neither did the election for Jasztalville city council and mayor (and all the other jobs).

I am a self-proclaimed lunatic.

7. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

No, I will teach each grade separately for 45 minutes a day. I was thinking about having each grade work on decorating a different aspect of the "city." That way the children would have more ownership of the classroom. Especially since I will be the new one. They are all returning students. What do you think?

8. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I LOVE your ideas. I will have to steal a few. I was thinking about having the children help with the decorations. have one grade make the skyscrapers, another make exit signs, one make a road etc, What do you think? That will be my lesson plan for the first week or so.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

That sounds great as a getting to know you kind of project. You will see how they work together and be able to establish procedures at the same time. Sounds like fun.

10. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

And I also have the driver's licenses. BEFORE this thread. :D

Ms. Jasztal, what do you do with the driver's licenses?

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I stick them up around the room. I have NEVER known if I could hang anything from the ceiling, but if I can, the more power to do that!

The exit signs are fun to make. The kids really enjoy working on aspects of the room! This is a truly a splendid idea for a Gifted resource class, too. :)

12. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Ok, this is what I am thinking about doing with the city classroom...

I teach gifted resource classes. I will probably have one class of each grade level a day. I am thinking about having all students brainstorm what would be good in the city. (stores etc.) Have classes make charts, drawings etc. and learn some rules and ideas for barinstorming. Also I'd like to incorporate a classroom economy as a behavior management system.

Then have each grade level choose a section of the room to decorate. For example 3rd grade could do the library, 2nd grade may decide to create a residential area with homes, 5th grade may design the currency and bank. I suppose I won't knwo what we are making until we brainstorm.

I thought that I would interchange some of the stores. For example when studying estimation, make a toy store. When learning about letter writing, create a post office etc.

Does anoyone have any management or design ideas for this? I want it to be fun, organized and relate to standards as much as possible.

Thanks!

13. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I don't have the cursive driver's liscense and I want to know what you use!! Do you have a picture or something? If so, please post!

14. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

This will be my first time doing it so I don't have any pictures.

If someone has a driver's license I would love to see it as well. Meanwhile I will work on one myself.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2007

Dang! Amazing ideas, Robybrow! I like the aspects of the room being designed. :) And fifth graders and money, hahahaha... :D