Circle Time BB

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by OhThePlaces, Aug 8, 2012.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

I'm curious about what everyone displays on their circle time (morning meeting, etc) bulletin board?

The teacher before me had:
    -Calendar
    -Yesterday was ____, Today is _____, Tomorrow will be _____
    -Weather chart

Well I'm really struggling with whether or not I want to continue calendar activities, since it's my understanding that at their age (3) these activities aren't DAP. If I don't continue them, I'm wondering what I should pdisplay on my currently blank BB?

I was thinking maybe I could use it to display rules, class jobs and a daily illustrated schedule. I would love to hear/see what you do!

Here's the space in question:
    [​IMG]

3. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I'm struggling with the same situation. I have a mixed age group (mostly 2-5 year olds), and some of the younger kids aren't benefiting from "calendar" activities. I am looking for some new ideas to revamp my circle time. I don't know how to explain why I am going to change circle time to the older kids though (who do enjoy calendar).:confused:

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

If you have older kids, I think you should continue doing calendar, especially if they like it. Can you let the younger kids put the number of the day up? Even if they don't understand it, they love participating. I would just cut the time spent very short. That's what I do anyway. Short circle times work for every age.
    I personally find "weather charts" very boring. I don't do it. We sing our Good Morning Song (something your young ones can do,) and we spell the month and find the number. Flannel stories are always good for the little ones, too.

5. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

With a class of young threes it might be nice to work on feeling connected-this can really cut down on behavior problems.

What about hanging the students pictures with their names on the board? If you a Velcro dot under each picture you could have them find theirs and check in by putting a die cut of a bee-if you wanted to stay with your theme or what ever you want.

I have an empty picture frame that I used when I had just 3s that I "bedazzled" with rhinestones.

As the opening of our circle we passed around the frame. Each child held the frame so their face was in the frame. Then we sang "Hello (child's name), Hello (child's name), Hello (child's name), We're glad you're here today" to the tune of Goodnight Ladies.

One of my classroom jobs is the "wish well" helper. After singing hello they put a heart die-cut by the names of the children who are absent one at a time. Then they (or I) say "(Child's name) is not here today. Let's wish them well." Then we put our hands on our hearts and take a big deep breathe. After all the hearts have been placed then we sing the wish well song. "We you well. We wish you well. All through the day today we wish you well." to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell"

Another job is the "Welcome back kiss". I have a set of felt lips on a stick. And when a child comes back to school the WBK helper leads the chant and places a "Kiss" on the child. Before I had my lips I just used a small finger puppet. Chant:
    "You've been gone and you've been missed. Where would you like your welcome back kiss?"

You could also put picture icons for favorite songs, finger plays and nursery rhymes on the board and when you have a few minutes (snack is not quite ready, etc.) they children could choose which one to sing.

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

AT the beginning of the year ~ we don't do many of old traditional activities. One of our favorites is the "Question of the day".... it gets 100% participation, name recognition, simple yes/no question responses, graphing (because you always compare the yes to no to see which is more/less) AND.... it's a good way to get to know your kids.

I may add in calendar come September (new month) but it is never a first few week of school activity.

I am choosing more purpose planned activities vs what used to work. Calendar/weather/ and such takes out a lot of valuable attention time ..... and geesh they get that in the 4's, kinder, first, etc...

7. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

I think calendar is definitely not DAP for 3 year olds. I would use the board to display things to work on colors, shapes, nursery rhymes, etc. Maybe put up a new picture daily or weekly and just discuss what is in the picture/what is happening/etc. - great for building vocabulary, thinking skills, etc. Use calendar pics, clip art, any type of pics.

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

Thank you for the advice!

I went up to school yesterday afternoon after swinging by the teacher store. I decided to go ahead and purchase a calendar pocket chart. I will not be focusing very much time on calendar concepts, but I figure we'll spend just a couple of minutes at circle time on it, singing the days of the week, then counting up from 1 to the current day. We'll see how it goes. I have a 3 year old myself, and I KNOW he has absolutely no concept of time, past or future. So I refuse to play the "Yesterday was, Tomorrow will be" game or make them sit through a long calendar routine. I felt some pressure to at least have a calendar dislayed. :unsure:

So I placed the class rules at the top of the BB, then the calendar pocket chart under. I was also hoping to be able to fit the class jobs on there, but I didn't have the space. On top of the BB I put a Days of the Week chart (soon to be joined by a Months of the Year chart) which I'm afraid are really too high up to be effective, but I just don't have any lower space available at this point.

Becky, I LOVE all of your suggestions and hope to incorporate them into my routine somewhere. :)

[​IMG]

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

I cant' wait to get in my class next week and prep! When I do I will show you what we are doing and maybe share along through the year as to how I change circle (Large group) time throughout the year.

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

[​IMG]

This is my circle time. I also put up my monkey job "chart" under the circle time chart. My 3's do well with this chart. We do days of the week and the month and number- they calendar helper gets to move the star and put the number in. They LOVE that. The weather watcher does the weather wheel and puts the correct clothes for the current weather on the chart. And I pick a few helpers each day to do the gum ball counting. They love just participating and they learn a lot from that!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

If you can find one of those vinyl stick on things with weather people and clothes, they will stick to a window. That is fun for all ages. Even I think it is fun.

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 11, 2012

Msaly, I LOVE your circle time center! I am so sorry that I didn't know about those before. That will definitely be on my "eventually buy" list. ;)

Blue, I'll have to check around!

13. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

I love it too! Its great! It is pretty expensive but you can get coupons through their text or email program. It was my one big splurge a year ago, and im glad I got it!

14. dragonmaiden50

dragonmaiden50 New Member

Aug 20, 2012

We do what you are pretty much saying. Day and weather. But we also so the season. And a mood chart. There is happy, sad, angry, tired, and silly. Each day I allow one child to pick our mood for the day and then we all make the face of the mood. The younger ones really seem to like that.

15. errrika

errrika Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

I completely agree with you and was glad when I read your first sentence. Can I ask you what your "calendar time" looks like?

I am working on doing something new for calendar instead of the usual monthly with cute number cards and could really use some fresh ideas.

I wrote a blog post about what I've got so far... http://wp.me/p117ht-Y