Circle Time Interrupters...My Eyebrow Hurts

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 19, 2010

Looking for some help in dealing with preschoolers who complain of 'something' repetitively (as in 30 x repeating My Eyebrow Hurts) or more while you are about to do a song, in the middle of reading a story, etc. These children want attention and I try to give positive attention to them while they are sitting down, or just before a story but it happens frequently and I don't know how to handle it!! Sometimes I say I'm Sorry your eyebrow hurts, it looks fine to me but they keep repeating that it hurts. What to do? Thanks a billion!:)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2010

Sorry, but I had to laugh....I have had kids complain about a lot of things but never their eyebrow! When I first read the post I thought it was your eyebrow that hurt from giving "the look" so many times in a day.

I have a rule which we gradually learn - no interrupting when I am reading, talking or singing. There is a silent signal in case they have to go to the bathroom during this time.

The best rule is ignore - maybe put out your hand in a stop signal - but give no other acknowledgment or communication in response. They are getting you to respond, so they are getting attention. Totally ignore as much as possible, but maybe praise someone else who is quiet at the same time. I think these kids are terminal attention hounds and probably a chart or positive reinforcements won't help. Good luck.

4. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 19, 2010

Yes, I try to ignore...and they will literally repeat something over and over about 30 x and sometimes they will get louder and louder. I will try to implement the No Interrupting (gradually) and see if that helps. Thank you for your answer!

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

I wouldn't implement it gradually. It still gives them the option to do it and they might be testing you. I'd just tell them, here's the way it is, and this is how we're going to do it, and then be consistent. If you are NOT consistent, they'll eat you alive (figuratively, of course!)

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

I thought you meant your teacher-look was tiring you out. The eyebrow being up permanently .. haha.

7. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010

If the child honestly complained about his eyebrow thirty times while you were reading a story, I probably would have removed him or her from the group. First I probably would have investigated the legitimacy of the eyebrow hurting, then I would have given a silent signal to be quiet, then I would have given a warning, and then I would have removed him or her. That kind of behavior drives me batty and is really distracting for other students.

He or she is smart enough to come up with a wacky ploy (presumably) to get out of an activity, definitely smart enough to understand actions and consequences.

8. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 19, 2010

This child who finds things to complain about is the daughter of the teacher I work with. There are two other students that do this too.
    I would remove this child from the group but there is no one to remove her...
    Tomorrow when I introduce the No Interruption rule...the one girl will use going to the bathroom as her new ploy! AH!!

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

I don't send the attention hound "out of the circle" or out of the room (since there is usually not another person to be with). I do however, have them move to the complete rear of the circle where only I can see them.

They still annoy me, but no one can see them. I don't have the 30x of the eyebrow though.

We do go potty before circle.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2010

I agree with the op - explain the rule and start enforcing it immediately. Doing it gradually isn't a good idea, imo.

I also only remove from circle under dire circumstances, but you don't need anyone to do it - tell them and if they don't listen, take them yourself. Yes, it interrupts your circle time but you won't have to do it often.

Have you read 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers? It might be helpful.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 20, 2010

I would try things like:

1. John, look at the Zebra on this page.
    2. Susie, can you count the bugs on the flower.

You really do need two people at circle time. And, the support person needs to be trained in what to do.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

what does the support person do, Blue?

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 20, 2010

I have a little mantra I use for situations like this, I say "I'm sorry, I'm not a doctor" and I move right on. I only say it if I KNOW it's just an attention seeking thing. You know it is working when somebody complains and another child turns to the offender and says "Don't you know she's not a doctor?!" :lol:

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

I love that!!

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2010

I gotta steal that line!

16. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Amazing! I will need to use that one too!

17. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 20, 2010

Im not a preschool teacher but this works for attention seeking behavior. Reinforce every other child sitting there quietly! Even if its a "I love how Sue is sitting quietly"

or depending on how anti-candy/snack you are. Give a small reinforcer to those who ARE sitting quietly during circle time. You're basically ignoring the interrupter.

if you truly know its an attention seeking behavior and there isnt something something physically wrong.

18. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Reinforcing the good doers around the child not acting appropriately only works about 50% of the time!
    Today after I told them about not interrupting and still having the behavior continue I tried the hand signal (to stop)...and it seemed to work. Try it!

19. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Word ame! Skittles have magic powers with my group!

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2010

Skittles may have magic powers but in California there are now regulations prohibiting teachers from giving candy in public schools....not to mention other considerations....

21. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Sep 22, 2010

I think I might just throw "MY eyebrow hurts" into my next Circle Time. That seems like it might catch their attention faster than anything else. Or maybe "my pocket hurts". :)