circle time...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by errrika, Dec 29, 2011.

1. errrika

errrika Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

Hi all,

I'm planning on changing a few things next week when we go back to school after winter break. :help:

I have decided to start doing my circle time in smaller groups. Not that I need to tell you probably, but it is very difficult to keep 20 three year olds focused and on task!

While I work with half the class the other half will be working in small groups with my TA on specific skills.

Anybody else do this? Any suggestions or tips to make this more efficient? :thanks:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

I would suggest starting with an everyone activity for about a minute or two (a song, chant, etc). Then send part of the class for centers so that you can give directions. Work with half the class on circle time. When you are ready to transition, have another whole class activity for a few minutes. Then give the center directions again.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 29, 2011

I agree with mopar. Some of the reason to start a circle time is to show the children what they will need to do in later years. It is tricky...since there is a controversy about if it is appropriate for our age groups at all. Start with a song with clapping or moving, then announce your intentions and break up. Don't just start already broken up.

Re-examine your circle time too....perhaps it can use refining and then it won't be such a challenge for you...or them.

5. errrika

errrika Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

Thanks mopar and WaProvider! That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it but I do see the importance of meeting as whole group before splitting up.

As it is, I keep my circle time short and fun. But I find that it's always the same students answering or participating. One of the reasons I am going to try this new way is to give others a new setting in which they can feel more comfortable.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 29, 2011

Yep, that happens even in older grades. Think of when you were a kid...if you didn't know the answer....ask yourself...."who was it that answered?" Every class has the people who do and don't answer.

I have gotten away from the question answer format. I might spread present cut outs on the ground with matching bows. Then sing:

Here's some presents I have wrapped for you,
    red ones, green ones, striped ones too.
    But the one little present,
    that I love best,
    is the present that rhymes with "BED" (RED)

If all of the kids are really unplugged during circle I would just make a set for all of the children and have them dive for their own square/bow combo (very small and just paper). If the class is more animated maybe have only one set.

For shapes
    (if your happy and you know it)
    If you have a square...hold it up.
    If you have a square...hold it up.
    If you have a square, if you have a square, if you have a square hold it up.

Then throw the pattern blocks on carpet....children dive for the item.

NO question answer. They will get enough of that later. When you get their attention back, you can begin to slid some back in, but right now they maybe telling you they aren't ready.