Circle time- Do you sit in a chair or on the floor?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Nov 7, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

Hello,
    I went to a staff development day for pre-k last Friday and we were learning about how to teach kids social emotional skills. We watched lots of videos on how teachers deal with circle time. In most of the videos, the teacher was sitting on the floor. I got to thinking, what do most teachers do? I wouldnt mind sitting on the floor, but how to you situate the seating so all kids can see the calendar? Also, what does the teacher do when you are going over calendar? Do they use a chair or stand up? I feel like when I stand up I am hovering over the kids. This is my first year so I would like some advice on how others do it.
    Thanks! :wub:

3. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

I teach high school, but I think the same conventions apply.

I was at a really good in service 2 years ago that discussed body language and contact in great detail.

Most of it was to be mindful of being intimidating or making the student uncomfortable (both physically and emotionally.)

When you are over them, they must crane their head up to look at you which is physically awkward. Try to keep it so they are looking straight or (even better) slightly down.

Also, if you are over them and in close proximity to them you are taking a very domineering position which is can be intimidating. This is especially true for students from Asian and South American cultures.

Finally there was the question of physical contact. It would be easy for us as teachers to simply say no contact at all, but that's just not realistic in a school setting and is even detrimental to the youngest ones who have just come out of home where there is constant physical contact. That whole discussion was well over an hour long, but it all comes down to being mindful of the message you are sending.

I have all tables in my room and often sit beside my students or on the floor in front of their table. I'll give them a shoulder to shoulder bump at times or a very quick pat on the back/ shoulder. With the age group I'm teaching, any physical contact has to be very short or it can be uncomfortable for the student

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2010

It depends....I usually sit on a chair when I am doing morning circle because: a. it is easier for all 25 kids to see the book b. my knees won't take too many getting up and downs over a day. When I am working with a small group I often sit on the floor to create a more intimate setting and I find kids come to talk and cuddle more when I am on the floor. I try to sit on the ground for part of outdoor time, as well, for the same reasons.

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

I teach K and I am short so I sit in a rocking chair. We don't have room for a circle so my students sit facing me and perpendicular to the calendar wall. I would prefer they face the calendar as well but as I said, space is an issue. When we are doing small groups at their tables I sit in a child size chair.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2010

I teach grade 3 and am often on the carpet with my kids for class meetings, demonstrating use of math manipulatives, conferring with kids during reading time...:thumb:

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

I teach K and always am on the floor with them. It helps to model appropriate ways for them to sit as well. The sit in a 3 sided circle around the wall full of circle stuff (calendar, weather, writing, etc..) so they can all see straight ahead. I just scoot around to what i need to be pointing to so they can all see. Everything is on the wall at sitting level, so they can see straight ahead.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 7, 2010

Yep, my area is built for sitting. I sit, to model how to sit appropriately in circle. I block parts of the calendar with my body when we aren't using them...but I move to the side when we are. We are also short on space...so we rotate things often. The items are set at roughly eye level for the children.

9. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Nov 7, 2010

I do both. Calendar, I stand because my calendar takes up half the wall.

10. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

I sit on the floor during circle time and calendar. I tried sitting in a chair, but I felt I was not on their level.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Nov 13, 2010

Generally I sit on the floor. I do not do calendar. Our circle is a greeting and singing time. We then move so that they can see the white board for a quick message.