CI Surgery Update

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, May 15, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2009

Yesterday (May 14)--Day of Surgery

We had to wait a bit because doozy me checked on everything but whether they had an interpreter or not. I told my audiologist but forgot to inform my surgeon's office who actually set up everything. Oops. Even with that snag I got in the OR room at the right time. I was so glad to have an interpreter before the surgery because I didn't have a private or even semi-private room and the place was ultra noisy and overwhelming. It was like a bunch of fitting rooms in one big room. The chair was really comfortable though and my nurse was super funny.

The most interesting part is I'm used to being wheeled into the OR already sedated. This time I went in and sat on the table myself and watched while they set it and me all up then they sedated me. Warning...do not chew gum before the surgery. I spit it out before my 2 hour pre-op time but I got chewed out for that. He said some doctors will cancel for that. I thought I was good as long as I didn't swallow anything. Nope. He, instead, treated me as if I were a gunshot patient who ate a big mac before I walked in.

After I woke up I did have a hard time. I was so dizzy and the room was constantly spinning every time I moved an inch. As long as I stayed perfectly still I was fine. Once I moved I had to wait a min or two for the room to shut up and quit mocking me. I was especially thankful to have an interpreter at this time. His movements were large and though he was blurry and sometimes there were 2 of him, I could understand him. There is no way I could have read print or lipread. I guess I could have if they were patient enough to wait for the room to stop spinning.
    I was hesitant about riding home in a moving car so I stayed until about 730. I couldn't be admitted into the hospital though that was on the list of suggestions because it wasn't confirmed if my insurance would pay for it or not. Instead they recommended a hotel and come back to see the dr in the morning. I chose to go home instead so they had me waiting until the last possible moment because the episodes were improving each passing hour.

I did throw up at the end. They had switched me from a bed to sitting up and forgot to bring my throw up pan. I asked for it loudly and she jumped up but it was too late. I chose the floor rather than my clothes. I didn't bring backup clothes.

I'm glad I was on the last bit of my period because nobody told me I might be completely naked under my gown. This way I got to wear disposable underwear and not have to withstand feeling those uncomfortable breezes in the wrong place.

I don't know if I have a metallic taste or not. I haven't eaten yet. I'm waiting for hubby to wake up. My breath does taste and probably smell bad but I just realized I haven't brushed my teeth yet after that mishap last night. Ewwwww.....

I came home and propped up my pillows. After all that I was starting to feel a little better but my ear was really sore. I kept asking them to up the pain meds so I wouldn't feel it but the solution was much more simple. My turban was too tight. Once I loosened it, I was able to sleep comfortably.

Today (May 15)--Recovery Day 1

The first thing I did this morning after I wrote that above story was BRUSH MY TEETH! Whew!

One side of my tongue feels like I burnt it but 2/3 of my tongue still loves me and I have a bit of an appetite today!

I'm feeling much better. The room is not spinning at every move I make anymore. I'm still not up to sitting up in my computer chair or even moving around the room. I still stumble and get a little bit dizzy just going from the bed to the bathroom. So I'm staying put and letting hubby bring me everything. I literally slept all day after my surgery and all night so while I am tired today, I'm not really sleepy. I can't see my t.v. because it is on the wrong side of the bed and I can't turn my head that way but I am alternating being on this computer, reading a chapter or two from a book and closing my eyes for a while. That's about the extent of my plans for today.

The best thing I got today was my child found my neck roll pillow (not the kind you wrap around your neck) and it really helps! My neck was getting too stiff trying to lay propped up.

The first thing my 5 year old said this morning was, "but you can still hear right?" Awww...he was worried. He doesn't quite understand the whole thing but since I did my worse ear I could honestly tell him that yes I could still hear.

3. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 15, 2009

Wow, thanks so much for the updates, Cut N Glue! So far sounds like you're headed in the right direction! It would be great if you posted this into a blog when you have a chance. Hope everything keeps going as well as planned.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 15, 2009

WHOA! I woke up yesterday, thinking about you and the surgery, Cutandglue!! I couldn't remember what day it was on, but I felt that it was close. I can't even remember to eat breakfast or what time I need to pick dh up from work, so I find it very eerie and strange that I picked the right day to pray for you.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 15, 2009

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how your surgery went and I'm glad that you're feeling better.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2009

That made me chuckle Jem. It's funny how stuff like that happens.

Blindteacher, I can't even motivate myself to redo my website that crashed before it really got started much less keep up with a blog.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 15, 2009

Im glad the surgey went well cut!!! I hope that the recovery goes smoothly!! :hugs:

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 15, 2009

Keep us posted!! Best wishes Cut!!!!!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 15, 2009

Best wishes for a speedy recovery cutnglue!!! :D

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2009

My activation dates are June 2nd and 3rd. For those of you who might not be familiar with a cochlear implant, there is a part that goes inside your head (they drill a hole in your skull) and there is a part that goes behind the ear (like a hearing aid but there is an extra magnet part). In order for the implant inside to be turned on, you have to have the outer part too.

The inside part looks like this picture: http://www.cochlearimplant.com/userfiles/Image/90k_Implant.jpg

The outer processor looks like this picture: http://www.cochlearimplant.com/userfiles/Image/image26.jpg

The hearing aid looking part will pick up the sounds and it travels up the coil to the magnet part (the round thing with the stars on it) and that sends electrical impluses to the magnet part of the implant in my head that travels through the cochlea and to the auditory nerve which sends it to the brain to translate. The outside magnet part (the round star disc) will be under my hair. The only part you'll see is the part that looks like a hearing aid.

