Circle Time for 2 1/2-3s

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jjws, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jjws

jjws New Member

Aug 28, 2016

I just got hired (like JUST) and am frantically trying to get organized for school which starts in a week. I'm struggling with when to put Circle Time in my daily schedule since this is a younger group. I don't want to have too many transitions so am thinking first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. Thoughts?

3. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 29, 2016

You might want to schedule a transition period prior to starting Circle Time. Maybe table toys? Then Circle Time. I never had much luck with the end of the day--singing songs worked or a simple game? Congratulations on your new job. Preschoolers are the best!

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 29, 2016

What hours are the kids there?

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 29, 2016

I copied this from another post I had made about early childhood so there is extra information in it about materials. Hope this helps though! : D I always did circle time in the morning and if for some reason we were unable to go outside in the after noon (cold/rain/etc.) I would do a mini circle time in the afternoon. If you want specific times, I can add that in there too!

"1. Arrival/Sign in
    Cubby's labeled with kid's names.

2. Potty
    I had picture posters in the bathroom about washing hands and a step-stool.

3. Free Choice
    Some centers open. Wooden puzzles, blocks, dramatic play items, construction paper, markers, crayons,cars, and legos. Most of these things should be provided for you!

4. Morning snack
    Laminated name tags taped to the table so kids know where to sit. I later added pictures of each child to mine.

5. Circle Time
    I had my kids sit in the same spot on the carpet everyday. It was rough in the beginning but really helped later on. They knew what the expectation was when coming to circle time!
    Figure out what you will do for circle time, then what you will need. General items you might use: lots of picture books! Something interactive for weather, puppets, posters on colors/counting. You might be able to print, buy, or create your own posters. Calendar is too young for two's IMO. ABC's. Vocabulary cards with pictures (might be good for older 3's).

You need to remember to have pictures everywhere. On my shelves, I took pictures of the actual items that were there and taped them to the shelf. Kids new exactly where stuff belonged and what it should look like. Just takes a little bit of time but well worth it!

6. Centers
    Centers could include:
    Water-play table or sand
    Dramatic play: dolls, clothing, hats, doll furniture, props, plastic food, etc.
    Blocks: wooden, plastic, connecting, legos
    Art: paper, crayons, colored pencils, etc. Teach them to cut with scissors in small groups with lots of supervision, easel
    Science: next to a window preferably, real items to touch, pictures of real animals/plants, books, magnify glass, real plants, I also attached a suction cup bird feeder to my window, and we had a pet hermit crab.
    Fine motor: puzzles, play-doh, cardboard lacing, tweezers with pom-poms, pipe cleaners with pasta strainer, etc.
    Gross motor: outside/inside play area, cd player
    Library: books, soft items like pillows, stuffed animals, chairs

7. Potty

8. Music/movement
    Cd's from various cultures, scarves, beanbags, shakers, instruments, open space to dance

9. Whole group sit down while lunch is prepared
    Could read a story, talk about their day, etc.

10. Lunch

11. Storytime/Potty
    Relaxation time before nap

12. Nap

13. Potty

14. PM snack

15. Indoor/outdoor free play

16. Departure"

6. jjws

jjws New Member

Sep 5, 2016

Most of them are there from 9-12, with a few being there full day.

7. jjws

jjws New Member

Sep 5, 2016

Shoreline02, this is really helpful!! It ends up that we are going to start our day on the playground and then I'm thinking that I'll do circle time when we come in (hopefully the majority of wiggles will be left on the playground).

Thank you to all for your responses!

8. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

I'd probably put a bathroom break in before you do circle time. If nothing else, it will give the kids a chance to wash their hands after the dirty playground.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 6, 2016

Playground
    Bathroom
    Circle Time
    Snack
    Centers
    Story Time
    Dismissal

That should be about 3 hours worth, no?