Circle time for 2.5-3.5 year olds what do you do?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Aug 4, 2009.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

This will be my first time teaching this age have done 3-5 before.... what should I do?

Thanks
    Dana

3. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Aug 4, 2009

What I have seen done is usually a short calendar time...with the child putting up the number and just talking about the day of the week and month (pretty quickly), reading a story, talking about "jobs" of the day....

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

At 2.5 and 3.5 I view that act of sitting and participating in circle as important if not more important than what actually is happening at circle. As a baseline I have songs that include days of the week words and use the calendar to count in unison, we use finger rhymes that the children participate in and use a thematic story to set the tone for the day. Then I learn how much the children can handle and learn how to get them to succeed. By the time we understand that about each other a few weeks have gone by---but our circle is including more and more topics.

have a song that cues them to know what is happening......then don't change that song.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

Be sure to make it VERY short. Songs are always a good idea and they love it. I once heard at a workshop that a child's attention span at this age is their age plus 2 minutes. After working with 3 yr olds for 24 years, I have to believe it! :lol:

6. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I do a lot of songs that involve movement and action. They love to move!! The first thing that I do with all my classes is some sort of action game that gets the wiggles out. At the end of the action game I give the direction to sit down and model how I want them to sit quietly. This seems to work great, for my class anyways.

7. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!!:D!