Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Apr 30, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

Anyone have any cute ideas?

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

We are just reading a story and making a paperplate maraca- I think the idea is from dlk or enchanted learning, the other k teacher came up with the idea and shared it with me.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

you could teach your kids how to do a dance...youtube.com has some really good ones. Also, have your kids dress up if possible. And maybe serve mexican cookies or go all out and do tacos, rice & beans.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

Mexican Cookies maybe a good idea. I also like the idea of the paper plate Macarena.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 30, 2011

I'd love to see a paper plate do the Macarena!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2011

Consider what your objective is. Do what's meaningful, but not typical. Be culturally sensitive.

Look at cacti, a map of Mexico. Make tissue paper flowers. Teach a few Spanish words. Make flags of Mexico.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

Have a Margarita after school.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2011

But it might not be too cute after one...

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 30, 2011

Well, since three of the girls in my first block asked me the other day what would I do if someone came to my class high, I think they have enough ideas of their own. (LOL!!)

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

Making a flag is a cute idea. We did the same think for st patricks day. I have a few students who are learning spanish or who know spanish so I could have them teach us some words.

I'm glad I do not have to worry about kids coming to school high. Is this what they do on this day or something? I am so out of the loop.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

Guacamole...... just in case you have hungry kids .... (I know it would attract the teachers).......

Ingredients

3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
    In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2011

Yum:p

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

http://www.brainpopjr.com/socialstudies/cultures/mexico/

You don't have to have a subscription for this one...There is also links on the bottom, one is for paper plate maracas!

If you don't have a projector in your room...maybe you can use it as your computer center for the week or take the whole class to the computer lab to do it.

15. Tech Girl

Tech Girl New Member

May 2, 2011

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

Nice, perfect idea for May 5th. Since that is what I call it.

17. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 2, 2011

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 2, 2011

I don't mean to offend anybody, but as a Mexican I see Cinco de Mayo celebrated so much more in the US than our independence day, September 16. Most of my students actually think that Mexico's independence day is May 5th because of the huge celebration done.

I would make a point of letting students know that Cinco de Mayo is just a battle Mexico fought in Puebla against the French and that our most important day is September 16, which is Independence day. I always try to celebrate September 16 more than Cinco de Mayo with my students.

Again, I hope I don't offend anybody. I think it's great that it is celebrated. It's just that this celebration overshadows the celebration of a more important event in our history.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

I guess I don't understand why we celebrate it at all here. To add to that, why would we need to celebrate Mexico's Independance day?

20. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 2, 2011

In that case, why would need to recognize customs and holidays from any immigrants? We are becoming the largest minority and we are becoming a huge part of this country, just like Irish, Germans, Italians. We are part of the US culture whether it's accepted or not.

I guess I offended some people. I guess I thought all teachers were culturally respectful but I was wrong.

21. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

I am culturally respectufly. To me recongizing and celebrating are two different things. We can recognize, understand, and study traditions and holidays from other cultures. I don't understand why we need to celebrate them here?

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

When I teach my class about other countries and their celebrations, I include a lot of fun facts about the people and what is important to them. I don't call it a celebration, but consider it a wonderful way to teach tolerance of people who are "different" from us in many ways. Having tacos or making pinatas on Cinco de Maya Day is not a "celebration," but is in fact a fun way to learn about other countries. It's called "hands on" learning and children soak it up better than reading it from a book.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Marci, thank you so much for this information - I live in CA and have worked with many, many students from Mexico, and I feel a little ashamed that I didn't know this!!

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

I am not offering any suggestions, but we actually get Cince de Mayo off.... Great way to start the first week back from Easter break.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

Oh, and on a side note, it might be worth mentioning to your students that while el Cinco de Mayo is highly celebrated in the states, it is not so much celebrated here in MX. It is a recognized, federal holiday, but no one really celebrates it here. Their independence day is 9/16, and just like in the states, they celebrate with fireworks, parties, fairs, etc. Just thought I would mention that.

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 3, 2011

I think here it is simply another excuse for peple to drink.