Currently though, I look like a jock cup has been strapped to my ear. Hehe.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 15, 2009

Great updates! I'm glad you're starting to feel a little better.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Glad everything is going well so far and really happy to read that even though the room is spinning, you were throwing up and you have a jock cup on the side of your head, you still have your wonderful cutnglue humor :) Take it easy and will be praying on June 2 & 3 that everything goes well

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

I'm so glad to hear that everything went so well.

Isn't it bizarre walking into an OR and actually seeing what goes on there??

14. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

May 15, 2009

Best wishes, Cut!!
    Thanks God, Everything was ok!!!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2009

YES!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 15, 2009

I'm glad to hear it went well!!!!

I can't wait to hear more updates on how it works!!!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 15, 2009

So glad you came through okay. I'll be praying for smooth sailing on the 2nd and 3rd.

Will we be seeing any pictures of you with a jock strap on your head?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2009

I don't post pics on atoz because I talk about my work but if you ask me politely through PM and if you aren't from my area then I'll send you a pic in your email. ;)

I took like 10 pics but only one picture came out that didnt make me look like I was in pain, on drugs or evil. Even then a shadow was cast on my tooth and it makes me feel like I have food on it or a missing tooth. HAHa! That's what I get for trying to take a pic myself on a stupid phone camera.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

cng, I'm glad that surgery went well and hope that the recovery continues to go smoothly!

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Cut - hope you are feeling okay. I'll be thinking of you during the next few weeks. Keep us posted

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 15, 2009

What a brave woman you are. I hate surgery, and the recovery. Thanks for sharing with us.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2009

Hahaha, cutnglue. I think I'll pass on the PM offer..... So great to see that you keep your sense of humor even when you've been through something like this. I'm more of the nasty recuperator type.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2009

I'm being waited on hand and foot. Why would I hate that? Lol.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

Enjoy that!!

Congrats on this exciting step in your life!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2009

I am enjoying that part.

I took the jock cup turban off today and was able to wash my hair for the first time in 2 days. It was silky smooth. I should do that more often. Nah.

I haven't put my hearing aid back on (in my other ear) since the surgery either. I'm recouping with peace and quiet.

I'm much more tired today than I was yesterday. I'm not a napper so when I fall asleep without any trouble and don't try to fight it, that's a huge sign that my body is really tired.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2009

Definitely take advantage of being waited on. How long can you make that last?

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2009

Probably no more than another day or two if I'm lucky but I'm gonna try to push at least until Wednesday. LMBO! Heheheehe!

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2009

Oh, by all means, push it as far as you can. You've done your time.

29. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 16, 2009

Glad to hear you are resting well and I agree, stretch out the being waited on as long as possible!

30. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

CNG. I am happy that things are going well. Keep the hand and foot thing goin' for as long as you can.

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2009

Nanner, Nanner, Nanner...I don't have to go to work tomorrow. Lol.

This ice bag behind my ear is heavenly! Ahhh! Such is the life!

I finally needed more entertainment and decided to move my cascade of pillows to the end of my bed so I can see the t.v. from the left side of my face. I can't move my head to the right because that's the ear that hurts.

32. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

Best wishes, C&G!

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 18, 2009

Take care, Cut!

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 18, 2009

CNG-I am glad everything went well. I must say the dizziness part was not appealing at all.

Hopefully you'll continue to be waited on:) Sounds like you were able to move the dates up on the follow up. Awesome!

Take care and thank you for the great updates!

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2009

The follow-up for the surgery was today lemonhead. My activation dates are still June 2, 3 and 12th. I am very happy with those dates though. At first I didn't think I was going to have them after all (before summer school started). Those are the primo dates because those are the dates I get "turned on." I will definitely be posting on June 2 when I get my processor and they turn me on. I saw a definition for a cyborg today. I I'm now officially a cyborg. Hahaahaha.

Cyborg
    -noun
    a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.
    (www.dictionary.com)

36. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 18, 2009

I'm glad everything went well. I wear hearing aids, and although my hearing is not near the level of needing surgery, it always interests me when I hear someone's story.

37. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

So you had some residual hearing before the surgery right?? So when they activate the implant, how long do you think it'll take before your brain recognizes what it's hearing? It won't take as long for someone who had some hearing and knows that things sound like to adjust to the ci than someone who's never heard before and has no idea what they're hearing right??

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2009

I do have residual hearing--in the other ear. I implanted my worse ear. It's a big gamble because it hasn't been stimulated since I was 2 and it has never worn a hearing aid. I had forgotten I even had that ear to gamble with until the doctor brought it to my attention.

Periodically when I went to the doctor these past few years one would bring up the question of whether I would want to consider getting a CI. I always said no because I can't risk what hearing I have (and I would point to my good ear). What changed? One doctor said, "what about the other ear." Gasp, I have another ear. I seriously have never considered it because I had forgotten about that ear. For all practical purposes, I've never used it.

My hearing aid ear will have heard before. My brain will have some idea of what to do with sound, especially in the lower frequencies. That doesn't mean it will understand what's going on with this ear and this side. I have NO idea what to expect. I'm hoping for the best. I'm aware that the results would be different if I had done my better ear, even though it is pretty crappy too. I will likely have that one done later but for starters we are starting with the hard one.

39. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 19, 2009

CNG, I hope that it goes well on your appointments days.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

What do they call it when part of you is made of silicone?? :p

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2009

Alice, I was expecting a Star Trek reference so I was not prepared to answer that question. LOL. Umm...a Barbie?