Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Aug 2, 2007.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I am thinking about reading a book from the Chronicles of Narnia series to my 3rd graders this year. I'm having trouble deciding which book to read. I know The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is very popular, but I figure lots of the kids have already seen the movie. Should I start with that anyway or should I start with the very beginning, The Magician's Nephew? I'm only going to read one of the books as I like to introduce them to different series throughout the year. Any thoughts?

3. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Ooooh... I'm a Chronicles purist, and even though the current publisher has The Magician's Nephew NUMBERED as #1, it was actually the last one written, and I believe the series is best read in the order that it was written.

I believe starting with LWW and then going BACK to see how it all started in TMN is much more exciting. :)

I wouldn't worry about the movie's influence. Did that many 1st/2nd graders really see it? (It was kind scary! ;)) I know that by the time my 5th graders see most book-movies they'll always agree that the book is better. I even have a t-shirt that says, "Don't judge a book by its movie."

:D

Have fun!
    Chele :)

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

LWW is a 5th grade book in our system, so I can't touch it :( I think it would be the best to start with though, if you are reading aloud to 3rd graders. It won't be a big deal if some are familiar with the movie.

Sort of off-topic, but I love reading books with my students then showing the movie. I love to discuss after we watch and hear all of the comparing/contrasting and evaluation going on. Unfortunately, Hollywood cannot seem to make a G-rated movie anymore, and I am hesitant to show some PG movies...although I have shown Shiloh and a few others that are PG.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

I would read the Magician's nephew (sorry CheleOH ;) )- its very funny in places and a great romp - it also introduces a character that will be familiar to them from LWW.

6. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

*GASP* ancientcivteach -- someone has a *DIFFERENT* opinion!?!?!?!? ;) I guess I'm just p.o.'d that the publisher messed with the order. I can certainly understand reading it chronologically, but.... :D

collteach - we can show PG movies with parent permission; we even have a special form to be filled out and returned. Does your school/district have something similar. It's a PITA, but it's sure surprising how fast those slips come back when the kids know they might miss the movie. :D

Chele :)

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

I think the LWW is the best of the bunch. ( I also liked the Last Battle but the ending was awful.) The Magician's Nephew tells how the whole thing started, but is just "okay". A Horse and His Boy is a better story (in my opinion), but still not as good as LWW. Prince Caspian would probably be a good choice, if you think the class is familiar with the plot and characters in LWW. It has the same characters in the story. Go to http://books.narnia.com to get a synopsis of each story.

8. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Pamela, check with your upper elem grades before reading it. I use that book in fifth grade as a whole class reading!

9. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm going to read LWW this year. I do plan on checking with the older grades to make sure that it isn't a novel they'll be studying. One of the books I wanted to read was Frindle, but I heard the grade fives do that one :(