Chromebooks

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JayZee, Jan 13, 2016.

1. JayZee

JayZee New Member

Jan 13, 2016

I am often using Chromebooks with my classes. I have started experimenting with collaborative learning strategies on Chromebooks and would like to know if anyone else has done this before? Does collaborative learning strategies assist in students motivation to learn and to what extent? What works for you?

Thanks

3. JayZee

JayZee New Member

Jan 19, 2016

Yes, I have used both suggestions for collaboration, i.e. using 1 chromebook for a group of students and also each student having a chromebook. I have also tried flipped classroom as a learning strategy.
    My intention is to continue these strategies into 2016 and see if my students will benefit from them. Which of these have worked best for you and why?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2016

I am the technology integration leader at our school but even I use technology very sparingly in the classroom. Part of it is that we don't have enough Chromebooks or the infrastructure for everyone to be on a Chromebook and access the internet from home. However I do on occasion have students complete activities on Chromebooks. Sometimes I have them access a computer simulation and they all take observations on one or two Chromebooks. Sometimes I task them with creating a presentation as a group.

I guess I could say that the presentations are something I probably wouldn't have done without the Chromebooks (it's possible to do with making posters, but not really easy).

For some things, I think it's pretty cool, like they can all log data on the same spreadsheet and we can graph class data which helps us to see which data points don't really match the rest of the set. The powerpoints are a bit harder. I find that one student pretty much does all of the work, but I guess that's pretty much true for any group project.

I find they are useful for research. Some students may be on the Chromebooks for research, while the other work on other things in the group. I think a perfectly collaborative classroom can be run without Chromebooks or computers, but I do believe that using them is like adding sprinkles to an already tasty cake. They make learning more varied and interesting, but you should use it sparingly otherwise it just becomes another boring work tool.

JayZee likes this.
  5. JayZee

JayZee New Member

Jan 20, 2016

Thanks for the comments. I think you are right. One should use them sparingly to ensure best use of the Chromebooks.

6. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jan 23, 2016

We have the ability to use chromebooks 1 to 1 in my school. As long as the lesson is tailored properly, chromebooks can be powerful tools in collaborative work. We use Smartamp to build a lot of collaborative lessons. I suggest starting there if you want some ideas.

JayZee likes this.
  7. JayZee

JayZee New Member

Jan 24, 2016

Hi Merc,SMART amp looks great. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely give it a go.