circle time?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by cheer, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

How many of you do circle time? We are required to do a math meeting every day. I perfer to do this in their seats because they focus better. I truely have a hard time with circle time (space, management, lack of focus of children) I was wondering if I was alone in this feeling.

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

I do read alouds, writing mini lessons, and reading mini lessons on the carpet. Some classes can handle it, others like my class last year had to have assigned spots. I sat them in rows on the carpet. At the beginning of the year I teach clear expectations and rules for the carpet and remember to enforce them. If they break a rule, they go to their table and do not get to sit on the carpet. They don't like that.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

Sorry I won't be much help. I do most of my teaching from the carpet. I feel they pay attention better right there with me. We only use desks for independent work.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

I don't know that I'd call it "circle time" in first grade, but I've even seen 5th grade teachers who do some instruction to the class assembled on the carpet. (And I do all of my whole-group instruction on the carpet in my K class.) It's all about setting the expecations from day one. My students do have assigned spots and I tweak them as necessary if there are issues.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

yeah, I don't call it circle time. But I almost always teach from the carpet area.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Don't call it circle time either. I just say join me on the carpet for....whatever it is.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

exactly.