Citation style for science research papers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by summer, Mar 28, 2014.

1. summer

summer Rookie

Mar 28, 2014

Hi science teachers,

Which style of citation do you use for research papers in science class? When I searched online, I found the following types relating to science. My students will be writing a research paper on renewable energy. Any thoughts? I know they have learned MLA in English class, but this is mostly used in the humanities. Thanks!

Chemistry - American Chemical Society (ACS)
    Biology - Council of Scientific Editors (CSE)
    Physics - American Institute of Physics (AIP)

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 28, 2014

I do MLA. I am far more concerned with them doing research and analyzing what they found than how they cite things.

Plus, I've never had to submit a paper with anything but MLA. If a student is bright enough to submit to scientific journals instead of a high school teacher, he's bright enough to learn another format on his own :)

4. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Mar 28, 2014

If you're a science teacher and you don't already know the answer then I don't think it matters. As a student, I've never had to do anything in something other than MLA.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 28, 2014

I have them use MLA because the citation format isn't a very important detail for me. As 2ndTimeAround stated, it's more about the research. Having them use MLA gets them to practice the format for their English classes where citation style really matters.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 28, 2014

MLA ... it is common. If they need to learn a different one later, it won't be difficult if they already know MLA.

In college, I used APA. When I began teaching, our school used MLA. The transition was not difficult. I now know MLA backwards and forwards. A former student who is well into her nursing classes asked this week if I could edit her APA paper. I had to look up a few things, but it wasn't difficult to make the switch.

To me, like others have said, it is understanding HOW to research and WHY to cite, not HOW to cite. That being said, when they are told a format, they need to follow it correctly.

The OWL at Purdue (online) is a great resource.

7. bora

bora Rookie

Mar 28, 2014

You can leave them choose the style they want. MLA or APA.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 28, 2014

Now that I'm in grad school, I've had to make the awkward leap from MLA to APA. It's best to be versed in both, or at least know where to find web pages to help you.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

MLA. It's accepted in science, and becoming proficient in it will serve your students in more than one area.

As for citation format not being important. . . . dear me. In my classes, it is. Not citing a source properly is like stealing it.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 31, 2014

I would use whatever your school or department typically uses or mandates. If all of the other science teachers use MLA just do that for simplicity's sake. Just let them know that later on, different disciplines (like science) have different citation styles. I know both my sons who majored in history were shocked when they never used MLA in college but instead used Chicago.